Surely there's a market for truly robust MacBook Pro's.....

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    ^Wrong!

*in McLaughlin voice*

?The answer is?

?There is a market, and it?s growth is uncertain.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Cameras with HDMI-out together with Apple's ProRes codec, BM Intensity, and eSATA external storage make a powerful combination. Canon's "lowly" sub $1k HV20 is outputing uncompressed 1920x1080i via HDMI. add a 35mm adapter (eg: http://www.cinevate.com/ ) and the results are pretty amazing.

Just as a follow-up, the AJA Io HD really facilitates the process described above. Great stuff.

http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.asad View Post

^Wrong!

*in McLaughlin voice*

?The answer is?

?There is a market, and it?s growth is uncertain.

A market needs two things to exist. Demand (which there may be) and also Supply (which there is not). Therefore there is not a market since there is no supply of these. Also, if there was a supply of them, they would most likely not sell very well or at least not well enough for Apple to want to make them.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:

TBH, I may differ from what the gamers want.

I have virtually no interest in graphics capability.

I only need increased processor/max RAM

Minimum:

Two Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz

6gb RAM max

Favorable:

Quad 2.66Ghz Xeon

8gb RAM max

Also one single PCI-e expansion slot

If there was a way to put a more powerful processor in a laptop, Apple would be doing it with the MacBook Pros already. Apple have traditionally always tried to differentiate their consumer and pro laptops by processor power, and I suspect that it bugs them quite a bit that they have to put practically identical processors in their $1000 MacBooks and $2500 MacBook Pros, but unfortunately that is the bar that's been set by cheap consumer PC notebooks.

So if there was some uber-processor that was significantly more expensive than Core 2 Duos and would totally toast them, but still run cool enough for use in laptops, don't you think they'd be using it already?

You are already getting the most powerful mobile processor available when you buy an MBP. If it's not enough for you, buy two - or save yourself a few bucks and buy a 17" MBP and a cheapo MacBook and use the latter as a slave machine for processing jobs - it's got no graphics or screen to speak of, but you say you don't need that functionality. You could fit them both in a decent sized bag.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

If there was a way to put a more powerful processor in a laptop, Apple would be doing it with the MacBook Pros already. Apple have traditionally always tried to differentiate their consumer and pro laptops by processor power, and I suspect that it bugs them quite a bit that they have to put practically identical processors in their $1000 MacBooks and $2500 MacBook Pros, but unfortunately that is the bar that's been set by cheap consumer PC notebooks.

So if there was some uber-processor that was significantly more expensive than Core 2 Duos and would totally toast them, but still run cool enough for use in laptops, don't you think they'd be using it already?

You are already getting the most powerful mobile processor available when you buy an MBP. If it's not enough for you, buy two - or save yourself a few bucks and buy a 17" MBP and a cheapo MacBook and use the latter as a slave machine for processing jobs - it's got no graphics or screen to speak of, but you say you don't need that functionality. You could fit them both in a decent sized bag.

Apple doesn't play by the market. They play by their 'least amount of space and wight possible even at the expense of some functions' philosophy.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

Just as a follow-up, the AJA Io HD really facilitates the process described above. Great stuff.

http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html

yes! i'd almost forgotten about this... i saw a demo video of it at a seminar run by apple and one of our local pro suppliers after NAB. it looks like a great device, and not prohibitively priced, iirc, c.US$1500? erm, maybe not, listed on one site down here (australia) @ A$5k.... but still, a great device....
  • Reply 47 of 51
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I hate this discussion.

My 2¢
  • Reply 48 of 51
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

You mean the ones that can survive drops from 1m onto concrete, and windblown rain? Rugged laptops are a little of a let down, but they still are much more burly than normal laptops. When flash HDs and OLEDs make their way to into laptops, ruggedized laptops will be the norm!

Well yay for that day.

The obsession with technological minimalism is fine for posers & office workers but there are many industries in which it's impossible to insure against knocks and splashes.

As a film producer/director I often have to check and edit rushes on the go in situations where there's no external power source and the only flat surfaces are the car roof and the mud underfoot. I imagine there are plenty of surveyors, builders, architects and other outdoor workers who frequently find themselves in similar positions.

I'm still running a Nokia 5210 because it may be basic, but its durability serves my purposes. I'd like to feel the same way about my Mac. Sure, if the capture specs Sybaritic and Sennen have discussed come in, I'd love one of those babies (my workhorse is a Sony HDV-V1), but it needs to be rugged enough to justify its practical application.

Style and function need to reflect the user's environment, not just his or her imagination. Solar power panels, rubberisation, shock-resistance and dustproof/splashproof seals would all be very welcome.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Surely there's a market for robust MacBook Pro's

MacBook Pro's what?
  • Reply 50 of 51
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Style and function need to reflect the user's environment, not just his or her imagination. Solar power panels, rubberisation, shock-resistance and dustproof/splashproof seals would all be very welcome.

Agreed. The field is never as antiseptic as a Bang and Olufsen sound room (or as streamlined as an Apple store, for that matter). Attention to aesthetics doesn't necessitate fragility.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

A market needs two things to exist. Demand (which there may be) and also Supply (which there is not). Therefore there is not a market since there is no supply of these. Also, if there was a supply of them, they would most likely not sell very well or at least not well enough for Apple to want to make them.

[email protected]'re right...but...let the man dream.

No lugable, just a righteously thick laptop for Pro Video/Audio.

I disagree they wouldn't sell well enough to warrant production.

There is an emerged, growing market for this in Video & Audio.