Briefly: Mossberg provides early iPhone review, WWDC "underwhelming"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    I'm beginning to think that people just have their hopes too high or something.

This, I think, was the first that I wasn't able to follow along live while the show was going on. I've followed tons in the past and typically come away so-so with alot of what Apple does. This time I'm reading through what they covered and find myself rather excited about Leopard and what's happening elsewhere in Apple. Maybe the delivery is the problem.

Anyways for those getting excited about Safari for Windows. There are plenty of good browsers for Windows already...don't kid yourself. I'm thrilled to see Safari for Windows though having said that. I'm a crossplatform guy and this gives me one more option to keeping things consistent.

Now to clear things up a bit...don't believe for a second that Safari for Windows has anything to do with trying to simply provide a better browser for Windows users. iPhone is the key. The writing is on the wall. I'm going to speculate that there are going to be some services provided at a later date that will require Safari so that desktop and iphone experiences can remain the same. There was the whole 3rd party developement via Safari so this isn't really rocketscience to deduce. Now of course this is where Safari for Windows becomes a trojan horse which is via iPhone. Brilliant move by Apple.

All in all I really liked what I read about. There are still areas where Vista shines but there are certainly areas where OSX will shine as well. Now I just need some way to generate the funds to buy a new laptop to run these beasts.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by

Absent, however, was Sun's ZFS file system. Company chief Jonathan Schwartz had touted that the file structure would be included, but no mention has so far been spotted in Apple's mainstream or developer feature lists.[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Has ZFS been "Steved" because he didn't get to announce it, or it just wasn't ready for prime time yet?
  • Reply 23 of 51
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

If there were features that were scrubbed at the last minute before the keynote, I could understand how even Steve would be off his A-game. Something just wasn't right.

I keep thinking the new iMac, but I feel like I'm stuck on that. I was watching the WWDC (much better to watch than read!) and asking 2 questions

1) could this new interface lend itself to touch screen iMac use?

2) could this new interface work on the AppleTV or iPhone

(those self-created widgets cut from webpages look ideal for AppleTV & iPhone!)

Quote:

I wish he'd have picked ten things we didn't already know about.

Yes... the question is - why didn't he?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Resolution independence? Would have been nice to see a demo of that.

Well, Leopard is delayed for a reason: it's not finished yet. It might be feature complete now, but many of the features are probably still too buggy to demo live on strage to an audience which expects to be dazzled.

And it could very well be that those features are tied strongly to new hardware. If the feature's buggy and this feature is a main selling point for the new hardware - then there's no point in introducing that new hardware just yet.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I'm really surprised not to witness an Address Book update

It should have:

1/ at least Coverflow

2/ an integrated Google Maps feature

3/ an easy way to add tags to your contacts (eg. hot and cold contacts)
  • Reply 26 of 51
    monomono Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

Now to clear things up a bit...don't believe for a second that Safari for Windows has anything to do with trying to simply provide a better browser for Windows users. iPhone is the key. The writing is on the wall. I'm going to speculate that there are going to be some services provided at a later date that will require Safari so that desktop and iphone experiences can remain the same. There was the whole 3rd party developement via Safari so this isn't really rocketscience to deduce. Now of course this is where Safari for Windows becomes a trojan horse which is via iPhone. Brilliant move by Apple.

I was feeling distinctly ho-hum about the whole thing until Safari 3.0 came up. My thoughts were yours exactly. Apps for iPhone via Safari 3.0. Apps you can then also use on your Mac and... your Windows PC. Brilliance.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

I'm beginning to think that people just have their hopes too high or something.

I agree. This was exactly what I was expecting from a developer conference keynote. No new hardware is no problem to me.

Quote:

By the way, does the new Finder interest all of you who shout FTFF? I have a feeling I'll be using it mainly in Cover Flow.

It won't stop me until we find out whether they've actually fixed it, or are they just slapping more make-up to cover up the imperfections.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Resolution independence? Would have been nice to see a demo of that.

Has resolution independence actually be stated by Apple to be in Leopard? I don't recall ever hearing that, just lot's of speculation that it will be included.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I agree. This was exactly what I was expecting from a developer conference keynote. No new hardware is no problem to me.

