Where are iLife and iWork?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
We?ve seen no updates to these suites for over a year now, and yet Apple still uses them as a strong selling point for the Mac. Where are the updates?!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Where are they, indeed.



    AppleWorks is still on sale having not been updated in many years. Granted, however, it is a complete package that actually WORKS. iWork desperately needs a spreadsheet and a database and some improvement to Pages in order to call itself a For-Work suite. I will likely upgrade Adobe CS later this year as well as Filemaker Pro... ugh, the money I don't have...



    iLife 06 is actually a very good little package as it is; my only wish is that they had more templates to build from in many of the apps. If they have to choose, I hope they aim at iWork first.



    Leopard was delayed because they put resources towards the iPhone (so they say). Perhaps lots of things got delayed for the iPhone. Once the iPhone goes on sale in about two weeks, I think we will see some movement on other fronts.



    Something is slightly odd at Apple this year, and I can't put my finger on it. They seem to be working on something big that they are not sharing. Also, the branching out into new markets is beginning to hurt their computer division, I feel. Unless they know more about the future than we do...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    Leopard was delayed because they put resources towards the iPhone (so they say). Perhaps lots of things got delayed for the iPhone. Once the iPhone goes on sale in about two weeks, I think we will see some movement on other fronts.



    Something is slightly odd at Apple this year, and I can't put my finger on it. They seem to be working on something big that they are not sharing. Also, the branching out into new markets is beginning to hurt their computer division, I feel. Unless they know more about the future than we do...



    Well I hope we get something. That damned iPhone seems to have stopped everything else at Apple. There must be some mega-top-secret project going on in there? things seem too quiet, if you know what I mean.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post


    Well I hope we get something. That damned iPhone seems to have stopped everything else at Apple. There must be some mega-top-secret project going on in there… things seem too quiet, if you know what I mean.



    I don't see what you do mean. All I see is a black hole named iPhone, sucking resources as if there is no tomorrow.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,061member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    I don't see what you do mean. All I see is a black hole named iPhone, sucking resources as if there is no tomorrow.



    Agreed.



    And I would love to have iWork completed too. I would love to give MS the middle digit, believe me, but I can't. Not without a good spreadsheet, at least.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,061member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    I don't see what you do mean. All I see is a black hole named iPhone, sucking resources as if there is no tomorrow.



    Agreed.



    And I would love to have iWork completed too. I would love to give MS the middle digit, believe me, but I can't. Not without a good spreadsheet, at least.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Good to see you are making the most of your summer holiday, Slewis!



    Wish I had more time..
  • Reply 9 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:

    Where are iLife and iWork?!



    October my dear man, October.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,398member
    October is too far off! Back to Vista, you knaves!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced. I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard, and it would be great to get all of us on the one version. I hope Steve and Co. uses their brains when they do this thing.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced. I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard, and it would be great to get all of us on the one version. I hope Steve and Co. uses their brains when they do this thing.



    It seems like a pipe dream, but I want it to be true soo bad. They've been decreasing the price of their hardware incrementally; is there any possibility that they'd do this for the software as well? I'm pretty sure that everyone would happily pay $129 for an all-inclusive package.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post


    It seems like a pipe dream, but I want it to be true soo bad. They've been decreasing the price of their hardware incrementally; is there any possibility that they'd do this for the software as well? I'm pretty sure that everyone would happily pay $129 for an all-inclusive package.



    Let's play the waiting game.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced.



    Exactly. This alone rules out this possibility. Next OS X release? Who knows, perhaps. But not now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard...



    Not going to happen. Why then buy a new Mac?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced. I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard, and it would be great to get all of us on the one version. I hope Steve and Co. uses their brains when they do this thing.



    Leopard, no. New Mac, yes. I can see the new iWork suite getting shown at the Apple Expo in Paris then shipping after Leopard is released, but I do not see iLife getting released until MacWorld2008. This will give Apple that much more time to polish the iPhone, .mac, iWeb trilogy.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Now this.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post


    Now this.



    Does that mean we'll have to wear those ridiculous glasses when using those apps?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    maybe Apple will make a 3D spreadsheet, so we can enter volumetric data. egads...



    seriously, tho. seems likely 3D charting, keynote effects, etc...
Sign In or Register to comment.