Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

=extremeskater;1088333

Who is asking for price reductions? I would guess the 62 millions still using services like Limwire to download.

So you think that thieves should have their desires taken into account?
  • Reply 62 of 67
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    Sweden store's acting weird. Yesterday the Upgrade service showed an album and a couple of songs available for upgrade (Röyksopp among others, ironically shown shown as a Plus download further down the Plus page...) and when I chose to upgrade I got the error message about the store not currently being available. Probably being hammered I thought and opted to try again later. When I tried again I got the same error message as the guy from UK above about how the content had "moved" or some such thing.

Now the Upgrade things shows my library as already upgraded/up to date... Ok, ok so it's only been out a day, but since I acutally saw my albums available in the upgrade option just to disappear after I tried to upgrade makes me paranoid. Hope it'll go away as the traffic goes down but from previous experiences it usually comes down to alot of e-mailing to the support staff... \
  • Reply 63 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

My point is DRM free music should not be sold at a premium price.

Unfortunately, that's the price of getting the major labels on board, and they have 70% of all music in their catalogs.

They want variable pricing, and Apple's willing to give it to them, if they're willing to go DRM-free in return. Real world, real compromises.

• Reply 64 of 67
    joryjejoryje Posts: 1member
    Now I'm looking forward for iTunes Plus+ with DRM-free Apple Lossless songs...
  • Reply 65 of 67
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    The Inquirer has an article up asserting that all iTunes plus tracks have a large amount of user info imbedded in the track, including itunes account info.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39957

Has anybody had a look at one of these files to confirm this? Seems like a dodgy assertion to me, but I just read it five minutes ago, so I really know nothing.

Edit: Looks like histrionics. Your username & email has been in ITMS purchases since the beginning. Not sure if there's a way to strip it, or alter it, but I'd imagine so.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

The Inquirer has an article up asserting that all iTunes plus tracks have a large amount of user info imbedded in the track, including itunes account info.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39957

Has anybody had a look at one of these files to confirm this? Seems like a dodgy assertion to me, but I just read it five minutes ago, so I really know nothing.

Edit: Looks like histrionics. Your username & email has been in ITMS purchases since the beginning. Not sure if there's a way to strip it, or alter it, but I'd imagine so.

It is at least somewhat true, though I expected the Inquirer to blow it out of proportion because that's what they do. On this week's sample, my user name and email is in the file. If you reencode it, it's gone. I'm sure there will be some stripper that removes this information without requiring a re-encode.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    aartaart Posts: 1member
    you don't need DRM

just burn the songs to a rewritable cd-rom as aiff-audio cd

and import them again, and gone is the DRM

Aart