Boot Camp 1.3 beta adds new drivers, Apple remote pairing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ahead of its Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday, Apple has released an update to its Boot Camp dual-boot software that adds new graphics drivers among other improvements.

The 274MB release also delivers support for keyboard backlighting (MacBook Pro only), Apple Remote pairing, improved Boot Camp driver installer, improved international keyboard support, and localization fixes.

The beta software, which will be included in Apple's upcoming Mac OS X Leopard operating system release, allows users of Intel-based Macs to install and run versions of rival Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system.

At its annual developers conference on Monday, the Cupertino-based Mac maker is expected to provide an update on Leopard as well as major enhancements to Boot Camp that have remained under wraps for the past 10 months.

Apple last updated its Boot Camp beta in March when it added support for Windows Vista.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I just downloaded and installed v1.2 last night on my MacBook. Since everything seems to work okay as it is, I probably won't worry about this one. Now I just need the upcoming version of parallels that will let me virtualize my Vista boot camp installation. I like virtualization better but the option to re-boot for performance would be great.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    So what's the speculation on the 'Major Enhancements' to Boot Camp that Leopard will feature?

I think it would be silly of apple to brand their own virtualization solution. But perhaps a quick sleep and reboot feature for both OS's that suspends and shuts down the OS almost instantly... then cube spins to the competing OS.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I just downloaded and installed v1.2 last night on my MacBook. Since everything seems to work okay as it is, I probably won't worry about this one. Now I just need the upcoming version of parallels that will let me virtualize my Vista boot camp installation. I like virtualization better but the option to re-boot for performance would be great.

The reason to update to 1.3 isn't for the Boot Camp application, per se, but rather for the updated drivers disc that you can create.

Do it for the updated graphics drivers, at least!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Just downloaded, and it's still 1.2 \ WTF?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Shouldn't the Apple Software Update in Windows update all the drivers to 1.3 without needing to make a CD? As I said, I just installed BootCamp for the first time last night, so I haven't seen this work yet.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Shouldn't the Apple Software Update in Windows update all the drivers to 1.3 without needing to make a CD? As I said, I just installed BootCamp for the first time last night, so I haven't seen this work yet.

Apple Software Update (in Windows) does nothing but update iTunes and Quicktime.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Apple Software Update (in Windows) does nothing but update iTunes and Quicktime.

That's not true. It also updates the AirPort Admin Utility[1], and it will soon update Boot Camp as well[2].

[1] See the listed packages at http://swcatalog.apple.com/content/c...ws-1.sucatalog for proof.

[2] Software Update started shipping with Boot Camp 1.2.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That's not true. It also updates the AirPort Admin Utility[1], and it will soon update Boot Camp as well[2].

[1] See the listed packages at http://swcatalog.apple.com/content/c...ws-1.sucatalog for proof.

[2] Software Update started shipping with Boot Camp 1.2.

My mistake.

Given that Windows Update pooched my Vista install when I stupidly chose to install the Atheros update, I'd hope that Apple Software Update will pull new drivers down for Boot Camp installations.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    What is Apple Remote pairing?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What is Apple Remote pairing?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302545

First Google result for "Apple Remote pairing".
  • Reply 11 of 39
    frenchmacfrenchmac Posts: 89member
    Now that Parallels has announce an update to Parallels Desktop last week, I no more expect Apple to introduce a virtualization solution. They could have bought Parallels to include the solution in Leopard. But putting a lot of resources in virtualization and entering in competition with 3rd parties offering like those of Parallels and VMware would be badly persived by developers.

They have enter in competition with 3rd parties several times in the past but this time I could be mistaking but I think that this release of boot camp is intended to temper the expectation around virtualization.

People wanting virtualization on a Mac can already buy a version of Parallels for a reasonable fee.

I think that the heart of what will make Leopard unique is elsewhere.

FrenchMac
  • Reply 12 of 39
    ahhh, so ARP is useless for me. Nice for those who would need it though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302545

First Google result for "Apple Remote pairing".

• Reply 13 of 39
    I thought Jobs already said no virtualization in Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrenchMac View Post

Now that Parallels has announce an update to Parallels Desktop last week, I no more expect Apple to introduce a virtualization solution. They could have bought Parallels to include the solution in Leopard. But putting a lot of resources in virtualization and entering in competition with 3rd parties offering like those of Parallels and VMware would be badly persived by developers.

They have enter in competition with 3rd parties several times in the past but this time I could be mistaking but I think that this release of boot camp is intended to temper the expectation around virtualization.

People wanting virtualization on a Mac can already buy a version of Parallels for a reasonable fee.

I think that the heart of what will make Leopard unique is elsewhere.

FrenchMac

• Reply 14 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

I whole-heartedly agree! My problem isn't the virtualization vs. boot camp, its just, after all the effort to install Vista and the software to get it to work in Boot Camp, then to find out the Parallels boot-camp support didn't cover vista, I just didn't feel like trashing the disk and building it again. Just way too much trouble.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Jobs has said many things that turn out to be misinformation. I'd almost go as far to say that if Jobs says something won't be in a product, it probably will be Most companies say "no comment" or avoid questions, Apple frequently lies outright.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, I'm sure people here can though
  • Reply 16 of 39
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    I know quite a few video artists that were miffed at the lack of s-video support in the last version of bootcamp. Can anyone verify if this has been resolved?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miggs97 View Post

...perhaps a quick sleep and reboot feature for both OS's that suspends and shuts down the OS almost instantly... then cube spins to the competing OS.

Sounds about right.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Firefox 2 wont install for me in 1.3

Now the OS X eject pop up happens, cool.

Now the OS X volume pop up happens, only problem is you can't hold down the up or down volume buttons, you must keep tapping them.

There's still a load of anomalies and compatibility problems with iMac hardware in Bootcamp, more work needs to be done, to say the least.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Phil Shiller said that. But a lot of speculation is been made by analysts that virtualization will indeed be included.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    frenchmacfrenchmac Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Jobs has said many things that turn out to be misinformation. I'd almost go as far to say that if Jobs says something won't be in a product, it probably will be Most companies say "no comment" or avoid questions, Apple frequently lies outright.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, I'm sure people here can though

The Mac mini could be a good example. An sub-500 computer have been denied less than six months before it's release.