Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 67
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Here's another problem. Many of the songs I have that are now available as iTunes Plus selections do not show up in the "Upgrade My Library" list. I've seen a couple other people mention this but I'll bet it's happening to a lot more people and they just haven't noticed.



  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JKMoses View Post


    Did anyone notice in the release notes that this version of iTunes is compatible with Windows Vista FINALLY? It's about time!



    So it's taken them 4 months to do a proper vista version. Intel Macs have been out for over a year, and we're still waiting for Intel native Office for Macs........



    Has anyone else found that not all their EMI tracks are available yet? For example, Gorillaz singles are available, but not the albums (especially strange as the Albarn's new band played at the press conference)!



    PS: Anyone who thought this was a bad idea, especially recording industry whores, need only witness the overload on the iTs today!
  • Reply 43 of 67
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    I was wondering about this before I saw it:

    "iTunes will also provide customers a a simple, one-click option that will allow them to easily upgrade their library of previously purchased EMI content to iTunes Plus tracks for just 30 cents a song and $3.00 for most albums."



    That is really cool that you can upgrade. And to those thinking Apple raised the prices and are pocketing the .30 per song, you're wrong. Blame the RIAA and record companies for the increase. I'm sure Apple may get a piece of that .30 but they also now have to have more storage and more bandwidth for the bigger files. I say it's a VERY fair trade to use my tracks when I want, how I want, and on as many computers as I want. I go through computers at least every 3-6 months. I have tracks I purchased through iTMS that I can't use any more because I've connected them to too many computers, and they can't be reset any more. It is the #1 reason I won't purchase from iTMS any more. Once more electronic and punk songs go 256 mp3, I'll be buying from iTMS again.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JKMoses View Post


    Did anyone notice in the release notes that this version of iTunes is compatible with Windows Vista FINALLY? It's about time!



    Compatibility occurred when Microsoft finally released its fix for Windows Vista.



    But nonetheless, this is the first iTunes release since Microsoft's fix.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins


    I think you can upgrade individual songs, by clicking on the 'plus' sign next to the individual song upgrade price (in the US, '$0.30').



    However, its difficult to tell, because whenever I do so, I get a 'the iTunes Store could not complete your request, try again later' message. It could be that the servers are overloaded, it could be that its not an option... probably the former.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    What you're saying conforms to what I remember, so I'm sure you're right about it being able to do that.



    I can't believe Apple would require one to upgrade all of them at once.



    I'm actually going to disavow by previous assumption. I was finally able to click on that 'plus' sign and get it do something, and all it does is take you to a page that explains a little bit about iTunes Plus and lets you change your preferences so you always see the iTunes Plus version of available songs and albums.



    I see no option yet that allows you to upgrade individual songs and albums yet, only all the songs in your Library that can be upgraded, en masse. W-T-F Apple???



    .
  • Reply 46 of 67
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    Your comments: hmm, for some reason the albums are cheaper in iTunes Plus mode.



    $7.99 for 13 songs at $1.29



    seems like they're missing $8.78...







    anybody else get this?
  • Reply 47 of 67
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Is it just Canadians who have to pay more for a DRM-free album, or did other countries (like the UK) also get hit?
  • Reply 48 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post


    Your comments: hmm, for some reason the albums are cheaper in iTunes Plus mode.



    $7.99 for 13 songs at $1.29



    seems like they're missing $8.78...







    anybody else get this?



    The price of the album (at least in the US) is supposed to be the same as the old price, $9.99 for most albums.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    The site is just too error-prone for me to use right now. When I signed up for my iTunes account, it gave me an error message but sent me an email that my account was registered.



    All searches return nothing, even artists that I know for sure are with EMI.



    GRRRR!
  • Reply 50 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    The site is just too error-prone for me to use right now. When I signed up for my iTunes account, it gave me an error message but sent me an email that my account was registered.



    All searches return nothing, even artists that I know for sure are with EMI.



    GRRRR!



    Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.



    I've never bought anything from the store before. I refuse to pay for DRM. The only reason I'm at the store is because they're offering DRM-free music and I want to try it out. I'm looking to make new purchases.



