Steve Jobs has bet the farm on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster... I invested in T, AAPL and more recently CLWR with just this scenario in mind.

I'm looking into clearwire this weekend.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    [QUOTE=THT;1105041]I

So, all I'd do is dock the hand held computer to a 24 inch monitor with keyboard and mouse or a laptop cradle with 15" monitor and keyboard & trackpad, and away I go. (There could be the wireless dock option too). Perhaps the caveat is the need for terabytes of storage presuming I have a video library, but that could come with the TV or your home data server.

So, this is where the iPhone (and AppleTV) comes in. In 2010, when the iPhone has a few 1 GHz processors and 64 GB of flash (or 250 GB of disk if Apple intends to make a disk based one) operating over 50+ Mbit/s WiMAX, will you really need to have a separate computer?

If the answer is no, then you have to ask the same question in the business world full of cubicle farms. If you have your work computer/cell phone with you 24/7, I'm sure the managers won't mind. Heck, they may even be doing something Green by letting you telecommute more often as long as you are still productive, wherever you may be. If that answer is no, than oh boy.

/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly agree with you. I don't carry a laptop from home to work or vice versa anymore. I have a 4 GB USB drive and that is more than sufficient for what I need now. Although syncing is a minor problem, I would still like to avoid it. I'd love to have a hand-held computer that could do what my desktop is capable of. I could have a docking station (with a display and keyboard) in several areas of my home and at work. what a timesaver, space saver, and $ saver that would be. NO duplication.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have an iPhone, and all I can say is the nay-sayers had me paranoid at the last minute (about the speed of edge and stuff) but truthfully Mine is working just as good, if not better than the ones SJ had hooked up to wires in the first keynote. This thing is fast IMO, and.. Well actually quite a bit faster than I thought it would be. It has not been over hyped as I though it was before I bought it, but now that I'm using it and playing with it.. It's getting the hype it deserves.

I have not found a thing about it that is a negative yet.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

This thing is fast IMO, and.. Well actually quite a bit faster than I thought it would be. . . .

It may be running off WiFi in your area. The menu bar at top should show the WiFi icon if it is. I've been using an iPhone this afternoon and it is amazing. It's not mine, but belongs to my son. It does so much, and looks so good.

• Reply 25 of 45
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    Quote:

I have an iPhone, and all I can say is the nay-sayers had me paranoid at the last minute (about the speed of edge and stuff) but truthfully Mine is working just as good, if not better than the ones SJ had hooked up to wires in the first keynote. This thing is fast IMO, and.. Well actually quite a bit faster than I thought it would be. It has not been over hyped as I though it was before I bought it, but now that I'm using it and playing with it.. It's getting the hype it deserves.

Played with it for about half an hour today. I've got some significant barriers for purchasing it, and can't get it now, but maybe in 6 months.

After a half hour of playing with it, it was like when I was walking out of the theater after watching the first Matrix movie. A little bit of euphoria. It's a science fiction device come true. Websites were easily readable. Youtube was credible. Gmaps was cool. I did everything over EDGE. msnbc.com was easily readable with zooming and panning gestures. macsurfer.com was actually readable without any zooming!

iPod functionality is tremendous. Videos, photos and music were worth the price of the device itself. Phone calling seem crisp and clear.

The UI was fun to use.

Quote:

Oh, there are always negative things.

1. It can get a little toasty.

2. It's restricted to its core functionality only. Ie, it's not a computer yet. It's just a high feature cell phone/iPod/internet communicator for now.

3. The calculator UI is poor in both art (it should be using the keyboard look-n-feel) and implementation (no scientific as far as I can see).

4. The keyboard landscape mode is only used in Safari. It should be as widely used as possible.

5. There needs to be a disk-based version with 80+ GB of memory.

The EDGE concerns are overblown though. Web-browsing on it seem perfectly fine.

The key is the "not a computer yet." With enough work and time, Apple can make this a real live personal capable of replacing my personal computer. That'll be a big day.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

.........I don't know about you guys, but personal computers have more computing power then 95% of the market's needs. Most especially the consumer market. The usage model for today's users is Internet stuff, and we have ample horsepower for that. Even gamers seem satiated. The hardware vendors seem desperate for MS to make Windows slower so that there is a good reason to upgrade! I mean, were most people really excited to see the Mac Pro go from a 2-socket 4-core 2.66 GHz machine to a 2-socket 8-core 3 GHz machine? Were people excited about the MacBook upgrades? Really, if the MacBook goes from 2 GHz to 2.4 GHz, I don't think it'll make people very excited anymore. It seems that a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo will serve the needs of 95% of the users out there. That's just not good news to PC makers.........

