AT&T hiring temps to control iPhone crowds at retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I'm old enough to have read about the Angels/Stones incident.

If I remember correctly (I'm playing fair and not Googling) the Stones hired the Hell's Angels for security at one of their shows. Don't remember the city, but I think it may have been in CA. Midway through one of the fans ended up stabbed by an Angel as I recall.

Yeah...that would be a bad roll-out for the iPhone...

I can see the ad now:

"this is how you hold the iPhone while running,

this is how you use the iPhone to try to shield yourself,

this is how you dial 9-1-1"

fade to the Apple logo.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I trust that unlocking will happen quickly (if they aren't sold unlocked). I don't care about visual voicemail for now, though I'm sure Rogers will have that sorted out for their launch.

I don't know how that works in The Great White North, so I can't say if it would work later, when Rogers starts selling them (assuming they do). If not, it's quite a risk.

Quote:

It'll be a really nice iPod, too.

Aside for the paltry memory that you would be getting for a $500 or $600 iPod. If Apple decided to lose money on the device for the first nine months, and had installed 16 GB and 32 GB, then yes, that'd be different.

Quote:

Can't I just want one?!

Of course! You're SUPPOSED to want one. My wife already wants one. I want one too, if third party apps show up, and the ones I want, and need, are there. 3G would be a need as well, if I'm going to replace my Sprint 700p high speed with this.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

If I remember correctly (I'm playing fair and not Googling) the Stones hired the Hell's Angels for security at one of their shows. Don't remember the city, but I think it may have been in CA. Midway through one of the fans ended up stabbed by an Angel as I recall.

Yeah...that would be a bad roll-out for the iPhone...

I can see the ad now:

"this is how you hold the iPhone while running,

this is how you use the iPhone to try to shield yourself,

this is how you dial 9-1-1"

fade to the Apple logo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that in the movie, Gimme Shelter?.... yep, turns out it was.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course! You're SUPPOSED to want one. My wife already wants one. I want one too, if third party apps show up, and the ones I want, and need, are there. 3G would be a need as well, if I'm going to replace my Sprint 700p high speed with this.

Conspicuous consumption is ok, in my book.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Conspicuous consumption is ok, in my book.

Well, I'm very conspicuous.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    eruithildureruithildur Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

More like "Super cool and smart Jobs!" If waiting lists existed, there would be way too much potential for abuse and corruption via shady managers giving choice spots to their friends, etc. Steve is being admirably equitable, IMHO.

I guess...

I don't think equity is what is driving his desire for no waiting lists... Well actually, it is, just a different type then your post suggests.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

"Control crowds?" Are they going to use fire hoses and dogs?

Gas and riot control gear
  • Reply 28 of 45
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Remember the opening day of Zune sales? They must have had thousands of people hired for crowd control that day. Remember that? C'mon, sure you do.

They did, didn't they?

huh?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    bobrkbobrk Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

It might actually be easier to stay up the night before and order one when they are available on the Apple on-line store. Don't know if that will be one minute after midnight (EDT?) or sometime in the wee hours of the morning, but at least you'll be comfortable, have all the coffee you want and have a bathroom close to rid yourself of the coffee.

If I was buying one the first month I would stick to the on-line store as the Apple & ATT Stores will be chaos - and probably sold out by the time I got to the head of the line.

This is a great idea, but what if you want to upgrade a current AT&T account? Will you be able to do that online?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Remember the opening day of Zune sales? They must have had thousands of people hired for crowd control that day. Remember that? C'mon, sure you do.

They did, didn't they?

huh?

Well, sure. But they had to have someone in the stores other than the salespeople.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i'm prob getting an iphone come the 29th but i'm wondering about the plans, if the plans are really bad value then screw it.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, sure. But they had to have someone in the stores other than the salespeople.

• Reply 33 of 45
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

"Control crowds?" Are they going to use fire hoses and dogs?

Nope. One word: Tasers.

Either that, or you'll be implanted with a pain chip in your neck in exchange for being let through the front door.

Alright, alright, I'll form an orderly line now.

• Reply 34 of 45
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

Frankly, I think it is Jobs just trying to make a bigger spectacle...

Absolutely... THE PS3 effect. Lines = News = Free Publicity (as if nobody will be talking about it).

Hopefully it sells better than the PS3 \
  • Reply 35 of 45
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ATTN vidiographers:

This place is crawling with videophiles...so I figured I would toss this idea out: spend 6/29 at an att store rolling tape, maybe doing interviews...go to a store where there are no local tv affiliates and if something does go down, sell the footage to the affiliates, and if it is really good, sell it to the networks/cable channels

a quick $500 with no post work.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Absolutely... THE PS3 effect. Lines = News = Free Publicity (as if nobody will be talking about it).

Hopefully it sells better than the PS3 \

It will be another PS3 if there is no price cuts: 500$ and a 2 year contract==a sucker-only item

Apple is a great brand, but so was Sony: not too long ago, the Playstation was just like the iPod is now...technology is cyclical.

A blackberry can be had for ~$200 and it has most of what the iphone has...the iPod is actually priced comparably to the competition, the iPhone is not...
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Why do people keep treating the iPhone like a stand-alone device? it is a dongle...as a stand-alone device, it would be worth that price, but without the (minimum) $40/Mo voice and ~$35/Mo data plans it is a BRICK!

the entry level model should be priced in the $250-350 range.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Oh so long ago. Well now the Hells Angels are a bunch of dentist on chrome so it wouldn't be so bad. Wait a minute dentist with chrome toys that would be painful.

We're talking Jobs here, it oughta be a bunch of Buddists teaching us equanimity and then we all walk away not caring about no stinkin iGottas.

Isn't there some rule that if we where there we wouldn't remember it and so if we remember it we must not have been there. It was the 60's and we where stoned.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 128pluspb100siduo230 View Post

Oh so long ago. Well now the Hells Angels are a bunch of dentist on chrome so it wouldn't be so bad. Wait a minute dentist with chrome toys that would be painful.

We're talking Jobs here, it oughta be a bunch of Buddists teaching us equanimity and then we all walk away not caring about no stinkin iGottas.

Isn't there some rule that if we where there we wouldn't remember it and so if we remember it we must not have been there. It was the 60's and we where stoned.

Wrong Planet?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 128pluspb100siduo230 View Post

No, you're thinking 'Harley-Davidson enthusiasts'. THOSE are the dentists riding chrome. The Hells Angels still exist as a dangerous, violent, and often drug-peddling or gun-running gang. They also kill and get killed by members of rival motorcycle gangs on a fairly regular basis.

They have an excellent 'PR machine' of sorts, that always insists that its 'just a few bad eggs' that do these things; and while its possible that mainly 'core' members are doing most of the criminal activities, its still kinda BS. Their clubhouses are constantly getting raided, and members are getting busted for racketeering, drug dealing, etc. Canada considers them a criminal organization. They don't seem to have changed all that much from Altamont.