iPhone battery life, virtual keyboard concern early testers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Can the keyboard be used in landscape orientation?

Can the icons on the home screen be arranged alphabetically?

Send these suggestions to Apple and AT&T. The beauty of this thing is that it only takes a s/w upgrade to happen!
  • Reply 22 of 61
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

Or a future software upgrade, if it isn't there already under Settings. You have to remember, the beauty of this product is that the software is upgradable. As long as the hardware is there (and the vibrating capability is), then the software can be modified to access it.

The software possibly can be updated, but there's been nothing from Apple about what updates they will support for iPhone 1.0.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple lovers need to prepare themselves for the backlash once the iPhone is released. It can't possibly live up to the uninformed hype that surrounds it. Apple critics, bashers, and haters already have their knives sharpened ready to slash Apple and the iPhone to shreds when it hits the streets. This is partly do to Apple's own hype machine but the majority is just because its Apple and certain segments of the self-styled geek technocrats hate the company with a fierce passion.

So hold onto your butts when it's finally out. I see the vitriol rising on numerous web sites. And of course we'll have to deal with the usual whining crybabies who buy the thing and then commence to trash it because, well, that's what they do. You already see it on these forums.

I would say there's more people out there who can't stand the mac-zealot than apple itself. And the zealots don't help it any by completely disregarding any fair criticism as 'apple-bashing', coming up with pointless 'work-arounds' for obvious missing features, or simply dismissing comments by saying "it's not meant to do that" or the like (I try that as a programmer, and, really, it doesn't take you that far as an argument).

And if all the bashing is just personal against Apple, then that would imply that the iPhone is the perfect device. Then why would you need a new version or software updates?

And I can't imagine anyone hating apple so much as to spend $600 on an iPhone just so they can then rip it.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

The software possibly can be updated, but there's been nothing from Apple about what updates they will support for iPhone 1.0.

Except for the January keynote where Jobs said that the whole point of the iPhone interface was that unlike plastic buttons it can be changed...
  • Reply 24 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Apple stated that there will be free software upgrades, just like with the iPod.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Exchange compatibility seems like a big, huge deal that one of those fancy Web 2.0 apps/sites could make happen, but it would be better for both Apple and Microsoft if they would come out with one together.

Microsoft has a HUGE interest in maintaining its Exchange dominance and won't want the iPhone to start eroding that among the power users that are often the IT decision-makers at their companies.

Personally, I would love to see Apple (1) make Mail, Address Book and iCal completely inter-operable with Outlook/Exchange, and (2) port all three apps to PC. I'm not dropping Firefox for the PC version of Safari, but I would almost certainly drop Outlook for the Mac apps if they worked seamlessly with Exchange.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mib View Post

he's picking up on some concern from beta testers

sure, the beta test program for the iPhone, who hasn't heard of it?

what a blowhard, I'm sure he is at least 6 degrees removed from anyone who has ever even seen an iPhone, let alone any 'concerned beta testers'. don't make me laugh.

Before you blow even harder, until today's announcement, there was no information about Apple's longer kife battery.

If you've been reading other threads here, you would also see that many, if not most, posting on that subject, think that this battery is not new, that Apple has been using it for months.

If that's so, then the concerns are real.

Even if it isn't, the other concerns expressed, are real as well.

Those concerns are about how much battery life will be available in any one function, after using it for any length of time in another.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'd also wonder if the text generation wouldn't prefer a larger numeric keypad and predicative text as they are used to on current phones... at least as an option.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Before you blow even harder, until today's announcement, there was no information about Apple's longer kife battery.

If you've been reading other threads here, you would also see that many, if not most, posting on that subject, think that this battery is not new, that Apple has been using it for months.

Those concerns are about how much battery life will be available in any one function, after using it for any length of time in another.

I think the point is that it seems pretty unlikely that among whatever handful of sworn-to-Jobs-by-blood-oath "beta testers" are actually using the iPhone in the wild, it seems pretty unlikely that any of them are reporting back to "analysts" about their "concerns".

At best you would have a somebody told somebody told somebody rumor, hence the six degrees of separation comment. That's quite a bit different from noting that observers, in general, "have concerns" about battery life, which is a given.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    mibmib Posts: 2member

Of course these concerns are real, my point was about the beta testers this guys supposedly is in touch with. Instead he is just rehashing what he reads on these forums and kicking in open doors.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think the point is that it seems pretty unlikely that among whatever handful of sworn-to-Jobs-by-blood-oath "beta testers" are actually using the iPhone in the wild, it seems pretty unlikely that any of them are reporting back to "analysts" about their "concerns".

At best you would have a somebody told somebody told somebody rumor, hence the six degrees of separation comment. That's quite a bit different from noting that observers, in general, "have concerns" about battery life, which is a given.

