Official Next Macbook Pro Thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Even after 2 years since the TiBook was released, when I purchased mine, it was still the coolest computer on the market.

I'm just wishing for a Ti with strong hinges! I won't get started on my TiBook loving but let's just say that I was ready to buy two weeks ago but the MBPs just aren't exciting me enough to spend that much money replacing a Ti that is doing very well, do all I need of it with only the occastional SSBOD.

I wish Apple would ease back on leading from the front with the processors. I'm sure that a 2.4GHz Merom is significantly more costly than a 2.0 and that 4GB of flash to use as Robson with Santa Rosa would have been cheaper and potentially made the machine faster. I would have bought that machine.

I can't see any real innovation in the Pro laptop line; just putting Intel's hard work into the case they designed in 2002.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you mean easier access to HDD a la MacBook (non-pro), then yes. Otherwise, I like it as it is. I'm not sure if I'd buy one myself, but I reckon it'd be worth Apple's while to make a black anodised version and sell it at a premium - there's no doubt in my mind people would buy it.

Haha... I would buy it!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenosce View Post

KEYBOARD CHANGES

Completely agree with the need for keyboard changes. At the very minimum:

1. Put the CTRL key as the bottom-leftmost key - this would be a huge change for MS Office users who depend on keyboard shortcuts to speed through tasks (i.e. move the fn key someplace else)

2. Give us a real DEL key in addition to the BACKSPACE key masquerading as a "delete" key

3. On the 17" Macbook Pro, there is enough space for a numeric keypad - and would also make it look more "balanced" - there is now too much empty space

4. Would be nice to have a better keyboard from a tactile standpoint - try a ThinkPad and you will know what I mean

TRACKPAD CHANGES

1. Apple mice now have right-click functionality, so why not give us a RIGHT-CLICK button - the current single one is too big anyway (the large size makes it less responsive than smaller buttons on other notebooks); the 2-finger right-clicking function is not that easy to execute for us older folk - I often have to try several times as I typiclly end up moving something than achieving a right-click

Quote:

USB PORTS

For the 15" Macbook Pro, please put both UBS ports together - or better yet, give us another one. There are an increasing number of USB devices (e.g. portable hard drives) that require one port for power.

Quote:

MEMORY CARD READER

I hate having to carry things separately, but have to do so now because I have to carry a memory card reader for the PCI Express slot that normally holds my wireless broadband card...

Please.. PUT a memory card reader... but MacBook Pro is a professionnal laptop used by, i am sure, lot of photographers... SO PLEASE don't make it like PC's ... put a COMPACTFLASH card reader ... and giveaway a SD/MMC/MS to CompactFlash Adapter with the MBP so everyone feels it good... but the adapter must not stick out

My 2¢ too! But i hope to see our nice wishlist done for the next revision!
  • Reply 63 of 95
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Whilst random access of an SSD is much faster than that of an HDD, sequential I/O is slower. So reading/writing large files from/to SSD is slower.

It is my understanding that SSDs currently also have much lower MTBF than hard drives.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

I think what would be really something special to watch and be a part of is if Apple decided to reinvent the notebook computer, like they tried to reinvent the cell phone with iPhone, (we won't know for sure until someone uses it). I think it would be a refreshing thing to see them change the face of notebook computing. They're certainly capable of it, the question remains though: what innovations are required to change it to such a degree? And are they really thinking of iPhone as being the next revolutionary step in mobile computing?

No. The iPhone is designed for quick, small tasks such as a quick e-mail, or a quick txt message... nothing too strenuous. Another issue is storage. Heck, we already see that issue - How do we store videos and a decent-sized music library with the limited memory given by the flash inside, let alone doing, say keynote presentations, or word processing. Another one is screen size... who wants to be making a Keynote or word processing, or even photo or video editing on a little 3" screen? I don't see it happening. Apple knows well that portables are portables, and not computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I have a MBP C2D. It is the best Apple product I have owned, hands down. The display is a bit uneven with the backlighting. That is my only complaint. The jaundice issue is not confirmed across the board yet. I do agree the illumination is not even. It can be bothersome.

