Apple to release Safari browser for Windows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

just downloaded the safari demo... didnt tell me that it would delete the current version i have would be removed from my computer!!!!!!! FOR FUKES SAKE APPLE!!!!!!! I WANT MY SAFARI BACK!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!
  • Reply 42 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmmm, new "Mail contents of page" and "Mail link" menu items.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

its there. just have a look lol

Actually it wasn't there when he posted it, it took a while for them to update the safari pages on apple.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Apparently my computer "does not meet the requirements" for the beta

According to the system requirements, a G4 iBook running 10.4.9 should work. Strange.

Yeah, I have the same problem and I've seen many postings already saying this. The windows install worked fine, but it looks like the OSX version has a problem. They better fix it fast, that's a major embarrassment for the company.
  • Reply 44 of 127
    What the fuck is wrong with the AI database? Posts just drop in in random order...

This one included
  • Reply 45 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atari View Post

With pleasure

-) It sure can´t hurt Apple

SCript kiddies, pop-up-spammers, phishers, etc. think different.

IE is shite, fine, but people also attack it because its huge (78% huge). IF Safari gets (absolute best case) 30% share, wouldn't you get excited about milking it?
  • Reply 46 of 127
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The availability of Safari on the PC is, at best, of second-order importance to me as a Mac user and Apple shareholder (yeah, yeah, I understand the iPhone connection and the fact more sites may become Safari-firendly etc; but it's all still second-order).

Zero cash flow consequences.

There are cash flow consequences, though. You just have to look a lil' harder.

With the new Leopard Finder working very similarly to iTunes ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...es/finder.html ), potential Windows switchers will already know how to use a Mac, and will be more likely to switch. And if they're already using Safari on Windows, they'll obviously be able to jump over to OS X Safari without missing a beat.

It's all about increasing potential switchers' comfort level with the Mac. Which is super-important, because about half of all Mac sales nowadays are to switchers. Increasing switcher sales further would seem to be very 'bottom line', eh?

• Reply 47 of 127
    scottkrkscottkrk Posts: 25member
    I think the biggest deal is that it will send a signal to Microsoft to play a little fairer with standards for Web 2.0 (and no I don't think Microsoft is evil for leveraging of its dominance in OS, browser and productivity apps).

Specifically Safari on Windows Helps Apple Position for Upside
    • Web 2.0 Applications on Mac/iPhone/Apple TV (eventually AppleTV will do full internet)

• Apple can say to Google and others "we can provide a standards based cross platform browser for your Web apps". I know there is Firefox and others but Apple will have the resources and motivation to resource this commitment in a timely manner.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Safari on windows could have a very positive impact for most players without necessarily capturing that much market share.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    The most important thing about Safari on Windows is that Windows based web developers now have no excuses not to support Safari.

How many times have you found a bug in a website, alerted the developer/web guy and got an email back saying they don't have a Mac to test the site on. Now they've no excuse.

Apart from that there's a couple of things Safari does that the other guys don't. 3.0 has resizeable text areas. For bloggers and forum users, that's just so f'ing fantastic.

Melgross, I think I went 'Huh?' to most of the problems you reported. They've 'fixed' a few things that IMHO weren't broken in 3.0 such as CSS overriding native form fields (bleuch!) so maybe they've fixed your other complaints too. From a brief spin of the bookmarks folder, they've not changed that but then I thought that was perfect anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Typing this on Windows Safari as we speak.

Something of a cross between windows UI and mac UI. Maximize does what you expect on windows but you can only resize from the bottom right as in OSX. The three minimize, maximize and close buttons are there but not rendered like the usual buttons. Aqua dropdowns, checkboxes, buttons and scrollbars.

I'd really like to be able to do this in .NET...an iTunes look and feel.

Vinea

Do you see a reason to choose Win Safari over FF or IE7? How does it compare to those?
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Could a Mac user please dl and install the beta and tell me I'm not crazy and that this thing screams?

Well I installed it and it is (wait for it) SLOWER for me. By the way "wait for it" seems to be an appropriate tag-line for the new Safari 3.0.

However, to be fair it does do one thing much faster than Safari 2 - It locks up good and fast.....Argh.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Why port Safari to Windows. They already have IE7 and FF. How about getting Safari on OSX to work as good as Camino.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh View Post

It also partially recognizes some of the maintenance scripts I use on Wikipedia through Firefox, so it looks like they're improving compatibility too. Hopefully the full build in Leopard will take care of those last few issues.