Sorry for butchering out a section of your whole post THT, but It's not our fault Apple did a mere processor drop in update on the Mac-Pro. I could give a crap about those other products, but I'm a Mac Pro user, and that whole computer needed an update. They need to get with the program.

The lack of the equal speed in Graphics vs. a PC alone would have at least probably gotten me to buy one, but here I am waiting again because Apple tries to squeeze every cent from outdated technology, and never seems to release their Flag Ship (Mac-Pro) with the features people are expecting. PC's have things for 4 years before wee see it. Graphics is the.. well hell SLI is the perfect example of that, and not only that, then they don't use the drivers that work properly with the Quadro. It's a Quadro running on a freaking Geforce driver. Whooo Haaa for 3D apps.

Power, and feature wise the Mac Pro is like a Minor League team playing on a big league field vs. the All Star team. It's a freaking slaughter out there.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

I read all the pro-iPhone hype articles. I read all the negative articles by mainstream tech writers. And, I read all the negative posts on this forum like--it doesn't have a 1 gigawatt laser!?! What was Apple thinking? Or, yeah, the feature set is OK but it's not as good as Spock's Tricofder.

After abouy 8 hours of on and off use, here's my assesment:

* It took me all of 5 minute to Sync & Activate rhe device ( I read the manual first and I watched the Apple site videos).

* This device is drop-dead gorgeous.

* It is easy to use; most functions are accomplished intuitively, i.e. typical Apple functionality

* The multi-touch features are indeed revolutionairy on a mobile device

* The Web experience is off the charts even with EDGE. The pages are so clear and readable.

* Using WiFi , browsing and web site reading are easy, fast & pleasureable experiences (I know some Crackberry addicts who are going to have a serious case of P-envy).

* The typing is geting better by the hour. As the web tutorial says, trust the software. The learning curve is exponential if you read the directions.

* I watched 1 episode of The Shield and 2 fantastic YouTube videos (Evolution of Dance & Paul Sings Nessum Dorma--you gotta go see these 2)--the video clarity and resolution on a mobile phone are breathtaking.

* I listened to music and 1 chapter of "The Tipping Point" (very relevant for this device)

* Reading text email is a snap. Text is clear, scrolling through lists is simple

* Making and receiving calls are as exactly as advertized on the Guided tour

I could go on and on but I'll stop. I'm in lust.

This is a major home run for AAPL. A Mega blockbuster.

As word spreads and the public gets to see the device in the hands of their friends or in their own at stores, an epidemic of iPhone buying (similiar to the Nintendo Wii) in the US is not impossible.

The fact that the v1 feature set can be upgraded by software is also exciting and just one more plus on top of so many others.

The nay-sayers will have to grasp at straws to continue to knock this v1 device. I expect that they will anyway.

The CNBC cutsy boys and girls (who still insist on having idiots like John Dvorak on as guest "Tech Experts") will try their best on Monday to point out its flaws (no laser, not a tricorder, EDGE sucks! ) but this will be a tough bill of goods for them to sell as time goes by.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Maybe Apple have got some inside Info on Google deploying WiFi/WiMAX across the US?

The cloud is coming
  • Reply 29 of 45
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm with Ireland on the future of Touch screens.

however there are a large number of computers users who don't have the imagination to believe that they don't need an antiquated keyboard to provide data entry.

We've grown to know keyboards over the last 20/30 years. Children born today will never get that attachment and the keyboard will soon be as novel as the dial telephone is to us.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Remember, guys, it is not that far off that computers will have sufficient computing complexity and power to simulate the human brain... by 2025 or 2045 (if I recall correctly). Once you can speak and gesture to your digital assistant simulacrum and it correctly interprets your wishes, we will truly have entered the Cyborg Age.

That was a bullshit comparison/prediction. The fact we will be able to theoretically stuff enough transistors into the same gymnasium sized facility doesn't begin to give us the proper feel and theory of how to parallelize COMPLETELY in hardware. We have already passed the futurists predictive thresholds of having enough something to simulate the brain twice. Just because Kurzweil put out the latest date prediction doesn't make it any more likely. Those futurists just keep re-jiggering their predictions in hope that eventually one of them will be close enough to be able to cash in on it.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That was a bullshit comparison/prediction. The fact we will be able to theoretically stuff enough transistors into the same gymnasium sized facility doesn't begin to give us the proper feel and theory of how to parallelize COMPLETELY in hardware. We have already passed the futurists predictive thresholds of having enough something to simulate the brain twice. Just because Kurzweil put out the latest date prediction doesn't make it any more likely. Those futurists just keep re-jiggering their predictions in hope that eventually one of them will be close enough to be able to cash in on it.

