Verizon to prospective iPhone buyers: 'Stay near a plug'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    More people have phones that do MMS that do real email. The problem wouldn't be sending pictures/video, it would be receiving.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Just curious, but what is the advantage of MMS over sending the same picture via regular email?

• Reply 22 of 110
    Are you saying keep SMS because it's something the iPhone can do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

You can just email pictures instead, which is much more useful.

I'm hoping that the iPhone will basically remove all the annoying TXT variants we have now ("TXT, PIX, FLIX etc..") with standard email that works on all phones. Sure the birthing pains may be hard, and we can't give up SMS just yet, but eventually we'll be free from those annoying 50cents a go multi-media messages.

• Reply 23 of 110
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Stay near a plug... your iPhone will only have 8 hours of battery life! Here... have one of our 2-to-5-hour models instead

And in four years when your iPhone's life has dropped to the same life OUR phone has now, you'll have all kinds of iPhone battery replacement options Which you'll probably never need anyway.

Imagine the iPhone-haters with the 4-hour batteries who will be bragging, "See! My battery just ran out! And I have the privilege of lugging along spares, so it doesn't matter! Click!" (Meanwhile their poor iPhone-burdened friends are still talking on the original charge.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Page 3 of the Verizon document says that the iPhone doesn't have ring-tones!

Damn, it must be a bitch having a phone that you have to stare at for the visual cue that someone is calling. A lot of missed calls, I'd assume.

What a bunch of pansies.

-Clive

I think they mean you have no CHOICE of ringtones.

Which obviously you do, as seen right in Apple's demo
  • Reply 24 of 110
    And I'm sure Cingular will be more than happy to sell you a 7 second ringtone for 1.99 through their Tones service!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Stay near a plug... your iPhone will only have 8 hours of battery life! Here... have one of our 2-to-5-hour models instead

And in four years when your iPhone's life has dropped to the same life OUR phone has now, you'll have all kinds of iPhone battery replacement options Which you'll probably never need anyway.

• Reply 25 of 110
    I'd like to read what they'd be saying if the iPhone was coming out on their network. They'd turn around 180 degrees and be claiming it's the best phone in the world.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

More people have phones that do MMS that do real email. The problem wouldn't be sending pictures/video, it would be receiving.

Well I cannot receive MMS from outside my network (though sending seems to work). But I can receive email from anyone. And this is from a 4 year old Nokia 6820.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:

But... there hasn't been a confirm on ringtones from your iTunes library... It's looking like that may not happen.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    What network are you on. I send receive MMS from people who have Tmobile and Sprint. I'm a Cingular customer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well I cannot receive MMS from outside my network (though sending seems to work). But I can receive email from anyone. And this is from a 4 year old Nokia 6820.

That's strange.

http://www.nokia.ca/english/products/6820/6820.asp

Share information and experiences with Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS), which allows you to send and receive messages with image, sound and text.

It's a service you have to sign up for. You can't just start sending MMS messages if you haven't signed up for the service.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    Verizon's job in the short run is to stop anyone from leaving for iPhone... and in the long run, to copy the iPhone as closely as possible!
  • Reply 30 of 110
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What network are you on. I send receive MMS from people who have Tmobile and Sprint. I'm a Cingular customer.

That's strange.

The same.....Cingular. As a matter of fact, I remember the last time I looked into this, a couple of years ago (back when it was AT&T Wireless), a rep even told me that it would not work (receiving) outside the network. However, I have sent a few MMS messages to Sprint friends and they said they received them.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

I personally think that the battery not being swappable sounds like a big deal, until I realize that I have never needed to swap the batteries in either my phone or iPod.

I agree. I charge my phone every night that i remember to. I don't have a 2nd battery laying around and never have. Personally, no one in my family or anyone else I know is that hardcore in having a 2nd battery with them at all times. So to me, that point is mute about the iPhone not having a replaceable battery. That will suck though if/when the battery needs to be replaced.

By the way: I have Verizon. When my contract is up nothing they say will stop me from switching. Free phone, discounted plan, not gonna work on me.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    Who the heck owns a cell phone and isn't *already* camped out near an outlet? And i have the original iPod and a 3rd gen. I bought my 3rd gen early in '04 and I still get 4+hours of use out of it after using it nearly everyday.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:

Imagine the iPhone-haters with the 4-hour batteries who will be bragging, "See! My battery just ran out! And I have the privilege of lugging along spares, so it doesn't matter! Click!" (Meanwhile their poor iPhone-burdened friends are still talking on the original charge.)

Like I care about the ring tones. I never purchased one, the ones that come with phones are more than fine.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    jrepicijrepici Posts: 6member
    I never take my battery out of my Blackberry, I just plug it in. The only time I take it out is when it crashes and I have to reset it.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Not many non-business users carry around a spare battery. I know people who use car chargers, but that's as far as it goes.

The only thing that scares me about the battery not being removable is that with my past experience with cell phones, sometimes they lock up, and the only way to get them to power off is to remove the battery. This is Apple, so hopefully I won't have this problem. Maybe some type of force quit built in.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpleshorts View Post

Verizon's job in the short run is to stop anyone from leaving for iPhone... and in the long run, to copy the iPhone as closely as possible!

Verizon doesn't make phones, but my prediction is by 1st quarter 2008, we'll see Windows Mobile 6 supporting as much as they can legally copy from iPhone's functionality as well as a Nokia phone running Linux with Opera browser, including Java.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    sandrosandro Posts: 21member
    Verizon obviously is crapping their pants. I rather have an iPhone with 5 minutes battery time than being stuck with a crappy phone company that cripples my phones. I just hope they lose as much business as they fear they will.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

So I guess all of those "Business People" using Wi-Fi with their laptops this whole time have been doing so with little or no security. Interesting . . . . .

Love seeing the last-minute scrambles by Verizon and Sprint.

What they say about WiFi is correct.

It's harder to find than you might think, except in limited areas.

It's also only a mobile technology in that you can use it outside the home or office.

But, you can't walk down the streets while on a call, or be in a car, on the highway. That's true mobile.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    noriyorinoriyori Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

You can just email pictures instead, which is much more useful.

I'm hoping that the iPhone will basically remove all the annoying TXT variants we have now ("TXT, PIX, FLIX etc..") with standard email that works on all phones. Sure the birthing pains may be hard, and we can't give up SMS just yet, but eventually we'll be free from those annoying 50cents a go multi-media messages.

as a workaround for no mms you can simply email a photo to the [email protected]

ex: [email protected]

this also works with t-mobile, but I don't recall the mail address.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Nothing on the iPhone that isn't already offered on WM phones, besides visual voicemail. I think companies will try to capture the interface of the iphone, but as far as functionality, the iPhone is lagging.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Verizon doesn't make phones, but my prediction is by 1st quarter 2008, we'll see Windows Mobile 6 supporting as much as they can legally copy from iPhone's functionality as well as a Nokia phone running Linux with Opera browser, including Java.