What silly little features need improved in OSX?

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 68
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Sometimes you want to Google search from Safari and get the results in a new tab, sometimes you want them in the same tab. You decide the same way you do while opening links: pressing cmd while clicking or pressing enter in the searchbox opens in new tab - no cmd, same tab. Changing that to be opposite when searching would be unintuitive.



    Of course it would be nice if you could drag and drop to the search window - though I haven't ever noticed that this is not possible. It would also be good if the context menu "Search in Google" would obey cmd. AcidSearch, the search plugin I use in place of the vanilla search, does obey cmd even in the context menu. You see the context menu item change from Acidsearch > ... to AcidSearch (In New Tab) > ...
  • Reply 62 of 68
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Heh - the workaround to no "Go" button is to right-click and choose "Reload" after pasting the URL or the search string into the field. Works great.



    If a web page has a text string like "www.yahoo.com", you can highlight it and right-click, but Safari won't recognize it as a URL unless it has the "http" prefix, which most don't. This is a total pain in the ass, as you have to then choose Google search, then click the URL there. The workaround is to copy it, paste into the address bar, and then right click and choose "Reload."
  • Reply 63 of 68
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    Heh - the workaround to no "Go" button is to right-click and choose "Reload" after pasting the URL or the search string into the field. Works great.



    Or just hit Return...



    Quote:

    If a web page has a text string like "www.yahoo.com", you can highlight it and right-click, but Safari won't recognize it as a URL unless it has the "http" prefix, which most don't. This is a total pain in the ass, as you have to then choose Google search, then click the URL there. The workaround is to copy it, paste into the address bar, and then right click and choose "Reload."



    Or just hit Return...



    Aiaiaiaiaiaiaia. Cmd-C, Cmd-L, Cmd-V, Return.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    If a web page has a text string like "www.yahoo.com", you can highlight it and right-click, but Safari won't recognize it as a URL unless it has the "http" prefix, which most don't. This is a total pain in the ass, as you have to then choose Google search, then click the URL there. The workaround is to copy it, paste into the address bar, and then right click and choose "Reload."



    Yeah that bugs me too.



    I'd also like to see a little intelligent error checking in the URL field too; obviously I didn't mean to type apple/con but if Safari recognised that if bbc.co.ul isn't a valid site and that bbc.co.uk was much more likely to be what I'm after that would be smashing.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    The analog clock in the menu bar needs to be a little easier to see.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    I'd like to see improved 'help' pages. And that is hard to find sometimes because you don't know 'exactly' what you are trying to do, so the search is fairly useless, but if one had a large list of subcategories in a pdf-like layout it would be easier to navigate and find things.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Just thought to revive this thread in anticipation of Leopard with some pet peeves of mine I hope the new cat will solve.



    1. Finder tends to open disk images in 'mini mode' so you can't immediately drag the app you want to install to your apps folder but have to click the top right button first. Why o why does it do this???



    2. Why o why can't I deminimize a window with a keyboard shortcut?? I do as much as possible in osX with both hands on my keyboard and needing to grab the mouse just for de-minimizing bugs me big time.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post


    2. Why o why can't I deminimize a window with a keyboard shortcut?? I do as much as possible in osX with both hands on my keyboard and needing to grab the mouse just for de-minimizing bugs me big time.



    How would it know which window to de-minimize?



    I'd actually most like it if Expose-"All Windows" included minimized windows. Which would achieve a similar thing in a couple of keystrokes.
Sign In or Register to comment.