LED backlighting has the screen much more evenly lit; that issue's been fixed
  • Reply 65 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

No. The iPhone is designed for quick, small tasks such as a quick e-mail, or a quick txt message... nothing too strenuous. Another issue is storage. Heck, we already see that issue - How do we store videos and a decent-sized music library with the limited memory given by the flash inside, let alone doing, say keynote presentations, or word processing. Another one is screen size... who wants to be making a Keynote or word processing, or even photo or video editing on a little 3" screen? I don't see it happening. Apple knows well that portables are portables, and not computers.

LED backlighting has the screen much more evenly lit; that issue's been fixed

I'm not saying the iPhone was meant to do all those things. We already know that, Genius. I'm saying it's possible this is the direction Apple wants to take with it. Future iterations of the device will undoubtedly incorporate more tasks related to a "desktop" computing environment. I can see it happening, even if the device grows slightly in physical size to encourage use in these areas. We probably won't see an ultra portable notebook from Apple, but the iPhone will evolve to fill the role.
  • Reply 66 of 95
    This is straying off topic. I could create a whole 'nother thread to discuss the future design of mobile computing. Here we're talking about the Next Macbook Pro, and next one after that, and next...

Anyone feel WiMAX is a viable/useful technology to be incorporating into the next few versions of the MBP?
  • Reply 67 of 95
    Quote:

I'm not saying the iPhone was meant to do all those things. We already know that, Genius. I'm saying it's possible this is the direction Apple wants to take with it. Future iterations of the device will undoubtedly incorporate more tasks related to a "desktop" computing environment. I can see it happening, even if the device grows slightly in physical size to encourage use in these areas. We probably won't see an ultra portable notebook from Apple, but the iPhone will evolve to fill the role.

Why bother with that? Ultraportables are already designed for that you're saying the iPhone should change to do. Why change a product when there's already one that will do that? Keep the iPhone in your mind as being what it is. A phone, not an iUltraportableLetsMakeItDoAnythingBeforeItsFeasibl ePod.
  • Reply 68 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Why bother with that? Ultraportables are already designed for that you're saying the iPhone should change to do. Why change a product when there's already one that will do that? Keep the iPhone in your mind as being what it is. A phone, not an iUltraportableLetsMakeItDoAnythingBeforeItsFeasibl ePod.

That's already what the iPhone is on the first iteration! A do-everything-phone! iPod, phone, internet communicator... photos, sms, email, video, music.... add a spreadsheet o-matic and it's practically already a Mac. It's already clear that this will be the path of the next mobile computing solution. Forget the ultra-portable. And forget the iPhone... back to the Macbook Pro!
  • Reply 69 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

It has to do with the location of the optical/hard drives, and the fact that the case is metal. Trust me, they would if they could. A better button would be good enough for me, the current one is too thin, and I have to use a fingernail rather than my thumb.

Huh? The fact that the case is metal?

It's aluminium (sorry, aluminum for you US types) or, more likely, an alloy, therefore non ferrous, therefore it will not carry a magnetic charge. Try sticking a magnet on an aluminium panel, won't happen without glue.

I accept that the optical/hard drives might be too close to any magnetic latch.

Errrmm, this is my first post. Hardly the best way to start is it?
  • Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

It's aluminium (sorry, aluminum for you US types) or, more likely, an alloy, therefore non ferrous, therefore it will not carry a magnetic charge. Try sticking a magnet on an aluminium panel, won't happen without glue.

Welcome. Excellent first post.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I believe the correct first post is: " Hi, my name is Christian, and I'm a Macaholic."

no, seriously, great job jumping right into the discussion.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Welcome. Excellent first post.