Depends. The TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor seems to work perfectly now but FCKEditor is still browser sniffing for Safari and switching stuff off. Many scripts sniff for the browser and switch off features when they encounter a browser they don't know rather than presume it works.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's a LOT faster for me on an iMac G5. In particular, sourceforge.net's javascript menus are now pretty nippy and a few of the sites I've written that use scriptaculous/prototype AJAX on are blazing fast.

It seems to cache the javascript quite a bit better.

Hmmm.....seems like I may be in the minority here....I'll have to do some more playing around. Partly my system is a bit old but still the new version is clearly slower for me (and it is not my network connection because Camino is as fast as ever). Will keep at it for a bit.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What the fuck is wrong with the AI database? Posts just drop in in random order...

This one included

Is that the way you talk to you parents or kids when you don't get what you want?
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The availability of Safari on the PC is, at best, of second-order importance to me as a Mac user and Apple shareholder (yeah, yeah, I understand the iPhone connection and the fact more sites may become Safari-firendly etc; but it's all still second-order).

Zero cash flow consequences. (Now, if he had announced something like "iLife for Windows for $89" that would have been a blockbuster from the stock price standpoint.....)

I hope the developers got something out of this. As a lay person, I was quite bored and disappointed by the WWDC. Wasted appearance by Steve.

Good thing you're not on Apple's Board! The Keynote offered some great insights into Leopard. Not sure what else you could have wanted. As far as Safari goes-- zero income? Not likely! This is an incredible investment to make the iPhone take hold faster and just as importantly, ANYTHING that is Apple branded that lands on a PC desktop is valuable. It will likely have bugs since the PC environment is not predictable but that will sort itself out over the next couple of revisions, and, this is, after all, a public beta. Disagree about iLife-- it might or might not sell but having the iPhone work in sync on a PC-- that is money in the bank.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    Yeah, unnerving about about letting a public beta replace your current version. WTF?

However, I'm running the Mac beta now and it is much faster loading pages, the movable tabs thing is cool, menu action seems faster...

But no PithHelmet, at the moment, which is practically a deal breaker, so blissfully accustomed I have become to ad free browsing. They're usually pretty fast with the updates, and if so I see no reason so far not to enjoy this beta as my primary browser.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    koskarkoskar Posts: 2member
    windows version crashes on any and all bookmark operations....

anyone or just me?
  • Reply 58 of 127
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    I can't believe I'm reading all these negative responses to having a Windows Safari in this thread.

Are you people nuts? Having Safari on Windows only means better support for us Mac users using Safari. It means better iPhones support. Win over the Windows developers and they may just start supporting our beloved Macs better. This is all a good thing. If Safari reaches a 20-35% marketshare we will not be ignored and the internet experience will only get better.

Now I would like to see iChat for Windows. iTunes, Safari and iChat for Windows would show PC users a glimpse of what using a Mac would be like and would create more switchers.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    billgbillg Posts: 1member
    Safari for Windows seemed noticeably faster than IE and Firefox when I tried it on my Windows XP machine. I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of Windows-centric web sites that worked just fine in Safari. Yahoo Mail Beta was the only site that seemed to have some issues.

Nevertheless, I don't think that I'd want to make Safari my default browser on Windows. This is because Safari ignores many basic Windows UI conventions. Some examples:
    1. Fonts and colors are not the ones that were configured in my Windows desktop theme. This makes the Safari window look rather out of place among all of the other open applications that do use the specified desktop theme.

2. The window title is centered at the top, rather than left-justified with the icon to the left like most Windows applications. This will be quite annoying for anyone who is accustomed to double-clicking on the icon to close an open window.

3. You have to drag the size box at the bottom right of the Safari window to resize it. This is not the usual convention on Windows, which allows you to drag the left, right, or bottom edge to resize. Windows users who are unfamiliar with the Macintosh convention will probably find this confusing.

Some of these problems would be quite easy to fix. If Apple is serious about convincing Windows users to switch from IE and Firefox to Safari, IMHO it will be important to do a better job of adhering to that platform's UI conventions in the final release.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

just downloaded the safari demo... didnt tell me that it would delete the current version i have would be removed from my computer!!!!!!! FOR FUKES SAKE APPLE!!!!!!! I WANT MY SAFARI BACK!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Use the included uninstaller. It restores your "current" version.

- Xidius