Jobs sheds new light on Apple iPhone at D conference

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Inc.'s iconic leader was cautious but still insightful during an interview at the Wall Street Journal event, explaining how the company is tackling Internet access, video, and the sensitive question of third-party software for the iPhone.

Beyond his introduction of new Apple TV features, CEO Steve Jobs also spoke out during the question-and-answer session with Walt Mossberg, justifying the reasoning behind much of the iPhone's inner workings.

The company head defended a handful of the controversial decisions made that could limit the cellphone's initial appeal, particularly software. For Jobs, the question of third-party software was now a question of "when" rather than "if:" the main issues now were to protect the phone against crashes and security holes, which he said have frequently ruined the experience for smartphones in the past. Pressure on the firm to change its current, closed-off approach was evident in Jobs' reactionary tone.

"We would like to solve this problem," he said. "And if you could just be a little more patient with us, we?ll do it."

One feature that was dismissed immediately, however, was direct video downloading through the cellular network. In the present climate, buying videos through provider networks 'doesn't make sense' and is too expensive to be viable, according to the CEO. Video is nevertheless important to the company's strategy and prompted Jobs to make a relatively rare confession to the audience that his early skepticism about video on handhelds was unfounded.

"People have watched a lot of video on iPods,? he notes. ?Video is here to stay on portable devices."

Jobs was also quick to back the choice to ship the first iPhone as a strictly 2.5G wireless device rather than move directly to 3G. The use of cellular Internet is more a convenience than a necessity, he argued, noting that Wi-Fi was "way faster" than 3G and that the iPhone would alert its user when they stepped within range of a hotspot. Growth of Wi-Fi also meant that coverage would be enough for most users.

Still, he acknowledged that one of the motivations for AT&T to choose the iPhone was to help bolster the carrier's 3G network. Most don't have mainstream devices that offer any more than a "baby Internet," Jobs noted, and the iPhone would help drive business.

In spite of the newly added clarity to the company's stance on the iPhone, attendees expecting a surprise announcement a month ahead of the release were frustrated early during the interview. Jobs teased the crowd when asked by Mossberg whether the assembly would learn of any secret features at the event.

"No," Jobs said, smiling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    That sounds reasonable.

I started a 2 yr contract when the iPhone was announced as a prophylactic against buying something that I did'nt need and/or couldnt afford in a fit of Spring excitement. I suspect I will be champing at the bit for the iPhone in its second or third G...
  • Reply 2 of 58
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Jobs simply confirmed what everybody already knew: the iPhone will eventually be an open platform.

Also, what's with all the Lane Bryant ads for women's clothing. I highly doubt there's a lot of women on this site. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Jobs simply confirmed what everybody already knew: the iPhone will eventually be an open platform.

Everybody did not know that. Half the bloggers talking about the iPhone constantly say it will fail because its a closed platform. Now they know there is one less thing to bitch about.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the main issues now were to protect the phone against crashes and security holes, which he said have frequently ruined the experience for smartphones in the past.

Not that I've had any problems with this in the paat, but I imagine the iPhones huge popularity makes it a big target.

Quote:

Growth of Wi-Fi also meant that coverage would be enough for most users.

Maybe where he lives...

Quote:

Still, he acknowledged that one of the motivations for AT&T to choose the iPhone was to help bolster the carrier's 3G network.

By not including a 3G radio? Or does this translate to 'please help us sign up a crapload of customers so we can get some cash influx to help build a 3G network that rivals CDMA carriers in the US... At least we're not TMobile...'

Quote:

Most don't have mainstream devices that offer any more than a "baby Internet," Jobs noted,

errrr.... What? I can do almost anything on a WM phone that I can do on a desktop as far as the interweb is concerned. I understand somethings aren't particulary easy, but normal people won't use half the features and power a smart device gives them.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Also, what's with all the Lane Bryant ads for women's clothing. I highly doubt there's a lot of women on this site. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I've wondered about that too! (And the MSFT-related ads as well).
  • Reply 6 of 58
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

errrr.... What? I can do almost anything on a WM phone that I can do on a desktop as far as the interweb is concerned. I understand somethings aren't particulary easy, but normal people won't use half the features and power a smart device gives them.

True. Because they're too damned hard to use. I've seen someone put away their smartphone, to pull out a laptop to browse.

'Can do' != 'want to do'. With the command line, I *can* do pretty much anything I can think of on my Mac. The question is... do I *want* to do it that way?
  • Reply 7 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    3G covers only 10% of the US, if even. And WiFi is growing a lot faster, and it's faster, and free in a lot of places. That's why the iPhone didn't need it in the US, yet. Europe is a different matter.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:

I noticed those ads too!