I think that any number of these people, and, remember that we don't know who most of them are, would be telling analysts what they think. Some of them may even BE analysts.

Don't forget that analysts have access to sources that we don't.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mib View Post

Of course these concerns are real, my point was about the beta testers this guys supposedly is in touch with. Instead he is just rehashing what he reads on these forums and kicking in open doors.

No, YOU read what's on these forums. They have their own information sources. They don't need us.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'd be even more confident that since iPhone has a 30-pin iPod connector, the airline adapter won't be mag safe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The improved battery life and glass screen are helping the stock jump today.

As for email, I think Safari is a great way for corporate users to access their Exchange accounts. An easily created app that can be built to look like the iPhone's UI while providing all the necessary Exchange info and interacting with the core iPhone components.

How exactly is that going to work with the 30-pin connector?

Well I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Mag Safe referred to the break away connection not the type of pin connector.. I understand that iPhone uses a 30 pin connector, but couldn't Apple still make a 30 pin connector Mag Safe with a break away cord before the 30 pin connection?
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Well I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Mag Safe referred to the break away connection not the type of pin connector.. I understand that iPhone uses a 30 pin connector, but couldn't Apple still make a 30 pin connector Mag Safe?

They would have to make a dongle with pins on one side and mag safe on the other.

Mag Safe doesn't have pins, per se-- it uses (duh!) magnetic attraction to hold the connector in place, instead of the friction of pins stuck into sockets.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

If you are so concerned, perhaps the information posted on the iPhone Technical Spec site would be of value.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

As you can see, the test results are obviously recent since they were conducted in May and June, and on preproduction iPhones and software.

I would suggest that these results as qualified will fall under the normal standards of measurement, and as such, will be significantly better than actually found on other similarly functional devices.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If you are so concerned, perhaps the information posted on the iPhone Technical Spec site would be of value.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

As you can see, the test results are obviously recent since they were conducted in May and June, and on preproduction iPhones and software.

I would suggest that these results as qualified will fall under the normal standards of measurement, and as such, will be significantly better than actually found on other similarly functional devices.

No, those specs do not answer the questions raised.

You didn't refer to my questions at all.

we all know the new specs. They must have been confirmed under some testing protocall, that's obvious.

My question related to real-world use, which Apple's testing does not.

It goes like this;

Talk on the phone for 30 minutes.

Listen to music for an hour.

Talk for another 20 minutes.

Watch a 22 minute Tv show.

Go to the internet for 20 minutes.

Listen to another 30 minutes of music.

Talk on the phone for another 15 minutes.

Etc.

Under those conditions, how much time can be expected under any of those settings?

Under my scenario, I talked for 65 minutes. How much music listening time does that give me? How much video time? How much internet time on the phone network using EDGE? How much using WiFi?

Get the point?
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Well I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Mag Safe referred to the break away connection not the type of pin connector.. I understand that iPhone uses a 30 pin connector, but couldn't Apple still make a 30 pin connector Mag Safe with a break away cord before the 30 pin connection?

Building on what Addabox stated, they could create one but it would be in two parts. The first part would be small and plug into your 30-pin connector. the other part would be the USB cable. The two parts would then attach via the Magsafe adapter. this won't happen as I don't see people really tripping over a 2.5' USB cable as much of a problem as most of these are attached to the comupter anyhow.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

No, those specs do not answer the questions raised.

Why wouldn't it just be proportional? If it's 24 hours of music and 6 hours of talk, if you listened to music for 12 hours, it would drain half the battery, leaving 3 hours of talk time. In general, I've found Apple's estimates of battery life to be pretty accurate, and I'd imagine that this is the same. I'd be concerned, though, that these times would be decreased dramatically because of multi-tasking.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

My question related to real-world use, which Apple's testing does not.

I'd like to see how much actual time you get from a consistent watching of YouTube videos via WiFi while either talking on the phone or listening to music at the same.

I guess we'll have to wait for consumer hands-on testing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Why wouldn't it just be proportional? If it's 24 hours of music and 6 hours of talk, if you listened to music for 12 hours, it would drain half the battery, leaving 3 hours of talk time. In general, I've found Apple's estimates of battery life to be pretty accurate, and I'd imagine that this is the same. I'd be concerned, though, that these times would be decreased dramatically because of multi-tasking.

It's all proportional, but as your last sentence points out multi-tasking will fudge these numbers. Melgross simply points out that the numbers displayed will not coincide to the average iPhone user's usage.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

I'd like to see how much actual time you get from a consistent watching of YouTube videos via WiFi while either talking on the phone or listening to music at the same.

I guess we'll have to wait for consumer hands-on testing.

I think we should prepare ourselves for the first wave of "iPhone teh sux!" postings, as early adopters drain the battery watching movies and surfing, then get pissed when they can't take the next call.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

And that could be a very realistic usage, if the phone allows it.