AT&T posts iPhone FAQ, says it won't offer wireless insurance

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You can. The activation process in iTunes has a place where you can select that you are replacing your existing phone.

But some of the questions on the FAQ are really stupid and don't even answer the question.

That's nice, but can I use the SIM card from my current mobile phone?

Yeah, good to know, <sigh> but back to my question, Can I ?unlock? iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

No, you're locked into contract with ATT. so far, other sim cards will not work. If you somehow manage to get the phone unlocked, and pay ATT the $175 breakup fee, possibly another sim card will work, but, it doesn't seem likely right now.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    atxz06atxz06 Posts: 11member
    So, can anyone recommend a solid third party mobile phone insurer? Did a quick google search and came up empty except for one european provider.

Thanks
  • Reply 43 of 56
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atlguy3369 View Post

I think that you should re-check your bill. If you look closely, the sms messages are numbered and alongside them, it says incoming or outgoing. All of these messages add up on your bill and then are counted together. There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages. That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call. Use common sense and think about the fact that they will charge you every cent that they can. I have been with Cingular, now At&t, for over 7 years. Many, many times, I have gone over on my sms messages because of my incoming messages and I got charged the usual $.10/message overage.

Ahemmmmmmm....

I get unlimited incoming SMS messages from any carrier in North America and unlimited outgoing SMS messages to anyone using my carrier and about 3 other carriers for $10 per month, on my cell phone. Any other carriers outside of those 3, in Canada, cost .15 per message. When I get a message from those people, I do not get charged.

I get a detailed bill, and a count of all incoming messages, with the charge beside it... $0.00

I do not have a data plan... just a voice plan with a $10 text plan added.

FYI.

Edit: I see others have responded noting the same fee structure, including free incoming call on the cell phone. Why would you pay for a call that you didn't make? I guess because you live somewhere where you have no other choice due to the cellular provider you have to use.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I've been with AT&T for years and I have never had INCOMING text messages count against my limit.

That's news to me - I've been with ATT for 6 years (back and forth with cingular too of course as they forced me to) and yes, incoming texts count against your limit.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

I understand that is how it works in the US (sometimes without the 1 minute free). But why are you so convinced it "should" be that way? Shouldn't we as consumers try to be more critical of practices like this? After all, most countries do not seem do think it "should" be this way.

It seems as though most of the world's cell phone users believe that only 1 person should pay for the phone call. Why is that such an outrageous thought for us consumers?

But as I understand it, phone service in general is different in Europe and around the world. IIRC, in most of Europe, when dialing out from your landline, you pay by the minute for the telephone call, regardless of 'local' or 'long distance'. So they're 'used to' this arrangement. In the US, you only get charged for long distance service. Local toll calls tend to be 'free'.

So, if you're going to make four local calls off your landline, you expect not to be charged for those calls. However, you would be surprised to find out that several of those calls were made to cell phones and required you to pay a fee and get all uppity about it.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

But as I understand it, phone service in general is different in Europe and around the world. IIRC, in most of Europe, when dialing out from your landline, you pay by the minute for the telephone call, regardless of 'local' or 'long distance'. So they're 'used to' this arrangement. In the US, you only get charged for long distance service. Local toll calls tend to be 'free'.

So, if you're going to make four local calls off your landline, you expect not to be charged for those calls. However, you would be surprised to find out that several of those calls were made to cell phones and required you to pay a fee and get all uppity about it.

Yup, it's easy to give "local" calls for free, if there are next to no other people in your local area. Defining these local segments small enough they can next to always charge you. In europe, cell network covering whole country is considered as a local area, and some countries even limit the network transfer fees, so all calls even between operators can be considered as local calls.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Actually, there are many wireless carriers in the world who do exactly what you claim none will do: not charge you when you receive a call, or an SMS, from another person. In fact, this is standard in most of Europe: when someone calls a wireless number, the person who places the call is charged the normal rate for calling to that area, plus a wireless surcharge (usually about $0.04 per minute). The person who receives the call on their wireless pays absolutely nothing.

This is why, in many parts of the world, even relatively poor persons have mobile phones. They simply buy a phone with a very small pre-paid account balance (you can get a decent, basic Siemens phone with approx. $5 of credit for as little $20 in France or Germany, for example), and then use the phone primarily to receive calls, which costs them nothing. The same is true for SMS messages; no charge to receive in many cases.

My friends and colleagues in Europe are always appalled when they find out that mobile users in the U.S. have to pay for both calls made and calls received.

