Mac Pro Update ?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I'd like the chance to toss an nVidia GeForce 8800 in there. And a reasonably priced one at that. I'm sick of, say, a $125 graphics card costing me $350 because someone spent five minutes flashing the firmware for a Mac.

A BIOS modification lets you put a 7900GTX in a Mac Pro.

• Reply 22 of 68
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

A BIOS modification lets you put a 7900GTX in a Mac Pro.

I'll assume you mean EFI firmware, since there's no BIOS in a Mac.

In any case, it's not the Mac that is at fault, it's the fact that the graphics card is flashed for a PC. Some cards can be easily flashed for a Mac, but others can't. And so far, I don't believe nVidia is making 8800's for the Mac.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:

I'll assume you mean EFI firmware, since there's no BIOS in a Mac.

In any case, it's not the Mac that is at fault, it's the fact that the graphics card is flashed for a PC. Some cards can be easily flashed for a Mac, but others can't. And so far, I don't believe nVidia is making 8800's for the Mac.

No, actually the GPU BIOS edit+NVInject=7900GTX in a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

I didn't say I would. We're just using ancient native american tracking methods to determine where the Mac Pro is going.

That's the spirit! Finding the flaws in the distribution system is like locating the pellet of an owl. One can at least learn what the bird is feeding on.

On topic, I really would like to know what is likely to happen in the. I am considering joining the ADC and would hate to spend my assets on a machine about to be replaced. In this I fully agree with fixmdude when he said:

Quote:

Hmmm... I would think that the customers most likely to buy the biggest and best machine out there (the pro line) might also be the least likely people to be "patient" about buying a newer computer. That's a dillema. But I do like the thought of an 8 core instead of a quad core. Software is so far behind in being able to properly utilize 8 cores that I'd be well set for a good while.

Would it just be smart to go whole hog or hold out until September on the MacPro thing?.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:

I just have one question...

Why in God's name would you purchase a Mac from Best Buy? Hell, I won't buy ANY computer from Best Buy.

Because you can get help from the Geeksquad...

• Reply 26 of 68
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

The UK site is showing ready to ship in 24 hours for me.

I've been waiting on new hardware all year (I mean REALLY new enough to make me spend) not this incremental stuff we've had to put up with.

Incremental like moving from G5 to Intel Core? Not that Apple should rest on its laurels but other than speed bumps what has Intel put out that drives a massive change?

Santa Rosa? Sure but that's really an incremental improvement except for the GMA X3100 part.

Quad core Penryn would be a nice bump across the board that would be a slight jump above incremental (depends on SSE 4 I guess how big a jump) but really with the Core 2 out we're looking at process shrinks and speed bumps. 45nm is a nice jump but also incremental...not like Pentium 4 to Core 2 (SSE4 not withstanding...which has at least one nice op for HD codecs).

Its not like Apple is ignoring a whole new processor category yet. While slow with Santa Rosa without 802.16 (WiMAX) the new chipset is somewhat more incremental (again except for the GMA X3100 which I wish Apple WOULD hurry up and stick on the MB and Mini but doesn't impact the iMac) than was originially envisioned IMHO...not that WiMAX itself isn't still horizonish as opposed to here. Montevina is soon enough I would think.

On the Mac Pro side there's been...Cloverton. Next up Tigerton with Clarksboro/Caneland. Until Caneland with 4 processor support what isn't just a incremental/speed bump release for the Mac Pro?

16 cores to start...then Dunnington with the rumored 6 cores for 24 and Harpertown with 8 for 32. We'll see how Nehalem pans out.

Really, 45mn isn't that far away and for the Mac Pro the next major change is going 4-way. A box update before doing that isn't needed and that empty space we see in the box today (which could be used for a smaller form factor) is going to get used up.

Vinea
  • Reply 27 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    If one isn't impressed with today's Mac Pro they have pretty much no choice but to wait for Penryn late this year.

While it won't represent a significant core change it does offer a nice bump.

