Briefly: Mossberg provides early iPhone review, WWDC "underwhelming"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

At least every window gets the same makeup now although it remains to be seen yet if it's lipstick on a pig.

Perhaps with the new Beta Leopard out in the wild we can get more information about the new Finder and if it truly addresses the concerns mentioned here in other threads. With a redesign, I'd like to think that it's been rewritten in Cocoa and that the technicians sought out lists of complaints to fix when doing the rewrite.

I suppose we'll find out in October.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect to get Leo out on ship date, and this is a huge disappointment to Steve, some major 'top secret' elements have been pushed to 10.5.1. This probably why Steve came across as unenthusiastic compared to his norm.

Plus I was hoping to see a huge upgrade for iWorks. Again maybe 10.5.1 for that too

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens in October. It's true that none of the support apps have even been talked about like iLife & iWork. Perhaps Leopard is such a huge transition that they couldn't be addressed until future point updates in Leopard. I just don't like the top ten things Steve chose to show being filled with things they showed us before. I'm far more interested in these 300 features. Certainly some of them are worthy of being showcased as significant without pointing out to us yet again that it's 64 bit, and it's got Time Machine. We already knew that.

Hopefully as we near October we'll learn of the things that Steve should have been discussing as his top ten, and his complete list of "secret" features he couldn't tell us about before.

I know it's possible I expect more from Apple than I did before. Apple has had a long time to work on Leopard and still has quite a stretch left to go before GM. I think Apple did the opposite of what they normally do. This time they over promised, and under performed.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Actually this sounds like exactly what they are doing. When you put the MacBook to sleep now a file (/var/vm/sleepimage) equal in size to your RAM is written out. This is read in on wake. Sounds like there will now be two files and you choose which one to load. Pretty nice.

Right, but the mention of the word "booting" wouldn't make sense then. When you wake a computer from sleep, it doesn't reboot the OS, it simply restores the state of the OS from the saved out memory, which is much faster than having to do all of the hardware initialization again (as booting does).

Although they mention saving the state (ie. all of your programs coming back the way they were when you switched OSes), they also mention booting. So it would appear to me that the OS will need to be rebooted upon switch, then it'll restore it's state from a file.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Can't Windows users already communicate with all their iChat buddies using AIM?

I understand AIM 6.0 broke the videoconferencing compatibility, though...

AIM 6.0 is a shame. An absolute abomination. iChat for Windows would be a godsend for those of us who use both a Mac and a PC. There is a certain limit, however, to the apps that Apple should allow for the PC. I think any software they offer free for the Mac, they should offer free for Windows. Unfortunately, iChat only comes bundled with OS X, meaning they would be unlikely to offer it free to Windows users and not Mac users. I'd use it. I've been looking for something to replace AIM 5.8 for quite some time... but nothing is quite good enough.

(I'm already using Safari for XP and love it, by the way. Sure there are bugs, but it's lean and VERY fast. I'm so happy that Apple did this (and actually that it took this long) although I don't find the announcement "One more thing..." worthy. It's earth-shattering and will have huge implications on Apple's brand exposure but I think most of the world said, "yes yes yes, 'one more thing'! -- oh... Safari?")

-Clive
  • Reply 45 of 51
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

AIM 6.0 is a shame. An absolute abomination. iChat for Windows would be a godsend for those of us who use both a Mac and a PC.

You're not wrong but I think the bigger shame is that Apple haven't yet gone past AIM and Jabber compatibility. In Europe almost nobody uses AIM on Windows. They all use MSN. They don't even have to have video/audio working but just simple IM would mean I'd use iChat more.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Right, but the mention of the word "booting" wouldn't make sense then. When you wake a computer from sleep, it doesn't reboot the OS, it simply restores the state of the OS from the saved out memory, which is much faster than having to do all of the hardware initialization again (as booting does).

Although they mention saving the state (ie. all of your programs coming back the way they were when you switched OSes), they also mention booting. So it would appear to me that the OS will need to be rebooted upon switch, then it'll restore it's state from a file.

I'm hoping it like I'm interpreting. If they restore the stack and RAM and a few other things this should 'just work'.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I'm hoping it like I'm interpreting. If they restore the stack and RAM and a few other things this should 'just work'.

Not if Windows and Mac OS initialize the hardware differently (eg. read/write buffer address mapping, IRQs). They'd need to store/restore that type of state information in addition to what's in memory. Which is why I'm a bit skeptical.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Im not seeing the little widget maker in the Safari 3 beta...

Am I blind or did they leave it out?
  • Reply 49 of 51
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Is it just me, or did Steve's WWDC Keynote seem a little flat and off?

- No real mention of Leopard's speed. Some folks who are using the WWDC Beta of Leopard are raving about how fast it is, better multithreading, all-Cocoa Finder, no beachball, etc.

- No mention of resolution-independence. According to folks who have the WWDC Beta, it's in there.

- Talked over Schiller, when Schiller was providing some of the funniest moments of the Keynote.

- No mention of iLife updates. Leopard Macs, when they go on sale, aren't going to include updated iLife apps? Hard to believe... even if the updates are only moderate, at least mention that they're going to ship at the same time as Leopard Macs (as additional incentive to buy a new Mac), or, if they're delayed past initial Leopard Mac ship dates, state that Leopard Mac buyers will be able to get them later for free or cheap.

[btw, thanks for the correction, aegis]

- Said "this is really cool" like 800 times. Maybe it is, but if you overuse a catch phrase, it stops meaning anything. Ask Paris Hilton... her "That's hot!" no longer is.

- Didn't seem to emphasize the 'Beta' aspect of Safari 3 enough. Its getting some pretty harsh criticism on the Windows side right now. Like it or not, Apple software is being held to a very high standard now, and Steve and Apple need to be very aware of those expectations, even if they're a bit unfair.

Overall, Steve just didn't seem like he was really into it. And it wasn't because Leopard wasn't good... the speed alone is good reason to upgrade. Steve, atypically for him, seemed to be going through the motions a bit.

Is he just a bit tired, perhaps? He's in his '50s, a cancer survivor, and things at Apple are really jumping right now. Perhaps he needs to take in some rays at Kihei for a couple of weeks or something... never hurts.

• Reply 50 of 51
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

Im not seeing the little widget maker in the Safari 3 beta...

Am I blind or did they leave it out?

It's a Leopard feature only so that's why it's not in the beta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

- No mention of iLife updates. Leopard's not going to include updated iLife apps?? Hard to believe... even if the updates are only moderate, at least mention that they're going to ship with Leopard, or, if they're delayed past Leopard's ship date, state that Leopard users will be able to get them later for free or cheap.

iLife hasn't been included in any of Apple's OS releases. You get it 'free' with a new Mac, not a new OS. But apart from that, yes, they're way late with iLife and iWork updates.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

iLife hasn't been included in any of Apple's OS releases. You get it 'free' with a new Mac, not a new OS. But apart from that, yes, they're way late with iLife and iWork updates.

Would've been better to say 'Leopard Macs', you're right. \