AT&T posts iPhone FAQ, says it won't offer wireless insurance

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T, the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States, has posted a frequently asked questions list ahead of Friday's formal roll-out, indicating that it will not offer wireless insurance for the Apple handset, among other things.

AT&T does say it will provide 14-day return policy with 10 percent restocking fee, but the Apple device must be returned to the original point of purchase. If the iPhone is returned unopened, there will be no restocking fee.

For your convenience, the entire AT&T iPhone FAQ is mirrored below:

General

Q. Where can I buy iPhone?

A. iPhone is available atÂ*AT&T stores, Apple stores and online at apple.com. Find an AT&T store that sells iPhone now.

Q. How much does iPhone cost?

A. There are currently two versions of iPhone available. $499 for the 4GB model and $599 for the 8 GB model. Both prices require a 2-year service agreement.

Q. Is iPhone eligible for Wireless Phone Insurance?

A. No. iPhone is ineligible for the Wireless Phone Insurance program offered to AT&T customers.Â*iPhone is covered by the Apple Warranty. If you have Wireless Phone Insurance from AT&T, it will be removed from your line of service.

Q. Are business customers eligible for discounts?

A. No. iPhone service is available only to consumer accounts. iPhone and associated wireless service are not eligible for corporate discounts.

Activation

Q. How do I activate iPhone?

A. You activate iPhone in a whole new wayÂ?using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address.

The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. ItÂ?s part of activating through iTunes, but if youÂ?d rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that.

You will also select an available plan during activation.

Q. Does iPhone work out of the box?

A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

Q. How long does it take to activate iPhone?

A. Most activations should happen within a few minutes of selecting your plan. If there are any questions around your account status or credit, there may be delays in activation.

Existing Customer Questions

Q. How do I upgrade to iPhone?

A. Just go to an AT&T retail store, and mention you're replacing your existing phone. Our salespeople will help you through the process and answer any questions you have.

Soon you'll be able to upgrade through myWireless online.

Q. Do I need to switch to a different rate plan if I upgrade to iPhone?

A. If youÂ?re an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer, you just need to add an iPhone Data Plan. (This may replace your current data plan. Your voice plan will stay the same) The iPhone Data Plan gives you Visual Voicemail, as well as Unlimited DataÂ?includes both email and webÂ?and texting, all for as little as $20. You'll add an iPhone Data Plan during the activation process.

Q. Can I add iPhone to a FamilyTalk plan?

A. Yes. Just go to an AT&T retail store, and mention you'd like to add a line to an existing account.

Q. Do I need to switch to a different FamilyTalk rate plan if I want to add iPhone?

A. No. You might want to upgrade your minutes since you are adding an additional line.

Q. I just upgraded my phone recently. Are there any penalties or restrictions for upgrading to iPhone right away?

A. No. Everyone can upgrade to iPhone right away.

Q. What if I currently have a GoPhone?

A. You will need to activate iPhone on a new account with a new phone number.

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?

A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

Billing

Q. Will I be billed from both companies?

A. Wireless service will be billed from AT&T. Additional content purchases from iTunes such as music, videos, and movies will be billed from iTunes, similar to today.

Q. Are there any differences from your normal billing procedures?

A. No. There are no differences on your monthly bill.

Return Policy

Q. Do you have a special return policy for iPhones?

A. Yes. Apple branded equipment is covered by a 14-day return policy and must be returned to the original point of purchase. If the Apple branded equipment is returned unopened and in the original shrink wrapping, it will be refunded back to the original payment method. Opened Apple branded equipment that is returned within 14 days will be subject to a 10% open box restocking fee. All products must be packed in their original, unmarked packaging including any accessories and manuals that shipped with the product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Q. After I activate the iPhone, can I pay the $175 ETF and just have a kick-ass iPod and internet device?

A. (crickets chirping)
  • Reply 2 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Q. After I activate the iPhone, can I pay the $175 ETF and just have a kick-ass iPod and internet device?

A. (crickets chirping)

That really is the big question here. I'm sure plenty of non ATT customers wouldn't mind spending the extra $175 if they could end up with an iPhone minus the phone and keep their existing non-ATT phone line.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    I usually don't like to do this, but since it's in the headline for all to see: "insurance" only has one "s"
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Am I reading this right that for existing ATT customers it is just an upgrade and we don't have to do the whole credit check stuff?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    You sir are correct. All you have to do is add the iPhone 20 data plan to your exsisting plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

Am I reading this right that for existing ATT customers it is just an upgrade and we don't have to do the whole credit check stuff?

