Apple updates Apple TV with YouTube support (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, it reminds me of the days of entering my name into a game to save my high score. I too hope they introduce some means to use a keyboard. I don't recall aTV having Bluetooth, and I can't see a wired keyboard being useful, so the USB port is out unless you get a dongle.

I hope they allow you to cut/paste and sync prefered YouTube links within ITunes.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    I think AppleTV is starting to get cool enough for me to start seriously thinking about picking one up. A couple questions though: 1. I see that there is a label "pair remote" This must be for bluetooth devices, right? You don't have to be limited to just the small remote that came with the box. Will it pair with a bluetooth enabled keyboard, or mouse? Do you guys think that they are going to give the iphone the capability of acting as a multifunction remote for the AppleTV? Just wondering.... I'm saving for June 29th, but this may be on the docket soon after.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    There are a few other things that have been changed in this update :-

In Settings you can how :-

Select the iTunes Store you want to be connected too. This then limits the Music Top Songs / Top Videos to the store selected. It also removes the Top TV Shows / TV Show Previews and Top Movies from the TV Shows and Movies menus if they are not sold in your store. You can still see Movie Trailers though, which is good.

Select a Photo Album to be used for the Screen Saver rather than it using your whole Library.

There is a new Screen Saver option - Slide Show - which again you can select which Photo Album to use.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, it reminds me of the days of entering my name into a game to save my high score. I too hope they introduce some means to use a keyboard. I don't recall aTV having Bluetooth, and I can't see a wired keyboard being useful, so the USB port is out unless you get a dongle.

I'm sure Apple hates the alphabet-searching with the remote, but they REALLY don't want a keyboard on this thing. They don't want it to be WebTV. I think they're just hoping that people don't have to use that awful alphabet screen very often.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

I think AppleTV is starting to get cool enough for me to start seriously thinking about picking one up. A couple questions though: 1. I see that there is a label "pair remote" This must be for bluetooth devices, right? You don't have to be limited to just the small remote that came with the box. Will it pair with a bluetooth enabled keyboard, or mouse? Do you guys think that they are going to give the iphone the capability of acting as a multifunction remote for the AppleTV? Just wondering.... I'm saving for June 29th, but this may be on the docket soon after.

It' to pair that specific Infrared Apple Remote to a specific device. You can pair the remote with Infrared enabled Macs too.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have not heard of Bluetooth being in aTV. I don't think iPhone has an IR output. There's a vague chance that iPhone could use WiFi to control aTV, but somehow, I doubt it would happen.

The IR remote has a unique number embedded into each one so you can set one particular remote to control only one device. Without pairing, any Apple remote will work with any Apple computer or aTV. Pairing allows you to have multiple Apple branded IR-controlled devices in an area, and control a specific device without resorting to weird tricks to make sure only one device gets the signal.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

I think AppleTV is starting to get cool enough for me to start seriously thinking about picking one up. A couple questions though: ...Do you guys think that they are going to give the iphone the capability of acting as a multifunction remote for the AppleTV?

I can't imagine why this would make you think its worth getting. Do you find YouTube to be such an entertainment vehicle (which, BTW, contains a lot of TV content, yet Apple doesn't think it should have DVR capabilities) to push it over the edge, over watching movies and shows from your computer?

And, no, the iPhone won't be a remote for this thing. Or if it did, they'd have the same crappy buttons as on their remote. If they felt the AppleTV could use a better remote and made one out of the iPhone, wouldn't people complain that Apple knows their remote blows chunks and needs to be replaced with something that, I don't know, has some kind of features besides "forward" and "backward"?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I use a Logitech Harmony 1000 remote with my Apple TV and it's great.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I use a Logitech Harmony 1000 remote with my Apple TV and it's great.

with this latest update, my harmony remote doesn't 'type' well on the search and entry areas. everywhere else it seems fine.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I can't imagine why this would make you think its worth getting. Do you find YouTube to be such an entertainment vehicle (which, BTW, contains a lot of TV content, yet Apple doesn't think it should have DVR capabilities) to push it over the edge, over watching movies and shows from your computer?

And, no, the iPhone won't be a remote for this thing. Or if it did, they'd have the same crappy buttons as on their remote. If they felt the AppleTV could use a better remote and made one out of the iPhone, wouldn't people complain that Apple knows their remote blows chunks and needs to be replaced with something that, I don't know, has some kind of features besides "forward" and "backward"?

This is definitely a plus for AppleTV as far as I'm concerned. Youtube seems to me to be much better suited to sitting on the couch rather than at the computer. Rather than flipping around for some dumb half-hour or hour-long TV show, you can watch a few dumb 5-minute youtube videos.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    I don't want my kids surfing YouTube... Is there an iTunes sync setting that lets me turn YouTube off?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

This is definitely a plus for AppleTV as far as I'm concerned. Youtube seems to me to be much better suited to sitting on the couch rather than at the computer. Rather than flipping around for some dumb half-hour or hour-long TV show, you can watch a few dumb 5-minute youtube videos.

I agree, it is a plus -- and a harbinger of things to come.

still, though, no widget support. its coming, it just makes sense.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post

I don't want my kids surfing YouTube... Is there an iTunes sync setting that lets me turn YouTube off?

No, sorry.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does it affect StartUpItems? If not, you could create a simple app that could check for and reinstall any missing plug-ins during startup.

Just a thought.

Won't know till I get a chance to re-patch and look.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    YouTube is cool, but the biggest update to me is allowing photos to be synced first, then movies, tv, music, etc. I'm amazed that wasn't set by default, since photos can't be streamed.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Yes it is, though, you set up parental controls in AppleTV with an iPod-esque code. It's not set in iTunes, since, iTunes doesn't facilitate the YouTube integration. See the iLounge article.

• Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

No, sorry.

Quote:

On Edgadget that same question was asked. The response was that Apple "added a parental control for disabling YouTube."
  • Reply 38 of 45
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "Do you find YouTube to be such an entertainment vehicle (which, BTW, contains a lot of TV content, yet Apple doesn't think it should have DVR capabilities) to push it over the edge, over watching movies and shows from your computer?"

Being able to watch David Bowie in a dress and Marianne Faithfull in a Nun's habit singing "I Got You, Babe" to each other is a definite plus for me.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    djpadzdjpadz Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Yes it is, though, you set up parental controls in AppleTV with an iPod-esque code. It's not set in iTunes, since, iTunes doesn't facilitate the YouTube integration. See the iLounge article.

Be aware, however, that doing a factory reset on the AppleTV will remove the parental controls passcode. Guess there's not much you can do about that, since there's no physical means for preventing a factory reset.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.