Surely there's a market for truly robust MacBook Pro's.....

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    You all are absolutely right. What we're talking about is sort of an iMac with battery life?but even the current models can take advantage of the crop of emerging ingest solutions.

I guess my overall conclusion is to plead patience. In many respects, today's Macbook Pro blows away yesterday's mighty dual processor G5 desktops. It just tells you how quickly the ballgame can change. These are good times.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    You're better off starting with an XServe and having someone build a custom enclosure with battery pack for you. 1U, has slots and up to a couple TB of disk. Luggable rather than mobile. There was at least one company that ruggedized G5 XServes for "other" uses.

Power usage is the problem though. Not a big deal if you have a vehicle but no luggable battery is going to last more than a few minutes. Not all that useful in the field.

Vinea
  • Reply 23 of 51
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.asad View Post

I was thinking strictly for Film & Recording. I know nothing of the gaming world to speculate if such a machine would appeal to gamers.

The machines I linked to are as close in spec to the one being requested as there is on the market. While those laptops are designed primarliy for gaming, they have monster video cards, storage, etc. Although their processors are nothing more than C2Ds, their supporting stuff is pretty incredible.

I, personally, am waiting for a much smaller laptop. But I can see where power users might feel a bit jipped by Apple's current offerings. The MacBook Pros just got a nice speed bump, but there is little else, performance-wise, to differentiate them from the competition (excluding the OS, of course). It was nice of Apple to add 2GB RAM across the board, but I still think they are lacking in HDD, Optical Drive and Video as compared to what the other guys are doing.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

TBH, I may differ from what the gamers want.

I have virtually no interest in graphics capability.

I only need increased processor/max RAM

Minimum:

Two Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz

6gb RAM max

Favorable:

Quad 2.66Ghz Xeon

8gb RAM max

Also one single PCI-e expansion slot

Those specs are dumb. It's not marketable. Just buy a desktop.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Can you run Mac OX (easily I mean) on them? No.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

Can you run Mac OX (easily I mean) on them? No.

On a desktop?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

On a desktop?

Yeah really, I wonder what that means too. I guess he means PC desktop, which for some reason he sees as better.

Oh, and:

It's Macbook Pros, not "pro's"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Reply 28 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

http://voodoopc.com/sellpage/sellpage.aspx?spid=74

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT

All one must do is plunk down the cash and prepare for a back ache! Big-time gaming systems for big-time gamers. I don't think Apple is ready for this stuff.

All those systems add is weight and sli graphics cards. Big deal. Compared to a MBP, any gain you get on the gpu side may be offset by the weaker cpu( AMD Turion). I doubt those systems are any faster than a MBP.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

All those systems add is weight and sli graphics cards. Big deal. Compared to a MBP, any gain you get on the gpu side may be offset by the weaker cpu( AMD Turion). I doubt those systems are any faster than a MBP.

They're not, processor-wise. BUt they are about the only things on the market close to what is being asked for. I posted those links to give everyone a good taste of what you could expect:

High price, heavy as hell.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Merom XE and intel SLI are coming this fall. Seriously, what is with this tendency to viciously attack anything and anyone that has an idea other than the almighty Apple? Not everyone wants or needs the thinest, lightest, or most visually appealing. Some people need the best power possible that can be lugged around.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Merom XE and intel SLI are coming this fall. Seriously, what is with this tendency to viciously attack anything and anyone that has an idea other than the almighty Apple? Not everyone wants or needs the thinest, lightest, or most visually appealing. Some people need the best power possible that can be lugged around.

So you think I blindly follow Apple? Not hardly. But some suggestions are stupid.

BTW I didn't think my response was an attack.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

• Reply 33 of 51
    I found what you were looking for. http://www.electronista.com/articles....fragbook.drx/

Enjoy.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

I found what you were looking for. http://www.electronista.com/articles....fragbook.drx/

Enjoy.

Nobody know how to make a DTR/Mobile workstation quite like clevo. Might not have much battery time, but its much more efficient then dragging around a gaming tower or workstation.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

There are plenty of videographers and indie filmmakers who would love to see a machine like the one vaguely outlined here, but I suspect that it will take a while to ultimately satisfy their wishes. Let me offer a "for instance."

Indie filmmakers with prosumer budgets (under 10K) know that unless they go with the Panasonic HVX200 camcorder, they can't hope to capture 4:2:2 HD quality footage in the field. But working with the Panasonic camera entails some major tradeoffs. Its chips desperately crave light and they don't capture genuine HD (the camera ups the resolution from a smaller — in terms of raw pixels — original capture). For all of its vaunted reputation as an indie filmmaker's dream, the HVX200 has the "softest" image among the current crop of higher end prosumer camcorders.