• Reply 6 of 56
    No insurance. Doest this mean I have to buy applecare for my iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    jkovachjkovach Posts: 18member

A. No. iPhone service is available only to consumer accounts. iPhone and associated wireless service are not eligible for corporate discounts.

According to my local store, the $20 data portion is not eligible for a corporate discount, but the voice portion of the service is. The pricing by AT&T is just rolling together their standard rate plans with the $20 data adder. So for a $100 plan, the true cost is $80*0.85 (for 15% discount) + $20 = $88.

You have to have your Foundation # and some form of business ID (card, etc.).
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Does anyone know if incoming text messages count against your monthly amount? On TMobile I have to get the unlimited plan since I send and receive more than 1000 and they charge you for incoming. Wondering if I could get away with $10 for 1500 texts on at&t or if I'd have to spend the $20 and get unlimited.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

According to my local store, the $20 data portion is not eligible for a corporate discount, but the voice portion of the service is. The pricing by AT&T is just rolling together their standard rate plans with the $20 data adder. So for a $100 plan, the true cost is $80*0.85 (for 15% discount) + $20 = $88.

You have to have your Foundation # and some form of business ID (card, etc.).

They are talking about corprate pools: companies have what ammounts to a gigantic "family plan" where they have x minutes, Y SMS and Z MB of data to be shared by all users (could be from 10 to 1000+ users) and because companies pay by the meg, they can't do the unlimited data plans.

Joe-stand-alone-web-designer will be able to get his iPhone with no problem.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    farshadfarshad Posts: 15member
    Q. How do I upgrade to iPhone?

A. Just go to an AT&T retail store, and mention you're replacing your existing phone. Our salespeople will help you through the process and answer any questions you have.

SO i cant buy one at a apple store ?!??!

Or are they saying this incase you have credit built up to buy a iphone ? I dont and dont want to wait @ at a ATT store to find out they are out of stock. Too much room for BS at a ATT store.

Why cant I buy it at a Apple Store
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Bad deal on not offering insurance. AppleCare won't cover loss or damage. Anyone know of a 3rd party that offers insurance on phones?? (I'm still going to get one though)

B.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

That really is the big question here. I'm sure plenty of non ATT customers wouldn't mind spending the extra $175 if they could end up with an iPhone minus the phone and keep their existing non-ATT phone line.

Really? You think a lot of people would pay $775 for an 8 GB iPod?

Why not just wait until the next gen iPod comes out, probably in the fall? Most likely it will come in larger capacities and be far less expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emdeesee View Post

Does anyone know if incoming text messages count against your monthly amount? On TMobile I have to get the unlimited plan since I send and receive more than 1000 and they charge you for incoming. Wondering if I could get away with $10 for 1500 texts on at&t or if I'd have to spend the $20 and get unlimited.

Everyone gets 200 along with the Data Plan. 1500 SMS is $10 more/mo.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emdeesee View Post

I've been with AT&T for years and I have never had INCOMING text messages count against my limit.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silly34 View Post

Bad deal on not offering insurance. AppleCare won't cover loss or damage. Anyone know of a 3rd party that offers insurance on phones?? (I'm still going to get one though)

B.

This is common with smart phones. People drop them too often, and they're too expensive to replace. It doesn't make good business sense to insure such devices at the usual carrier rates.

You may find a third party that will do it, but expect to pay quite a bit monthly.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?

So, how do you transfer all of those phone numbers from the old phone to the new? Isn't that the point of a sim card?
  • Reply 17 of 56
  • Reply 18 of 56
    This is true. If you call in and tell them your phone isn't working correctly, they ask has it been dropped or any water damage. If not, then it's free to get a new one. But I've had my smartphone replaced twice for free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

This is common with smart phones. People drop them too often, and they're too expensive to replace. It doesn't make good business sense to insure such devices at the usual carrier rates.

You may find a third party that will do it, but expect to pay quite a bit monthly.

• Reply 19 of 56
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Q: Does the Q&A format remind me of the way Dwight Schrute talks?

A: Yes, it does.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Maybe some insurance agent would provide a rider on your homeowners/renters plan for the iPhone?