Apple offers 25-minute iPhone guided tour

Comments

• Reply 41 of 139
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

It's hard to play a game when your chubby fingers are all over the screen.

Then get your chubby fingers off of the screen and use the game controls at the bottom of the screen like you're supposed to.

Edit: Thinking again, maybe the games will be in landscape mode and the custom controls will be on either side with the game in the center. Use your chubby thumbs instead.
  • Reply 42 of 139
    True, I was thinking Widescreen.
  • Reply 43 of 139
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by borisnatasha View Post

Why is it that sometimes you pinch/spread fingers to zoom out/zoom in and other times you double-tap with one finger and double tap with 2 fingers? Shouldn't the action be the same for enlarge and reduce across all apps?

I think in the demonstration the difference is that Google Maps has 18 distinct zoom levels so the pinch action is not as precise. To avoid having it jump to the closest zoom level on release they chose to "minus click" with two fingers instead. Just my guess.

m
  • Reply 44 of 139
    They must have struggled really hard to find someone who could make the iPhone seem *that* boring!

Didn't say anything that wasn't already in the Macworld Keynote, or the ads, or bleeding obvious, but somehow managed to say it in a way that makes the iPhone seem about as interesting as watching as Zune demo

- bring back Squirting Steve B - all is forgiven!
  • Reply 45 of 139
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    wow, The iPhone is fantastic.

dam, I want one.

I hope Cingular (AT&T) reception improved in San Diego.

if not I;ll have to desperately wait for the iPod 6g
  • Reply 46 of 139
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

They must have struggled really hard to find someone who could make the iPhone seem *that* boring!

They were going for Steve but he's just way to expensive...
  • Reply 47 of 139
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The video shows that Apple put a LOT of thought into this thing. It may take a while, but this thing is going to change handheld electronics. Believe you me.
  • Reply 48 of 139
    festefeste Posts: 17member
    What I want to know is, can (this initial version of) the iPhone replace a Palm PDA, once developers release software for it? Which is another way of asking: just how complex can third-party Web 2.0 applications get? In order to leave my PDA behind, I'd want a port of Password Wallet at a minimum (I'm pretty dependent on it, since all my passwords are unguessable random strings of characters), but ideally I'd want to be able to run something like Pocket Quicken, which I'm guessing is completely beyond the current iPhone's capabilities (or rather, the capabilities being made available to third-party developers).

On a tangential matter, does anyone understand how Enhanced 911 GPS chips work? Presumably, there's a GPS chip in the iPhone, because there's supposed to be one in EVERY new cell phone. but I gather that it can only be used to tell the person you're calling (the 911 operator) where you are; you can't use it to locate yourself. My question is: why is this the case? What prevents the phone from telling itself where it is?
  • Reply 49 of 139
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Does the iPhone have any type of video recording capabilities? I haven't seen it mentioned.

yeah id like to know this aswell
  • Reply 50 of 139
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

yeah id like to know this aswell

We all want to know.

I also want to know whayt the iPhone's camera interface looks like. Dammit apple.
  • Reply 51 of 139
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feste View Post

In order to leave my PDA behind, I'd want a port of Password Wallet at a minimum (I'm pretty dependent on it, since all my passwords are unguessable random strings of characters),

Well since I'd assume that Safari and Mail need password storage of some sort, I'd settle for syncing with Keychain.
  • Reply 52 of 139
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:

It was the perfect opportunity to bring Omar back into the spotlight.
  • Reply 53 of 139
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Will we have to get in line if we just want to play with the iPhone to decide if we want to get it? "Hey, don't rush me, I'm trying to decide!"
  • Reply 54 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feste View Post

What I want to know is, can (this initial version of) the iPhone replace a Palm PDA, once developers release software for it? Which is another way of asking: just how complex can third-party Web 2.0 applications get? In order to leave my PDA behind, I'd want a port of Password Wallet at a minimum (I'm pretty dependent on it, since all my passwords are unguessable random strings of characters), but ideally I'd want to be able to run something like Pocket Quicken, which I'm guessing is completely beyond the current iPhone's capabilities (or rather, the capabilities being made available to third-party developers).

On a tangential matter, does anyone understand how Enhanced 911 GPS chips work? Presumably, there's a GPS chip in the iPhone, because there's supposed to be one in EVERY new cell phone. but I gather that it can only be used to tell the person you're calling (the 911 operator) where you are; you can't use it to locate yourself. My question is: why is this the case? What prevents the phone from telling itself where it is?

1) Yeah there's a number of third party programs I want that don't work/I don't trust as web apps (that, 3G, and GPS are why I'm waiting for Revision B though I might cave). Now ideally the iPhone could just sync with your Keychain[1]?though that wouldn't work with non-Macs?but as for a web app? Of course it's possible.

There are three things to keep in mind: who is storing it, where are they storing it, and what protocol are you using to get at it. Who must be trustworthy, where must be secure, and the protocol must use decent encryption. All are doable.

That said wouldn't be cool to have a Keychain on the iPhone that's unlocked by a private gesture? Lacking a fingerprint or retinal scanner (though if it's a good enough camera?) your own personnel gesture would be an interesting way of password protecting the password storage file? Stupid lack of SDK.

[1] Where Keychain = password storage file for non-Mac users.

2) Remember e911 does not require an actual GPS chip.

There's a couple ways to do it, but basically it just uses triangulation via cellular towers. It's not accurate enough for step-by-step directions, but it can do 'what's nearby' just fine.

That said everything we've been shown or seen points to you having to enter your location/use saved locations.
  • Reply 55 of 139
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Didn't say anything that wasn't already in the Macworld Keynote, or the ads, or bleeding obvious, but somehow managed to say it in a way that makes the iPhone seem about as interesting as watching as Zune demo

- bring back Squirting Steve B - all is forgiven!

The actor might not have been exciting but the iPhone sure was! I really want one now.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Yeah, if iPod muggings are common, expect some serious crime problems with the iPhone. This has to have some kind of password lock/encryption.

I'd expect the number of iPhone muggings to be similar to current iPod muggings.
  • Reply 57 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

It's hard to play a game when your chubby fingers are all over the screen.

...I can't wait to see what my oily fingers do to the screen...
  • Reply 58 of 139
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Yeah, if iPod muggings are common, expect some serious crime problems with the iPhone. This has to have some kind of password lock/encryption.

I don't know, I would feel safe with it, because I feel that Apple has addressed the issue with the headphones.

At least by being able to advance songs and having the music resume after a call, there should be no need to pull the phone out of your pocket unless you need to initiate a call.
  • Reply 59 of 139
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

I don't know, I would feel safe with it, because I feel that Apple has addressed the issue with the headphones.

At least by being able to advance songs and having the music resume after a call, there should be no need to pull the phone out of your pocket unless you need to initiate a call.

"I won't call you, you call me." I'm fine with that.
  • Reply 60 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I didn't see any games on this phone. Seeing that it's all touch screen, I can see how it would be difficult, and the fact that Apple hates Java.

If you are just into games, I am not sure that your demographic can afford an iPhone. Sorry. (I am not just talking about the cost of the hardware).