In contrast, Canon's XH-H1, XH-G1, and XH-A1 camcorders actually capture footage at 1440 x 1080 pixels but downconvert the original 4:2:2 signal in order to squeeze the footage onto tape. The XH-H1 and XH-G1 do have HD-SDI ports for outputting an unadulterated HD stream, but the uncompressed footage is so massive that it requires costly capture devices (like the 16K portable Waffian field recorder) in order to ingest the signal. Only studios equipped with hi-end MacPro or Wintel desktops (and pricey RAID arrays) can manage the uncompressed footage.

How does the Panasonic get around the 4:2:2 bottleneck? It uses a DVCPRO codec which is substantially more streamlined than uncompressed HD but which is generally considered superior to — and more easily editable than — the long-GOP HDV codec (MPEG 2) used by almost all other HDV camcorders, including those made by Canon. Videography in this price range amounts to a series of trade-offs.

What does all of this have to do with the poster's original question? Very simply, videographers and filmmakers would LOVE to see the day when they could take a Macbook Pro into the field and capture an uncompressed signal directly to disk. Firewire 800, as fast as it is, can't sustain the transfer rates needed to do so, nor will it be possible until hard drive speeds increase and/or laptop RAIDs become a workable reality.

In the meantime, this area cries out for a compromise solution. A number of workarounds already exist, but Apple could lead the way by fielding a compelling software/hardware combination. Their Final Cut Studio 2 suite moves in the right direction, but Apple could really make a splash by partnering with a company like Canon and showcasing the Macbook Pro not simply as a great video-editing device (which it is) but as an indispensible capture device. Tethered to each other, the impressive line of Canon (or JVC or Sony or Panasonic or RED) camcorders could hook up with a Macbook Pro and bypass tape (or even Panasonic's tapeless P2 storage media) altogether. Now THAT would be a great thing—precisely the sort of machine this user would love to buy.

great post, Sybaritic, hence i've quoted it in full.

i think the MBP wouldn't need a huge change to accommodate indy film-makers in this manner.

- an eSATA port coud handle the storage requirements, couldn't it? [edit: admittedly you would still need access to power in this set-up]

- there are also one or two (admittedly pricey) adapter options for using a Black Magic Intensity Pro card via an Express 34 slot. it would be better if BM just brought out their own portable solution... they are 5mins from here, i should go ask them!

Cameras with HDMI-out together with Apple's ProRes codec, BM Intensity, and eSATA external storage make a powerful combination. Canon's "lowly" sub $1k HV20 is outputing uncompressed 1920x1080i via HDMI. add a 35mm adapter (eg: http://www.cinevate.com/ ) and the results are pretty amazing.

exciting times.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Cameras with HDMI-out together with Apple's ProRes codec, BM Intensity, and eSATA external storage make a powerful combination. Canon's "lowly" sub $1k HV20 is outputing uncompressed 1920x1080i via HDMI. add a 35mm adapter (eg: http://www.cinevate.com/ ) and the results are pretty amazing.

exciting times.

Precisely. It's all within reach and, as you say, the footage that's possible is next to wondrous.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

Do you mean something like the Panasonic Toughbook? The ones that can be dropped off a 12 story building, run over by tractor trailers, and sink to the bottom of the ocean and still work?

You mean the ones that can survive drops from 1m onto concrete, and windblown rain? Rugged laptops are a little of a let down, but they still are much more burly than normal laptops. When flash HDs and OLEDs make their way to into laptops, ruggedized laptops will be the norm!

As for the need for this silly, portable workstation, why don't you just strap a Mac Pro and an ACD to a golf cart. . .
  • Reply 38 of 51
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    ^

Quote:

Enjoy.

Impressive.

Unfortuneately, it can't run Logic Pro. \
  • Reply 39 of 51
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

What people are really talking about here is a lugable. I have a couple of old ones in the closet right now. For those who don't know basically a box with handles and a detachable or fold-down KB and monitor.

I thought the term was "transportable." Imagine what they'd be able to stuff into a case the size of a Kaypro, Osborne 1 or the very first Compaq. No space wasted on floppy drives, so you could have an eight-drive striped and mirrored RAID plus dual optical drives. Thin LCD instead of the bulky, old CRTs, so you could squeeze a full quad-processor motherboard and cooling system in there. No heavy battery needed as a transportable that needs to be plugged in rather than a true portable. Then bring it into the 21st century (or at least 1990s) by adding an extendable handle and wheels like any large, heavy suitcase. Finally, a full power Photoshop, FCP, Logic Pro, Motion, Aperture workstation you can take to the jobsite.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:

...Isn't there ?

There is not.