Anyway, calling the iPhone an "open platform" might be a little too loose of a description. I'm sure, and as insinuated by Apple, any 3rd party development would be restricted. It won't (I think) and shouldn't (I think) be open to anyone who chooses to develop for it.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 9 of 58
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Hold on a sec, don't assume that the iPhone will be an open platform, thats not going to happen while cingular have apple's testicles in their fists. Semi-open maybe, but not open-open!

Having apple test 3rd party applications for security holes and bugs is just an excuse, cingular will Im sure have to give approval behind the scenes also.

Imagine the impact of allowing an application to be developed that enables voip over wifi for example!
  • Reply 10 of 58
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

Can you really browse a web page as if you were using a browser on a WM phone?

What does appleInsider.com look like on a WM phone? Would I really (read: easily) be able to write this reply on this forum?

Or is that part of the stuff not in "almost anything"?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

What does appleInsider.com look like on a WM phone? Would I really (read: easily) be able to write this reply on this forum?

word.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

"Speculated" is not equal to "knew". There was next to no information on this, the only information out was a Newsweek interview where Jobs was extremely guarded as to how third party software was to be handled, and the way it was worded was that Apple was likely going to be the gatekeeper. Even now, I don't see where it was said that iPhone was going to be an open platform. Allowing third party software doesn't mean open platform on its own, Apple could very well go the console route where the Apple could veto software by denying permission to distribute, require royalties, and could go even further, where you could only buy software through iTunes like one can only buy iPod games through iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"Speculated" is not equal to "knew". There was no information on this, the only information out was a Newsweek interview where Jobs was extremely guarded as to how third party software was to be handled, and the way it was worded was that Apple was likely going to be the gatekeeper. Even now, I don't see where it was said that iPhone was going to be an open platform. Allowing third party software doesn't mean allowing anyone, Apple could very well go the console route where the console maker could veto a game, require royalties, and could go even further, where you could only buy software through iTunes like one can only buy iPod games through iTunes.

Ok, "Open Platform" may have been a poor choice of words. However, I think it was clear on the day of the iPhone announcement that Apple could not keep such a hot, revolutionary new interface to themselves. Developers would be knocking on their door non stop.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Everybody did not know that. Half the bloggers talking about the iPhone constantly say it will fail because its a closed platform. Now they know there is one less thing to bitch about.

And let's not forget the odd "it doesn't even have WiFi" comments that pop up occasionally.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

appleinsider looks okay on a wm phone. about the same as every other vbulletin site on an wm phone. you can write a reply as easily as you can use a thumbboard some people don't like typing with their thumbs and i'm certainly much much slower on a phone than on a keyboard, but yes, you can do all of those things on a windows mobile phone, or a palm phone for that matter.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Ok, "Open Platform" may have been a poor choice of words. However, I think it was clear on the day of the iPhone announcement that Apple could not keep such a hot, revolutionary new interface to themselves. Developers would be knocking on their door non stop.

The iPhone, since it is always on, will be far harder to secure, then a laptop or of course an iPod. I would love to see a Palm-like community of apps arise, but I can understand that it will need UI standards and security standards to be tested for awhile before they can get much beyond the hacker stage.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Jobs is on crack. Most mobile phone software is written in Java, and there are almost no security issues with Java. I know Jobs has some sort of personal animosity towards Java, but it would be a solid solution here.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

The use of cellular Internet is more a convenience than a necessity, he argued, noting that Wi-Fi was "way faster" than 3G and that the iPhone would alert its user when they stepped within range of a hotspot. Growth of Wi-Fi also meant that coverage would be enough for most users.

Umm. So what? Using an open Wi-Fi access point has been ruled to be illegal - or at least an arrestable "offense". Unauthorized computer use, terrorism, and all that.

I think the days of open WAPs are going to be short lived.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er, well, a few idiotic towns have passed short-sighted laws like that, and besides, the guy was arrested for using someone *else's* WAP without permission. Not the same as offering a free WAP.

Honestly, I think that those laws will be repealed rather quickly. They're beyond stupid.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Jobs is on crack. Most mobile phone software is written in Java, and there are almost no security issues with Java. I know Jobs has some sort of personal animosity towards Java, but it would be a solid solution here.

True, I was going to mention this in my earlier post, J2ME provides decent security buit in, it may not give developers all the power they want but would be good enough for many useful applications. Its cingular that want the platform closed (or semi-closed) not apple I would say