watching i, robot

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    " ...

The integrated robo-sniper network has reportedly been dubbed "See-Shoot" by the IDF, suggesting that asking questions isn't on the priority list.

... "

Israel deploys robo-snipers on Gaza border.

Isaak is flipping in his grave @ 15K ... along with millions of jews buried during WWII.

How dare they call their Waffen SS, Israeli Defense Forces.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 100mph View Post

" ...

The integrated robo-sniper network has reportedly been dubbed "See-Shoot" by the IDF, suggesting that asking questions isn't on the priority list.

... "

Israel deploys robo-snipers on Gaza border.

Isaak is flipping in his grave @ 15K ... along with millions of jews buried during WWII.

How dare they call their Waffen SS, Israeli Defense Forces.

Well, they're not really invading lands outside of Israel, so "defense" seems appropriate, even if you don't agree with their methods. Please keep partisan, political banter to PO.

As for Asimov's opinion on the matter, I don't think we have any idea on how he felt about Israeli protection of Israel, culturally and territorially.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Well, they're not really invading lands outside of Israel, so "defense" seems appropriate, even if you don't agree with their methods. Please keep partisan, political banter to PO.

As for Asimov's opinion on the matter, I don't think we have any idea on how he felt about Israeli protection of Israel, culturally and territorially.

I guess I shouldn't do this, but, but there's this google thing right up there in the corner, and.....

From here, quoting Asimov:

Quote:

As usual, I found myself in the odd position of not being a Zionist and of not particularly valuing my Jewish heritage.

I like Jewish cooking, Jewish music, Jewish jokes -- but I'm not *serious* about it. I also like other kinds of cooking, music, and jokes (in fact, we were eating in a Chinese restaurant). I don't even mind *being* Jewish. I make no secret about being Jewish in this book, or elsewhere, and I've never tried to change my name.

I just think it is more important to be human and to have a human heritage; and I think it is wrong for anyone to feel that there is anything special about any one heritage of whatever kind. It is delightful to have the human heritage exist in a thousand varieties, for it makes for greater interest, but as soon as one variety is thought to be more important than another, the groundwork is laid for destroying them all

and

Quote:

Right now, there is an influx of Soviet Jews into Israel. They are fleeing because they expect religious persecution. Yet at the instant their feet touched Israeli soil, they became extreme Israeli nationalists with no pity for the Palestinians. From persecuted to persecutors in the blinking of an eye

Oh, that irascible old Asimov.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess I shouldn't do this, but, but there's this google thing right up there in the corner, and.....

. . .

Oh, that irascible old Asimov.

When he died, Islamist fundamentalism didn't exist in the same state as it does today. This is why I don't think there's any way to really know how he'd feel. At that time, people still thought that peace could be achieved in the middle-east. Now, I don't think you'll find a lot of well;-versed people who will so easily adhere to such a pleasant interpretation of reality. We can all think forward or think back and make a blanket comment, but when the day actually comes, at least I've found, we often re-evaluate our position. I am not Jewish at all, and I don't particularly value Jewish culture more than any other culture that's not my own, but the Israelis, I believe, are in a position right now where they either have to forcibly defned their country or die at the hands of less-than-rational invaders. A quite appropriate usage of "Catch-22," one might say. I think Asimov would be able understand this.

For the record, I actually dislike the book Catch-22. It's a shitty reconstruction of earlier existential novels.