I agree. I think this post adequetely conveys the confusion and incomprehensible topic discussions that you'll find littered throughout the forum. Joking aside though, welcome to the addiction! melgross has the high score.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    Quote:

I agree. I think this post adequetely conveys the confusion and incomprehensible topic discussions that you'll find littered throughout the forum. Joking aside though, welcome to the addiction! melgross has the high score.

Yes, welcome, welcome! Agreed as well, great post

Mel... I'm starting to wonder if she's a bot, gathering those posts... :P
  • Reply 74 of 95
    mlondonmlondon Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Right now I think the MacBook Pro line is really crap. From the crappy uneven illumination and narrow viewing angles in the 15" and the standard 17" to the yellowish cast in the displays to the static and hiss coming through the headphone jack, it's a mess right now. The current design has run its course. We're 4 1/2 years on the same design. They NEED to change the design and FIX all of the flaws wit this product! I find it so frustrating! It's not worth the $2,000+!

HI...

Wondering if you are referring to the latest versions of the MBP when you refer to "crappy uneven illumination", "yellowish cast" and "hiss thru the headphone jack"?

I need a MBP for an upcoming trip, but didnt know about these problems. Anyone with a (June 2007) MBP having this issues?
  • Reply 75 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

HI...

Wondering if you are referring to the latest versions of the MBP when you refer to "crappy uneven illumination", "yellowish cast" and "hiss thru the headphone jack"?

I need a MBP for an upcoming trip, but didnt know about these problems. Anyone with a (June 2007) MBP having this issues?

No don't listen to this guy. He is an idiot who is complaining about isolated cases of crazy problems occuring in the original revisions of Macbook Pro of early last year. Since then there have been 2 (?) updates to the MBP that have improved the speed and capability of the machine quite a bit. In any case these early problems were not terribly widespread and most of the bugs were worked out within the first revision's manufacturing cycles. You should feel excited about getting one, especially the new 15" with LED monitor! Buy two and send one to me.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

No don't listen to this guy. He is an idiot who is complaining about isolated cases of crazy problems occuring in the original revisions of Macbook Pro of early last year.

I'm not so sure about that.

The "yellow cast" thing does seem to be a problem with some of the new L.E.D. backlit 15"ers, with some reporting that calibration fixes it, and some reporting that it doesn't.

On the other issues, he was/is definitely exaggerating, but the uneven backlighting (on CCFL panels, L.E.D. helps with this problem a lot, apparently) and hiss through the headphone jack definitely are "problems". However, I put "problems" in inverted commas, because they are problems with all laptops, not just Apple's.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    The demo machine at our store has no issues. I think it's a case-by-case thing.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

HI...

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that.

The "yellow cast" thing does seem to be a problem with some of the new L.E.D. backlit 15"ers, with some reporting that calibration fixes it, and some reporting that it doesn't.

On the other issues, he was/is definitely exaggerating, but the uneven backlighting (on CCFL panels, L.E.D. helps with this problem a lot, apparently) and hiss through the headphone jack definitely are "problems". However, I put "problems" in inverted commas, because they are problems with all laptops, not just Apple's.

Well maybe he is right then about the yellow LED thing because I haven't heard anything on that yet. But I maintain that many "problems" can be misconstrued as epidemics when it comes to getting information on the internet. 10 million products could be sold but if the manufactuer produces 99.9% quality product that means that 10,000 people ended up with bad products. All of those people will report on the web that the product sucks while you'll never hear a word out of the people happy with the product.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

The demo machine at our store has no issues. I think it's a case-by-case thing.

I'm curious to know how well the LED screen saturates the colors compared to the glossy screens.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

New keyboard design, new case design, and mag latch.

I second that. The PowerBook, and MBP keyboards are some what lacking I find. Yes, I could whack on an external USB keyboard, but I don't want to cart that around with me all the time. I used to have an Evesham PC laptop, and the keyboard on that was perfect (apart from the numeric keypad, but let's face it that's a laptop issue anyway). The MBP keyboards look nice, but they simply don't work as well as I'd like.