Well, when iPhone goes on sale in Europe, you will have a lot to talk about. But for now, it is going on sale in the USA and with At&t. So go ahead and check your bill...
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Ahemmmmmmm....

I get unlimited incoming SMS messages from any carrier in North America and unlimited outgoing SMS messages to anyone using my carrier and about 3 other carriers for $10 per month, on my cell phone. Any other carriers outside of those 3, in Canada, cost .15 per message. When I get a message from those people, I do not get charged.

I get a detailed bill, and a count of all incoming messages, with the charge beside it... $0.00

I do not have a data plan... just a voice plan with a $10 text plan added.

FYI.

Edit: I see others have responded noting the same fee structure, including free incoming call on the cell phone. Why would you pay for a call that you didn't make? I guess because you live somewhere where you have no other choice due to the cellular provider you have to use.

Ahemmmmm...

As I am sure that you know, the iPhone is with At&t. Obviously not your carrier. I may have been mistaken when I said the world but I do know the info currently with At&t. Also, you pay for unlimited messages... Which means that you dont have a limit. So I guess that you wouldnt pay any message overages, would you?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:

Thanks, but I just rechecked my bill. Every single one of last month's text messages says "Out" in the "In/Out" column. So to me it definitely looks like I pay only for *outgoing* text messages.

Well... To me, it just looks like you have no friends to respond to your messages. If there is an IN/OUT column... Would it not make sense for there to be IN messages. Get someone to reply to one of your text messages and you will likely see what I am talking about.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Ahemmmmm...

As I am sure that you know, the iPhone is with At&t. Obviously not your carrier. I may have been mistaken when I said the world but I do know the info currently with At&t. Also, you pay for unlimited messages... Which means that you dont have a limit. So I guess that you wouldnt pay any message overages, would you?

I am with AT&T and I do not have unlimited text messaging. I have a limit of 300 text messages per month. My bill says that I have 136 messages used last month. All of them outgoing. However, I know for a fact that I received about as many incoming messages. And not all of them were from other AT&T customers.

AT&T obviously has different plans.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    josip19josip19 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

I think that you should re-check your bill. If you look closely, the sms messages are numbered and alongside them, it says incoming or outgoing. All of these messages add up on your bill and then are counted together. There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages. That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call. Use common sense and think about the fact that they will charge you every cent that they can. I have been with Cingular, now At&t, for over 7 years. Many, many times, I have gone over on my sms messages because of my incoming messages and I got charged the usual $.10/message overage.

Actually, in many, if not all, European countries only the person MAKING the call is charged. I get calls from the US on my European SIM card and talk as much as I want and it costs me nothing!

As for messaging I'm not sure if I get charged or not for incoming when I'm there...
  • Reply 52 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atxz06 View Post

So, can anyone recommend a solid third party mobile phone insurer? Did a quick google search and came up empty except for one european provider.

Thanks

add it to your home owners/rent insurance as you would a laptop

one would be insain to insure this as the minute there is a rev b, suddenly half of the policy holders have some "bad iPhone luck"
  • Reply 53 of 56
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

They are talking about corprate pools: companies have what ammounts to a gigantic "family plan" where they have x minutes, Y SMS and Z MB of data to be shared by all users (could be from 10 to 1000+ users) and because companies pay by the meg, they can't do the unlimited data plans.

And in the case of the iPhone, it also means 10 to 1000+ iTunes accounts that the company has to set up for the users.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    www.safeware.com

They will cover just about any mobile technology device... And in many cases accessories and such. I have never used them for a smart phone because I usually get insurance through my carrier. But they have replaced two laptops for me in the past (both apples) one for theft and one for accidental damage. They are fast (as insurance goes) and fair (they base their estimates off of fair replacement value or provide a like for like replacement)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by silly34 View Post

Anyone know of a 3rd party that offers insurance on phones??

• Reply 55 of 56
    How much did they quote you for the laptops?

Sounds pretty cool...
  • Reply 56 of 56
    josiejosie Posts: 1member
    Quote:

WHAT!? Are you seriously suggesting they've tricked you americans to paying when others call YOU? I actually don't know wether to be most chocked about that the companies have pulled this off with you, or that I've actually never heard of it before.

Yeah, I'm writing from Sweden (Europe). We do not pay when others call us, and we never pay for incoming text messages. Not even when abroad. Not even when visiting the US with our swedish phones. There is not ONE swedish company that does that. Not one.