1.6Ghz FSB

SSE4 with new instructions

Radix 16 divider

Improved Snoop filter and 4-core cache coherence

Improved hardware virtualization

Those looking for a larger leap will have to wait over a year for Nehalem.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    I would also like to know will there be a major upgrade of Mac Pro till March 2008, I plan to buy a new workstation in March and I think will have not more than 4000 usd for all including 23" monitor, in other words something near 3200 on actual hardware.

I also have a question - is there anyone using up to date Mac Pro (i mean Xeon quad core)running windows + something like Modo or 3DsMax, how is the productivity? productivity in 3DMAX is very important....
  • Reply 29 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I'd like the chance to toss an nVidia GeForce 8800 in there. And a reasonably priced one at that. I'm sick of, say, a $125 graphics card costing me $350 because someone spent five minutes flashing the firmware for a Mac.

Your not kidding. I'd like to throw a GeForce 8800, Geforce 7900GX2, Quadro® FX 4500 X2, or Quadro FX 5600, but Apple went with EFI. They should sell EFI from their site, but support both EFI, and BIOS in their firmware so we can upgrade if we feel we need it. We are really suffering in graphics on the Mac side. I thought the switch to intel would resolve that, but we are still in the same boat.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    takemuratakemura Posts: 58member
    But, remember the keynote, next spring Mac will have new games (probably DX10) from ID and many others for Mac and that should mean a necessity to give people up-to-date choice of graphic cards available, hope however that that wouldn't be only gaming cards, need new quadro fx/ fire gl cards with dx10 , shader model 4.0 support....
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by takemura View Post

But, remember the keynote, next spring Mac will have new games (probably DX10) from ID and many others for Mac and that should mean a necessity to give people up-to-date choice of graphic cards available, hope however that that wouldn't be only gaming cards, need new quadro fx/ fire gl cards with dx10 , shader model 4.0 support....

What makes you think Apple would use DX10? They have put a lot of weight behind the revamp of OGL.

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsi...l_serious.html
  • Reply 32 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I still stand by the hypothesis that Leopard will usher in the newer card choices.

Apple using LLVM in Leopard for OpenGL stack

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Lattner

For those who are interested, Apple announced that they are using the LLVM

optimizer and JIT within their Mac OS 10.5 'Leopard' OpenGL stack (which

was distributed in beta form to WWDC attendees).

LLVM is used in two different ways, at runtime:

1. Runtime code specialization within the fixed-function vertex-processing

pipeline. Basically, the OpenGL pipeline has many parameters (is fog

enabled? do vertices have texture info? etc) which rarely change:

executing the fully branchy code swamps the branch predictors and

performs poorly. To solve this, the code is precompiled to LLVM .bc

form, from which specializations of the code are made, optimized,

and JIT compiled as they are needed at runtime.

2. OpenGL vertex shaders are small programs written using a family of

programming langauges with highly domain-specific features (e.g. dot

product, texture lookup, etc). At runtime, the OpenGL stack translates

vertex programs into LLVM form, runs LLVM optimizer passes and then JIT

compiles the code.

Both of these approaches make heavy use of manually vectorized code using

SSE/Altivec intrinsics, and they use the LLVM x86-32/x86-64/ppc/ppc64

targets. LLVM replaces existing special purpose JIT compilers built by

the OpenGL team.

LLVM is currently used when hardware support is disabled or when the

current hardware does not support a feature requested by the user app.

This happens most often on low-end graphics chips (e.g. integrated

graphics), but can happen even with the high-end graphics when advanced

capabilities are used.

Like any good compiler, the only impact that LLVM has on the OpenGL stack

is better performance (there are no user-visible knobs). However, if you

sample a program using shark, you will occasionally see LLVM methods in

the stack traces.