I agree for the most part, but what I found disappointing was that the Apple Store went down, and then after the keynote - no new hardware announcements, there were no apparent changes on the store. Why shut it down? I think they were getting people's hopes up with that....
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Another person that gives his initial reaction using the keypad. Give the thing a damn change first. More than a damn hour.

I see you are using the iPhone's predictive typing there.....
  • Reply 30 of 51
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

I agree for the most part, but what I found disappointing was that the Apple Store went down, and then after the keynote - no new hardware announcements, there were no apparent changes on the store. Why shut it down? I think they were getting people's hopes up with that....

The store (US at least) got a complete makeover with a new menu bar, new graphics and new side boxes as did much of the rest of the Apple site. Gone is the OSX 10.1 style tab bar they've had since 2001.

Generally you can't do that kind of change without taking a site offline unlike changing SKUs for new products which they do when there's new stuff. I've no idea why they take the site down to change products. That is totally mad and if I'd coded a site like that for one of my clients they'd sack me.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

It won't stop me until we find out whether they've actually fixed it, or are they just slapping more make-up to cover up the imperfections.

At least every window gets the same makeup now although it remains to be seen yet if it's lipstick on a pig.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The store (US at least) got a complete makeover with a new menu bar, new graphics and new side boxes as did much of the rest of the Apple site. Gone is the OSX 10.1 style tab bar they've had since 2001.

Generally you can't do that kind of change without taking a site offline unlike changing SKUs for new products which they do when there's new stuff. I've no idea why they take the site down to change products. That is totally mad and if I'd coded a site like that for one of my clients they'd sack me.

Hmmm....Dunno - the Canadian EduStore seems to look exactly the same to me but I may be missing something.... Never really went on the regular store so can't say if it is different or not. At least that would explain it for most of the sites.

EDIT: Ah yes - just compared the Canadian store (non-edu) to the US store (non-edu) and I see the difference. Well I can understand then why they took down the US store but not the Canadian one.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    I'm confused with the new dock. It looks great if positioned on the bottom of the screen, with all the icons "standing" on top of it. But what if you decide to put your dock vertically (on the left side of the screen)?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    I suspect to get Leo out on ship date, and this is a huge disappointment to Steve, some major 'top secret' elements have been pushed to 10.5.1. This probably why Steve came across as unenthusiastic compared to his norm.

Plus I was hoping to see a huge upgrade for iWorks. Again maybe 10.5.1 for that too
  • Reply 35 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I'm confused with the new dock. It looks great if positioned on the bottom of the screen, with all the icons "standing" on top of it. But what if you decide to put your dock vertically (on the left side of the screen)?

Steve showed that too, what's to be confused about?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Steve showed that too, what's to be confused about?

I wasn't there (and the webcast is bonkers as usual)

But I'm sure it must feel like an open door (as opposed to the horizontal table lay out).
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect to get Leo out on ship date, and this is a huge disappointment to Steve, some major 'top secret' elements have been pushed to 10.5.1. This probably why Steve came across as unenthusiastic compared to his norm. Plus I was hoping to see a huge upgrade for iWorks. Again maybe 10.5.1 for that too

You might be right. iLife wasn't upgraded either. iCal has got a low profile intro on the (beautifull) new web site and Addressbook isn't mentionned at all. Expect great things when iCal meets Addressbook. And vice versa ?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Another person that gives his initial reaction using the keypad. Give the thing a damn change first. More than a damn hour.

If you actually read the whole paragraph, you'd have noticed that Mossberg already said he planned to give it a little more time before releasing his final word.

Right after describing about how Mossberg initially felt about the onscreen typing feature, we read, '...(he said) the small amount of time spent with the finished phone was "not a very fair test" and would need more supporting evidence...'
  • Reply 39 of 51
    curteggcurtegg Posts: 7member
    Disappointing preview of leopard. Especially disappointed with no appearance of zfs.

I'll stick with my 6 year old g4 system for another year (not bother with leopard upgrade and delay my purchase of h/w).

Sorry, I was planning on upgrading but without zfs I'll wait.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A few of us here on these boards have been saying iChat for windows is a guaranteed certainty, well not a few, maybe a couple

Can't Windows users already communicate with all their iChat buddies using AIM?

I understand AIM 6.0 broke the videoconferencing compatibility, though...