They FTFF!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That reflective dock "floor" is ridiculous, IMO. Hope we can turn it off, or somebody writes a hack.

It looks like Apple is trying to emphasize "3Dness" by any and all means, but I really hate trapezoids pretending to be rectangles receding into space (hate in TimeMachine as well). It just looks cheap and silly.

totally agreed.

I like the reflections, but not the trapezoidal object. Hopefully they fix it somehow, or at least animate it so it looks truly 3D.

As is, it looks like a backwards step.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I hope there is some way to link persistent view options to particular folders or file types.

For example, It would be cool to be able to set the Finder up so that it gives me Cover Flow view of images, list view of documents and column view for apps, automagically.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Woooohoooo! THEY FTFF! w00t!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Woooohoooo! THEY FTFF! w00t!

how? how?! HOW!!!!????!!!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

how? how?! HOW!!!!????!!!

Check macrumorslive.com for the Keynote! Completely new Finder. New desktop (3d dock, Stacks),

iTunes like sidebar, CoverFlow view...
  • Reply 5 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Check macrumorslive.com for the Keynote! Completely new Finder. New desktop (3d dock, Stacks),

iTunes like sidebar, CoverFlow view...

This means new Finder, not necessarily fixed. The details have still to emerge.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Hey, I'm just being positive :-)
  • Reply 7 of 37
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This means new Finder, not necessarily fixed. The details have still to emerge.

It's hard to tell from the text blogs and photos. The new "shared" volume paradigm might reflect new storage UI innovations relating to ZFS (leaked by Sun to be used by Leopard).

Stacks are nice, something I was hoping for.

Other than that, looks like a lot of "matching and leaping beyond the Jones'" 3D effects so no one can say Vista has anything OS X doesn't. eg: The reflections, 3D effects, new transparency, cover-flow, etc...

Still several months before it ships, so maybe some new innovations still coming. Jobs only previewed 10 of 300 new features. Among the 290, could still be a few new ones of significant impact...
  • Reply 8 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That reflective dock "floor" is ridiculous, IMO. Hope we can turn it off, or somebody writes a hack.

It looks like Apple is trying to emphasize "3Dness" by any and all means, but I really hate trapezoids pretending to be rectangles receding into space (hate in TimeMachine as well). It just looks cheap and silly.

I agree, the Dock is a bit odd but I like that it cuts off less than the current one kind of. It completely obscures half the dock size worth of the screen as opposed to partially obscuring the whole Dock size worth of screen. I'll have to try it to see which I prefer.

The menu bar looks a bit too much like Vista's. What's the point in transparency if you can't read the text?

At least there's no brushed metal and the windows have been squared off more. I like the itunes style Finder and Coverflow will be really handy for image browsing.

It looks to me like they've blended graphite and aqua themes together too. The Spotlight menu is grey but the icon is blue and the candy colored buttons are there I can't tell if the Apple logo is grey or transparent. I can see what's going to happen right away. People will have to make special desktops with a white bar at the top.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

• Reply 10 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Jobs only previewed 10 of 300 new features. Among the 290, could still be a few new ones of significant impact...

Word of warning here: those 300 features, or 150-200 in previous releases, are for the most part details the average user will probably never notice. You can always say that all together contribute to a more pleasant experience and this is actually true. The problem is that people often wait for the big UI or I don't know what else revolution, and when they don't get that, whining starts.

Now however, it is a little different in that Apple through the lips of its own CEO promised some "top secret" features and from what it seems those have not a range longer than that of a new Finder. This addresses (? we will see) a very long time complaint from Mac OS X users, but actually that's the problem if this is all the new and directly noticeable by the user new features.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Word of warning here: those 300 features, or 150-200 in previous releases, are for the most part details the average user will probably never notice. You can always say that all together contribute to a more pleasant experience and this is actually true. The problem is that people often wait for the big UI or I don't know what else revolution, and when they don't get that, whining starts.

Now however, it is a little different in that Apple through the lips of its own CEO promised some "top secret" features and from what it seems those have not a range longer than that of a new Finder. This addresses (? we will see) a very long time complaint from Mac OS X users, but actually that's the problem if this is all the new and directly noticeable by the user new features.

Agree with you. While I like what I see from Leopard so far, the hope for something more is gone from me. The SJ lost a little credibility with me on the 'top secret feature' fiasco.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Coverflow is very silly...

...but I think it's meant to be used with the apple remote and apple tv. With it, you can pretty much navigate the finder. Review documents, watch movies, anything. Pretty neat idea, I think. If only Apple and Nintendo would merge.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danosaur

If only Apple and Nintendo would merge.

Enough with that rumor please, it's not not not going to happen.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    No iMario?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    cover flow looks to be a great addition imo. But im very concerned about speed. My brand new MacBook can hardly do iTunes cover flow... i was already mad about that.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I know this isn't a big deal to most people but I hope this new version of OS X has an option in the labels function to shade the folder like you could do in classic.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome10 View Post

cover flow looks to be a great addition imo. But im very concerned about speed. My brand new MacBook can hardly do iTunes cover flow... i was already mad about that.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

My Powermac G5 (slower than your macbook w/ crappy graphics card) and my ULTRA shitty eMachine PC does coverflow perfectly...
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome10 View Post

it's a bit ironic that the current iTunes 7 was a literal preview of the new Leopard Finder and it was right in front of us us all this time. personally i like the stacks and new previewing features in the Finder (actually i was really hoping for something like this) it will certainly help in creative design workflows.

cover flow is very much like rifling through a filing cabinet.

as for Safari on Windows... ? not sure what that's about but i am amazed it works on XP while anyone still using Panther is outta luck. if Apple wanted to gain more market in the Windows world maybe making iChat more cross platform would help. instant messaging is still the one popular thing that is lacking in the Mac.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Word of warning here: those 300 features, or 150-200 in previous releases, are for the most part details the average user will probably never notice.

Yep. Watched the 3-digit feature sets of prior OS X releases, and also know enough about unix to understand many of the less prominent ones.

My point was simply that, among the 290 others, there may be a few that are revolutionary and evident to all users, just not ready for demo this morning. Or maybe still "secret" until release to prevent Redmond from getting a head start with the copy machines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghiangelo View Post

instant messaging is still the one popular thing that is lacking in the Mac.

Have you tried Adium?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    At first I assumed "TFTFF" = "They Fixed The $#^%ing Finder"

But could it be more like = "They $#^%ed The $#^%ing Finder"???

Or... "They $#^%ed The $#^%ing Filesystem"... by not switching to ZFS???

WWDC = World Wide Disappointment Conference

What the $#^% is the story with ZFS? I mean HFS is what... 20 years old now? WTF is Apple thinking?! HFS is a pain in the --- , especially when it comes to sharing files with other platforms.

WTF?! I just watched the keynote stream... Steve Jobs did his "One More Thing" gig and could just feel the crowd expecting him to announce ZFS in Leopard. No, instead it's all about Safari on Windows. Then he did his "One Last Thing" gig ... of course that was about the iPhone.

WTF?!