Apple Mice

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I see lots of comments about Apple mice but I'd like to see this as a chart.



So what do you think of your Apple mouse.



Personally I quite liked the ADB, I loved the ADBII, the puck was awful and since then I've learnt to use multiple buttons and scroll wheels so have never used the Apple Pro Mouse I have except as a temporary spare.



What would you like to see improve in future mice/input devices?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    ...the puck was awful...



    Probably the worst design in the history of this technology. I have an old iMac near me but fortunately it has the Pro Mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 71member
    I have not used a mouse for years. I use a trackball.



    I wish that Apple would use their great design skills to design ergonomic mice, trackballs keyboards. Microsoft is making a fortune selling semi ergonomic equipment.



    I know there are many companies that sell ergonomic equipment, but many prices are high and because they are not truly mass produced, on the scale of an apple Inc., they are out of the range of many individuals and most companies wont pay the cost even though it will save them money in the long run in reduced medical expenses and lost productivity.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    Probably the worst design in the history of this technology. I have an old iMac near me but fortunately it has the Pro Mouse.



    I dunno... if you had hands of a child then I'm sure the puck was fine mouse.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Apple's mice for the most part are an example of Apple's desire to move forward even when they're ahead of both the wants of the consumers and limits of available technology. For the most part, I haven't used by Apple mice because they only have a single button. As for the Might mouse, the scroll ball is too small, the left and right side buttons should be independent of each other, and I don't trust the mouse to right click every time I want to it, especially with games. No, I'm not in the wrong here because of the way I hold my mouse and the "Macs should be used for games" argument is a bunch of hogwash.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    The black pro mouse i had with my G4 still runs, although the inside of the cable where it meets the mouse casing has turned green, I use it as a backup mouse for when my Logitech MX1000 needs charging. I used to have a Mighty mouse, but took it back because the scroll ball stopped working in one direction (yes I did clean it and roll it around on a pad etc, but it wasn't going to fix itself, so I took it back and got the Logitech.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    Probably the worst design in the history of this technology. I have an old iMac near me but fortunately it has the Pro Mouse.



    Actually, I rather liked the puck WHEN added to an iCatch (remember those) mouse holder/extender. The fact that the puck was round meant that it could be rotated in the holder, so the axis of the holder could be different form the axis of the mouse - it could be adjusted to a more comfortable hand grip position.



    This adjustability would be nice in a new mouse design.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post


    I have not used a mouse for years. I use a trackball.



    I wish that Apple would use their great design skills to design ergonomic mice, trackballs keyboards. Microsoft is making a fortune selling semi ergonomic equipment.



    I know there are many companies that sell ergonomic equipment, but many prices are high and because they are not truly mass produced, on the scale of an apple Inc., they are out of the range of many individuals and most companies wont pay the cost even though it will save them money in the long run in reduced medical expenses and lost productivity.



    I gotta agree with this, but my main beef is with keyboards.



    There is no reason why a big peripheral manufacturer could not deliver a keyboard with keyswitches that have good feel, keys that don't drop off, an improved key layout instead of adhering to exactly what people are used to, a size that doesn't make your mouse position unergonomic. But look at Microsoft's Ultimate Keyboard, Logitech's DiNovo, Logitech's G15, Logitech's S530... it's all dressed-up crap that favors a bunch of "cool" features instead of being a better keyboard to type on. Anything that says "ergonomic" tends to be an even bigger ergonomic failure. Apple differs from the mainstream by not being tacky, but their keyboard quality is still horrible.



    edit: and about the OP, I've never had an Apple mouse due to only owning Apple laptops, but I'm not going to get one. Ever. X11 apps need three buttons. For me, productive computer usage needs a scroll wheel. Gaming needs a scroll wheel and a non-retarded right click (unlike on the Mighty Mouse). The Apple mice might not be totally horrible, and I understand why they have a single button at least as default, but MM sorely needs two physical buttons. They could still default to one in the software.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    Actually, I rather liked the puck WHEN added to an iCatch (remember those) mouse holder/extender. The fact that the puck was round meant that it could be rotated in the holder, so the axis of the holder could be different form the axis of the mouse - it could be adjusted to a more comfortable hand grip position.



    This adjustability would be nice in a new mouse design.



    I don't know, this reminds me the problem that haunts MS for ages: release "broken" products and let others to fix them. There is a reason why this is called the puck: it is not a mouse, but, guess what, a puck.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    The Mighty Mouse is an example of form over function. The scroll ball doesn't work very well, the pointer is jumpy, and side "buttons" are abominations. That said, I still stick with it because none of the alternatives look quite right next to my iMac and it works okay most of the time.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,684member
    I'd love if you had made this poll public, we could have named and shamed those 9 idiots
  • Reply 11 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,684member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post


    The Mighty Mouse is an example of form over function. The scroll ball doesn't work very well, the pointer is jumpy, and side "buttons" are abominations. That said, I still stick with it because none of the alternatives look quite right next to my iMac and it works okay most of the time.



    You just diluted your own point at the end of it there.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I've been using a wacom 5 button mouse with a 12"x12" tablet for years now, and I love the precision of it, and the feel. Not to mention the pen/paintbrush in Photoshop, Painter, ZBrush, Modo, illustrator, Maya, etc, etc. etc...



    I'd love to see something like a wacom tablet from Apple using some of the spiffy technology they acquired from Finger-works, in conjunction with a Multi-touch interface. It could totally replace the mouse. It would be great for desktops. That way you would have Multi-touch, but you wouldn't have to outstretch your arm any time you wanted to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Apple's mice and keyboards are seriously sub-par compared to the solutions you can get from Logitech and other vendors. Kind of sad, really. The moment I get a new desktop Mac I'm going to cannibalize my Logitech MX518 mouse and nice slimline keyboard from my PC.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Now if only they still made the Logitech MX700 series and added bluetooth, that would be the best mouse in the history of the world. Perfect handling, and though there are a few unused buttons, they don't get in the way. BTW, Apple makes terrible peripherals.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    Now if only they still made the Logitech MX700 series and added bluetooth, that would be the best mouse in the history of the world.



    That was called MX900, no?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I currently use the Logitech S530 Mac Laser keyboard and mouse. It's so much better than the standard Apple kit. I'm looking forward to what Logitech has in store for us Mac users in the near future.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post


    That was called MX900, no?



    Yes, and worked horribly with the Macs.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post


    That was called MX900, no?



    I am using one on a windows machine right now (idk if it will work with my mac when it gets here, I just assumed it would) and it is definitely called a MX700. It's wireless and needs the base station with USB and a power source, and all I was trying to say the design of it is excellent.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    You just diluted your own point at the end of it there.



    You have a point but honestly, that's how I feel and I am quite certain many feel the same way. I don't love it from technical point of view, but at the same time, I like that it matches the Mac and it works good enough not to bother with a 3rd party mouse.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    I am using one on a windows machine right now (idk if it will work with my mac when it gets here, I just assumed it would) and it is definitely called a MX700. It's wireless and needs the base station with USB and a power source, and all I was trying to say the design of it is excellent.



    I am confused. Which one you do have? The MX900 or the MX700? The latter is certainly not Bluetooth. Otherwise, they are almost identical and you can easily mistake the one for the other.
Sign In or Register to comment.