    I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.



    It's true that the site is probably too busy for some people, but that section I told you about shows you their selection of DRM free tunes.



    Advanced search does have a checkbox that limits it to only show results with iTP tracks.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.



    The problem is that feature isn't working correctly either. I've got a bunch of songs that are now being offered for $1.29 as iTunes Plus tracks but they are not showing up in the Upgrade My Library section. It only showed 8 out of 17 tracks all of which are eligible.



    Don't assume that it is upgrading all the tracks it should be as it's not detecting all of them for some reason. Must be some glitch with the store as it goes off the purchase history.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    but that section I told you about shows you their selection of DRM free tunes.



    Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.



    Agreed!



    Even though I couldn't really find anything in their list that I like, but I an buying a song anywa just to show my support, except it is SOOOO SLOW and keeps erroring out!



    I hope these problems are due to heavy traffic and not internal problems



    WOW! 56 hrs to DL a 14MB song!
  • Reply 56 of 67
    cleverboycleverboy Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    I've never bought anything from the store before. I refuse to pay for DRM. The only reason I'm at the store is because they're offering DRM-free music and I want to try it out. I'm looking to make new purchases.

    I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.



    You're probably right. My co-worker said he didn't know what the fuss was about, but promptly began upgrading his music on his laptop, the moment his iTunes updated. I've upgraded my Corrine Bailey Rae for $2.40, and one track of Coldplay. I found myself forgetting that some of the albums I most wanted to upgrade weren't available. I'm going to be comparing the sound fidelity this evening to hear what I was missing... or if my hearing is unfortunately lacking.



    Here is a DIRECT LINK to the iTunes Plus area.

    https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...iTunesPlusPage

    EDIT: How odd, that link ONLY works inside of iTunes. No remote linking... at least not yet. How queer.



    I found this amusing though... someone at Apple was in a rush and put a TYPO in the dialog box. I mean, come on... is that really a permanant part of the software now until the next update? Yikes. "or music video WHENVEVER". (Snicker)

    [CENTER][/CENTER]



    Ok, ok... I find this interesting too... Steve's comments on All Things Digital. My new favorite quote.



    [CENTER]

    "We've got cards and

    letters from lots of people that say

    iTunes is their favorite app on Windows.

    It's like giving a glass of ice water to

    someone in Hell!" ~ Steve Jobs, "All Things D"[/CENTER]
  • Reply 57 of 67
    cleverboycleverboy Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.



    There was a time when I was suggesting they just make it a separate store and call it iTunes Open. My feeling is that people might not want to even MIX what is available DRM-free with what's avail WITH DRM. As it stands, I agree... that's a shame. There's not even a power-search for it... whoops. Hang on. I didn't notice this...



    [CENTER][/CENTER]



    I just clicked on "PowerSearch" from the homepage, and there's an extra checkbox after I've clicked specifically to filter for "music". I think that works (that, along with the "iTunes Plus" button on the homepage under "Quicklinks" on the right.)
  • Reply 58 of 67
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Who was asking for a price reduction again? Already, it's a massive price reduction where you can (usually) buy just the tracks you want rather than having to buy the entire album as you had to before.



    My point is DRM free music should not be sold at a premium price. It's a joke, its not like it cost more to make tracks DRM free. Its not a move in the right direction if your getting charged extra for something that shouldn't be there anyways. At 1.29 it costs more to download a full album than it does to buy the CD which is DRM free.



    Who is asking for price reductions? I would guess the 62 millions still using services like Limwire to download.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    At 1.29 it costs more to download a full album than it does to buy the CD which is DRM free.



    No, it doesn't, at least in the US. If you buy the full album, you pay the same price as you would have before.



    Quote:

    Who is asking for price reductions? I would guess the 62 millions still using services like Limwire to download.



    I wouldn't count music thieves as a target market for paid music. How many of them would really pay anything at all?
  • Reply 60 of 67
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    One question , when I upgrade to iTunes 7.2 , I noticed that I have to enter my account name and password every time I open the application . Is there any way that I won't have to do that step every time I use iTunes ?
Sign In or Register to comment.