Jobs sheds new light on Apple iPhone at D conference

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    I actually am a female that reads the forums, however, I rarely post. I registered just to make you all aware there are some females!!!
  • Reply 22 of 58
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Umm. So what? Using an open Wi-Fi access point has been ruled to be illegal - or at least an arrestable "offense". Unauthorized computer use, terrorism, and all that.

I think the days of open WAPs are going to be short lived.

- Jasen.

• Reply 23 of 58
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Girls are smelly
  • Reply 24 of 58
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

appleinsider looks okay on a wm phone. about the same as every other vbulletin site on an wm phone.

well, i guess you and I have different expectations about what is "okay".
  • Reply 25 of 58
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post

Girls are smelly

How old are you, boy -- 12? Do your parents know that you're posting on an online forum, or don't they care?
  • Reply 26 of 58
    I sure hope his smiling has something to do with the storage on the iPhone. 4-8gigs is hardly what I would call a feature of "the best iPod ever".
  • Reply 27 of 58
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Jobs is on crack. Most mobile phone software is written in Java, and there are almost no security issues with Java.

I cannot find them now. But I've read a couple of articles describing how Cocoa is a far superior development platform than Java.

I don't know what's to blame but there are also plenty of reports of phones being hacked.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

3G covers only 10% of the US, if even. And WiFi is growing a lot faster, and it's faster, and free in a lot of places. That's why the iPhone didn't need it in the US, yet. Europe is a different matter.

Well, I quess it depends on what is meant by 3G then.

My Treo 700p browses at up to 700kbs or higher download speeds. upload is about 15% of that though.

Sprint's coverage with this is pretty well all over the country.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

Hold on a sec, don't assume that the iPhone will be an open platform, thats not going to happen while cingular have apple's testicles in their fists. Semi-open maybe, but not open-open!

Having apple test 3rd party applications for security holes and bugs is just an excuse, cingular will Im sure have to give approval behind the scenes also.

Imagine the impact of allowing an application to be developed that enables voip over wifi for example!

The Palm and Windows Mobile platforms are open platforms. There are thousands of programs for them.

Open platform doesn't mean that you can do EVERYTHING.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

3G covers only 10% of the US, if even. And WiFi is growing a lot faster, and it's faster, and free in a lot of places. That's why the iPhone didn't need it in the US, yet. Europe is a different matter.

Funny, I get 3G service on Sprint nearly everywhere I travel in US metro cities.

Wifi is rarely free, you have to fork out $10/day at nearly every hotel, Starbucks or airport in the country, which is a huge ripoff. I know, I travel on business throughout the US, all the time! This seems like a ridiculous business model, if indeed Apple/iPhone is depending in wifi for internet functionality. 3G would have been MUCH better IMHO.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Jobs is on crack. Most mobile phone software is written in Java, and there are almost no security issues with Java. I know Jobs has some sort of personal animosity towards Java, but it would be a solid solution here.

Talk about who's on crack!

Yes, there are security issues with Java, and its implementations.

Just ask Apple, they will point you to theirs.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Funny, I get 3G service on Sprint nearly everywhere I travel in US metro cities.

Wifi is rarely free, you have to fork out $10/day at nearly every hotel, Starbucks or airport in the country, which is a huge ripoff. I know, I travel on business throughout the US, all the time! This seems like a ridiculous business model, if indeed Apple/iPhone is depending in wifi for internet functionality. 3G would have been MUCH better IMHO.

It costs money?

No serious. How much does starbucks cost to get online from their coffee tables?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Girls are smelly

You're from Ireland, and you say that?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I cannot find them now. But I've read a couple of articles describing how Cocoa is a far superior development platform than Java.

I don't know what's to blame but there are also plenty of reports of phones being hacked.

Bluetooth is a wonderful gateway for hackers.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Jobs simply confirmed what everybody already knew: the iPhone will eventually be an open platform.

Also, what's with all the Lane Bryant ads for women's clothing. I highly doubt there's a lot of women on this site. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Absolutely right! Those unsightly behemoths were getting on my nerves, too. I had to refresh the page 3 or 4 times, before giving up and clicking ahead to the Comments just to avoid being tortured by their appalling corpulent carcasses.

(For topic's sake..) Go iPhone! can't wait.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're from Ireland, and you say that?

They're extra smelly over here
  • Reply 37 of 58
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Jobs is on crack. Most mobile phone software is written in Java, and there are almost no security issues with Java. I know Jobs has some sort of personal animosity towards Java, but it would be a solid solution here.

In the early days of Mac OS Apple believed the hype and tried to move/bridge all their frameworks to Java. They actually moved WebObjects and Enterprise Objects framework (EOF), now they are Java only. But they recognized this move as a mistake and all new frameworks - CoreData, CoreImage, CoreAnimation, QTKit etc. - are Objective C only. There are 3 (related) problems here: 1) Java is a third party development and they can not optimize it the way they want, 2) It lacks the level of C and UNIX integration Objective C has (performance issues), and, most importantly, 3) the HUGE advantage of the iPhone is that it is a Mac OS X based device. Making it just another Java toy would change the game entirely!

Note that Windows Mobile shares the same name with Windows (XP, Vista), bit it is entirely different platform.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I spent 2 years writing enterprise class logistics applications in Java and WebObjects. I can assure you that there are plenty of security vulnerabilities with Java applications. Yes most phone applications are written in Java, but then again, most mobile phone applications are crap!
  • Reply 39 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    So if it has Wi-Fi and Safari, then who needs third party applications? Developers can do pretty much everything they want with web apps.

m
  • Reply 40 of 58
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Odd, I can't recall ever paying for WiFi when traveling. Find a Panera, Bear Rock Cafe, or most any local indy coffee shop. Voila. Free WiFi.

Google for WiFi finder lists, and you'll find that anyone who pays for WiFi is pretty much getting ripped off.

In my estimation, if I get an iPhone, 90% of the data transfer will be over WiFi, based on where I spend my time.