Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches online outlet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    eevoleevol Posts: 3member
    Any word on an upgraded GPU? The X1600 isn't cutting it with the newer games.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    [QUOTE=JeffDM;1089020

Oh bummer.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think they should be banned. But they should reveive a warning for the first time. Second time they should be banned.

Same thing for any other self-serving, or worthless, post with no other writing in the post expressing an idea or information.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9j_tYP-kzc

Okay itsa silly table from Microsoft, but imagine if Apple's imminent MBP would get rid of the keyboard in favour of a multi touch screen:

1/ You would be able to use your virtual keyboard when you need it, offering a new world of opportunities to manipulate your second (vertical) screen.

2/ Imagine if you're on the road and you want to transfer your new pictures from the iphone to iPhoto. No need to carry your extra cables as you just put your iPhone on the first (horizontal) screen and throw your pictures on the vertical screen ?
  • Reply 44 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does it have connotations of drunkenness? Like "tipsy"?

No, it makes me think of the old Batman series.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Alternatively, I guess we could start referring to 'tipsters' as 'web surfers' or 'readers.' =P

Readers, sounds good.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

Any ideas?

Also, how likely is it that we see a Blu-Ray or DVD-HD drive in this refresh? How likely for a enclosure redesign?

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive won't happen yet... and it probably won't until the laptops go full HD, at the earliest. Enclosure redesign in my eyes is unlikely, though entirely possible. I'd give it between a 35% and 40% chance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jahadeem View Post

Well if they use OLED it's possible.

No, it's not. The price of the machines would skyrocket. Sorry, it's just too soon for OLED due to costs... heck, it's still too early for a 17" LED!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Wait a second, they detailed weight reduction for both models, 0.4 reduction for the 15" and 0.6 for the 17". That would suggest both models getting LED displays.

As mentioned, they may have rounded this time. Here's a thought... what are the chances the reason it was considered a 'misfire' was because it had old specs on it, or was totally based on the previous transmission for MBPs? I think it's much too unreliable to base anything on that transmission sent and then retracted by Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EEVOL View Post

Any word on an upgraded GPU? The X1600 isn't cutting it with the newer games.

There's been no talk based on any fact or report. Simply speculation. I am of the opinion that they will upgrade them in preparation for Leopard, especially with its graphics/reolution independence

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9j_tYP-kzc

Okay itsa silly table from Microsoft, but imagine if Apple's imminent MBP would get rid of the keyboard in favour of a multi touch screen:

1/ You would be able to use your virtual keyboard when you need it, offering a new world of opportunities to manipulate your second (vertical) screen.

2/ Imagine if you're on the road and you want to transfer your new pictures from the iphone to iPhoto. No need to carry your extra cables as you just put your iPhone on the first (horizontal) screen and throw your pictures on the vertical screen ?

3/ Imagine paying $2000 more for the thing. Sorry, but two screens in a laptop, and one of them being touch screen, will cost them waaayyy too much. It's a really cool thought, but it's not going to happen anytime too soon. \
  • Reply 48 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I agree. I think they should be banned. But they should reveive a warning for the first time. Second time they should be banned.

Same thing for any other self-serving, or worthless, post with no other writing in the post expressing an idea or information.

"Andrewcod" did get a warning. If you look at his post history, every single post this year has been "digg it" and nothing more.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is this "digg it" thing?
  • Reply 50 of 78
    www.digg.com

Join us in 2007 buddy!
  • Reply 51 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

www.digg.com

Join us in 2007 buddy!

Join you in devolution? No thanks.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    I'm still hoping for the integrated sensing display... Eye-contact video conferencing. It's the only way to take the gimmick out of iSight.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

www.digg.com

Join us in 2007 buddy!

Wait, you're serious? Here's a better idea! Bonus: It's actually reliable.

Sebastian
  • Reply 54 of 78
    kurtzkurtz Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Imagine paying $2000 more for the thing. Sorry, but two screens in a laptop, and one of them being touch screen, will cost them waaayyy too much. It's a really cool thought, but it's not going to happen anytime too soon. \

Ok, so how about just the one screen, but it pivots around to cover the keyboard, in which position it becomes a MultiTouch tablet?

I wouldn't know about the tech required for iPhone / Surface - style M-T image responses but isn't it possible that one aim of the graphics enhancements coming in Leopard (resolution independence / core animation, etc) is to facilitate this type of thing?
  • Reply 55 of 78
    irahodgesirahodges Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

Ok, so how about just the one screen, but it pivots around to cover the keyboard, in which position it becomes a MultiTouch tablet?

The thing with MS Surface Table is that it uses cameras positioned around the room to see what you set on the table and it transfers data wirelessly. You could sort of do the same thing with a macbook pro and a touch screen, but without the cameras, a lot of the external interaction would be limited. Of course, unless apple innovated and created something amazing, which they tend to do anyways.

Bottom line...nothing like that this year. This is just the beginning of the touch interface market. It will be widespread next year.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irahodges View Post

Bottom line...nothing like that this year. This is just the beginning of the touch interface market. It will be widespread next year.

Even next year is a bit ambitious. New technology usually flounders a bit for two to four years before it either dies or gets accepted. Right now, my hope is that there is a practical use for it, computer technologies usually needs a "killer app" before people accept it for regular use.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Andrewcod" did get a warning. If you look at his post history, every single post this year has been "digg it" and nothing more.

I don't keep track of it. After clicking on the first two or three digg links here, I now just pass the posts by without looking at the authors name.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

I wouldn't know about the tech required for iPhone / Surface - style M-T image responses but isn't it possible that one aim of the graphics enhancements coming in Leopard (resolution independence / core animation, etc) is to facilitate this type of thing?

That's nothing new at all.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irahodges View Post

The thing with MS Surface Table is that it uses cameras positioned around the room to see what you set on the table and it transfers data wirelessly. You could sort of do the same thing with a macbook pro and a touch screen, but without the cameras, a lot of the external interaction would be limited. Of course, unless apple innovated and created something amazing, which they tend to do anyways.

I seem to temember reading that the cameras are UNDER the screen, not around the room.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    It would be great to see the mbp's getting magnetic latches like the macbooks. I'm so happy with mine. They should also update them make them look more spiffy. I'm one of the people who thinks the black mbs look better than the pros. And before you start bashing on plastic casing, remember that may be a good reason my mbs get better wifi reception than mbps. But I'm sure plastic won't keep it cooler and mbps run hotter.