Kurzweil is more optimistic than I tend to be about these things, however, his projections align with Moore's Law and I believe there is solid reasoning in this theory. It may be that true Artificial Intelligence is a pipe dream, or it may require duplicating the whole 'person', not just the brain in order to sufficiently create independent intelligent humanoid non-humans.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Intel's Silverthorne is coming in 2008, an x86 processor for handhelds, and they consider it the most important Intel processor release since the Pentium. It will provide enough horsepower for 95% of the market needs in 3 years or so when it is on 32 nm.

I would imagine so, since ARM has been acting quickly to command the low-power multimedia space with the Cortex, on top of the fact that ARM owns this space, currently. Intel's business model, at the moment, doesn't work for mobile devices. For silverthorne to be a success, Intel will have to adopt new policies, particularly in regard to technology licensing, because the mobile device market is inherently not accessible to commodity OEM strategies. Unless Intel opens up its 32nm fab and has facilities for partners to design SoCs on top of this core, Silverthorne will be another pile of ash in the long history of high-tech.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    1.Before Steve came back to Apple did they not publish a few short films about how Apple was going to create over time a life like personal computer out of a Newton?

2. In the end is the iPhone and the iPod for that matter the Steve Jobs RDF of the Newton Division? I do agree Apple is on the cutting edge here of this new hand held computing and they need to move fast.

3. OS 11 first mobile only computer OS? Five more .0 revisions is 10-12 years away! Think about it.

4. Speaking of moving fast, how difficult would it be realistically for Apple to scale this solution up from 3.5" to say 10/12 running REAL OSX 10.5 with like a Core 2 Low Voltage or something?

5. When will iChat go Windows like our beloved Safari?

6. Final I know its 1AM here. If this thing can run MS Office for Mac by Xmas and the Euro's are finally signed up umm when will Apple's market cap reach M$'s? The're are more than a third the way now???
  • Reply 34 of 45
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

In 3 or 4 years, I don't think I'd be needing a more powerful personal computer than what I could get today.

This type of thing is said far too often.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    My uncle tells me that in the early 80's a company called Winchester (sic?) came out with a 5.25" full form factor 10 Mb (thats megabyte!) drive. He plainly remembers people scoffing, saying "What will we ever need a 10 Mb drive for on a desktop? That's more capacity than we could ever use!"
  • Reply 36 of 45
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

. . . there are a large number of computers users who don't have the imagination to believe that they don't need an antiquated keyboard to provide data entry.

We've grown to know keyboards over the last 20/30 years. Children born today will never get that attachment and the keyboard will soon be as novel as the dial telephone is to us.

Ridiculous. Try typing a 200 page manuscript on a touch screen. Also, can you do data entry without looking at the screen?

Voice recognition is the only practical replacement of the keyboard for an author, but has anyone invented voice data entry for a spread sheet?

Maybe when computers can read our minds we can replace the keyboard.

• Reply 37 of 45
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Ridiculous. Try typing a 200 page manuscript on a touch screen. Also, can you do data entry without looking at the screen?

Voice recognition is the only practical replacement of the keyboard for an author, but has anyone invented voice data entry for a spread sheet?

Why do people always limit the future to what they have always known in the past?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

It's true. On wed I'm doing a presentation/training session in Olympia WA for some Healthcare professionals on voice recognition. This scenario always plays out.

1. Explain the basics of voice recog and command and control.

2. Dictate a paragraph including medical terminology and pharmaceutical brands.

3. Watch their jaws drop.

Or how about our clients that are blind/low vision? Show me a surface technology that is going to allow a BLV patient or someone without arms to compute. I could set you up with a system where you could compute in the dark hands free.

I agree with THT on this

The evolution of the iPhone could very well incorporate an external link to a larger monitor, larger hard drives, and hopefully voice recognition and command and control.

Your life...in your pocket.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You need to think of future computers as assistants. You will instruct them what you want done, and they will simply do it and keep you updated. The power of the computer/communications is to leverage the power of the individual. Where it used to be that if you wanted something done, you had to do it yourself, but the new paradigm will be: If you want something done, delegate it to your Apple PA™ (with the power of thousands of professionals at your fingertips).
  • Reply 40 of 45
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPhone will become a computer once you can connect iPhone to a screen and becomes full fledged computer. Technology is not there yet. Hope intel 32nm can bring the power and battery life.

some random thoughts

LCD screen with dock (iPhone or iPod)

LCD screen with GPU (GPU power is based on the size of the LCD screen 22/24/30")

LCD Screen with touch screen capability.

iPhone+LCD Screen + Keyboard + Mice +touch screen = full blown computer

just iPhone = mobile computer

am i smoking here