-Chris

This and no OpenGL 2.1 in Tiger may explain why Apple is seemingly laggard on bringing the fastest Nvidia cards to the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    My idea is not a DX10 on Mac but a similar DX10 compatible hardware and games…
  • Reply 34 of 68
    I caved after quite a wait and dropped on a regular config Mac Pro. Dropped in an extra 4gbs of ram and have the internal drive partitioned with XP and run it through Parallels. tbh, I don't know why I waited.

I was considering dropping in a x1900, but I couldn't justify the added price for an older card. The way I figure, a few years from now when the machine starts to feel it's age, I'll have some more vid card and hard drive options.

I haven't run anything too demanding on the machine since I'm just getting it set up, but things are quite quick, especially with the ram. XP in Parallels runs much faster than I expected and it's quite usable. Apps such as the CS3 suite run like a champ.

In my mind, if you don't really need that extra added edge for production, 3D, etc. I can't see waiting.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

My idea is not a DX10 on Mac but a similar DX10 compatible hardware and games?

That would be say: more compatible graphics cards, maybe BIOS enabled? I think that is necessary also. With Boot-Camp, Parallels, and more games coming to the Mac side this year, and next I think the hardware needs to be compatible on both sides. EFI, and BIOS would work in Leopard if I had my way.

I think Apple needs to take a better look at their switchers campaign because many would be switchers just don't come over because of the graphics limitations.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    How do I attach a file to this post? I have a screen shot to show you because PC people might not believe it without seeing it. I am (was?) a PC person and I didn't believe it. I went to HPs educator's website and tried to build a comparable PC, to get a 2.66 core2duo you have to pick the 7000 series desktop. When you get down to the DVD burner option, you have two choices, one DVD burner says "not compatible with Vista" after it, and the other one says "Only compatible with Vista". We have been buying our machines with XP until we have time to test Vista and the get the bugs worked out. This means that if we get XP we will not be able to upgrade the new machines to Vista ever without replacing the new hardware with different new "compatible" parts.

Now here's the odd part: You can load both XP and Vista onto a Mac Pro, you can even load both at the same time. So a Mac is even More compatible with Windows than a new HP PC!
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

How do I attach a file to this post? I have a screen shot to show you because PC people might not believe it without seeing it. I am (was?) a PC person and I didn't believe it. I went to HPs educator's website and tried to build a comparable PC, to get a 2.66 core2duo you have to pick the 7000 series desktop. When you get down to the DVD burner option, you have two choices, one DVD burner says "not compatible with Vista" after it, and the other one says "Only compatible with Vista". We have been buying our machines with XP until we have time to test Vista and the get the bugs worked out. This means that if we get XP we will not be able to upgrade the new machines to Vista ever without replacing the new hardware with different new "compatible" parts.

Now here's the odd part: You can load both XP and Vista onto a Mac Pro, you can even load both at the same time. So a Mac is even More compatible with Windows than a new HP PC!

go to www.imageshack.us and upload the image and then insert it as an image here or just provide a link to it. That is incredibly funny though
  • Reply 38 of 68
    here's the screenshot, click on the pic to enlarge it to make it readable.

http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpdvdsom2.jpg
  • Reply 39 of 68
    It is funny, but it is only about DVD drives, and finally it is about HP, from my point, and I’m a future switcher I guess, but currently working on Asus based workstation, I can say that if you assemble your PC your self from the very beginning you can meet all you needs and dreams, I’m using widows XP x64 which is not the best thing when it comes to drivers, but still I have a pro graphic card, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, DVD-RW, Wacom intous 3, and my favorite software working perfectly. But I still think apple is about the innovation, I love the design, and I think would go for Mac Pro next spring. I hope they will give me the choice of DX10/ shader model 4.0 compatible graphic cards by that time.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

...........I think would go for Mac Pro next spring. I hope they will give me the choice of DX10/ shader model 4.0 compatible graphic cards by that time.

Sure, the cards will be there but DX10 wont be. Not on a Mac. It'll be driven on OpenGL 3.0

OpenGL 3.0 to bring DX10 features to every OS

It could be part of the reason for Leopards Delay. OpenGL 2.x and 3.0 APIs arrive this year