Mac Pro Update ?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I am of the opinion that Apple will not release a new Mac Pro until MWSF.

to long to be at its price points for that long of a wait and the newchip should be out before then.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

I am finding it increasingly difficlt to keep up with the Intel roadmap - thanks for this but not sure I really understand it properly...

Is it possible to do a brief summary of each new processor or chipset, when due & few details - eg 45mn/nos of cores that are likely to find their way into a MP.

I am thinking about getting a new one & this will be helpful!

Many thanks

Some people are indeed very confused about Intel roadmap, and they mix cpu names and platform names, and just take guesses on what could fit into what Mac/computer, even "tech" sites.

Penryn will be the base for new mobile, desktop, workstation and server chips, all of them will have new chipsets too for building new motherboards.

For the Mac Pro, which is a workstation, dual processor, type of computer, Apple choosed to use Xeon cpus and the 5000X series of chipset initially.

Today, they could upgrade it to quad-core cpus (just like the dual-quad-core 3.0GHz that has been already released) with "Clovertown" cpus or the Xeon X5300 series that I mentionned earlier.

Next will be the penryn-based Xeon (late 2007 or early 2008 in Mac Pros) which will be based on a 45nm fabrication process (from todays 65nm process), that will mostly have 4 cores, more cache and will be faster. Rumored/leaked prices and specs for those chips make it probable that Apple would move to the following models:

$2200 dual-quad 2.50GHz

$2499 dual-quad 2.83GHz

$3298 dual-quad 3.00GHz

$3997 dual-quad 3.16GHz

If they keep the same price points and number of models.

Two new chipsets will also be available, in different flavors (that's why somtimes it is also confusing). One will be an upgrade from the current 5000X series called Seaburg (chipset) or Stoakley (platform) which will bring a number of improvements like PCIe 2.0. The other one (San Clemente/Cranberry Lake) will be a lower cost chipset with, for example, cheaper DDR2 RAM support instead of the expansive and power hungry FB-DIMMs (used in current Mac Pros). What Apple will choose to use is still a mystery.

Tigerton with Clarksboro/Caneland are server chips/chipsets/platforms and are unlikely be used on a personal computer (Mac or else). While it would be fun to have 16 or 32 cores working for us in the future, I'd better have today (or tomorrow) a single quad-core cpu computer that is affordable (under $2000).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Apple Expo Paris?

That would be for a Clovertown refresh, which would already be nice, but it may be too much to ask from Apple, and penryn Xeons will start being available a few weeks/a couple of months later. My guess is that AEP will be the new iPods/european iPhone party and that the Mac Pro will have the MWSF spotlight (and if we are lucky, there will be also other announcements...).
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryan fury View Post

yeah , i was checking out how much i paid for ram when i bought a quadra in 1994

16 megs cost me £400

now you can get 4 gigs for that

i did a quick calc and that's £25 per meg in 94 and 10p a meg now !!!

in other words , 4 gigs in 94 would have been ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS !!!!!

Those were still the cheap days. When I took my first computer course at Uni they passed memory around the class in a cup - little magnetic disks that were hand wired. As for programming, we used punch cards and anyone that turned in more than 15 cards got some ugoly looks from the IT guy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I just have one question...

Why in God's name would you purchase a Mac from Best Buy? Hell, I won't buy ANY computer from Best Buy.

It's the other way around. Consumers go to Best Buy to get a computer and all of sudden they have Macs that they can look at for the first time. There is still the traditional problem of sales staff trying to push computers on them that pay a spiff from the OEM, but at lest it is an option that hasn't been around. From the sounds of things the program seems to be working, which is really nice to read.

As for the MacPro, it appears from the above that there are a lot of options for Apple to take, with new processor availability being one key factor. If Paris is out then I would look to a "media event" when Leopard is released - if Apple has something new worth touting. Otherwise I can see MWSF as a great launch platform for new MPs. The question then is the potential for a single quad in a MP mini.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't think any consumer venue (Paris, MWSF) is good for a Mac Pro if its entry-level pricing remains at $2,499. If we're talking $1,499, or even like the big bad days of Mac towers starting at $1,599, then we might be talking...
  • Reply 65 of 68
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would predict the new MacPro around end of October alongside new displays and Leopard.

I agree that Leopard needs to be here in order for us to see the new MacPro.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

They wont use the same expensive Mac Pro case for a semi pro Machine. If Apple decides to jump in with this they will use another motherboard and a different case. THe Mac Pro will remain a the BIG GUN, but this will take on iMac color design to be a cohabitant with the consumer side.

Thats my guess.

Interesting...... this smaller midline tower you describe-- a "headless iMac", if you will, with room for more expansion options without the high cost of the Pro towers:

I don't believe I've ever seen it discussed. What do people think of the idea?

If you need me I'll be very far away.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I would predict the new MacPro around end of October alongside new displays and Leopard.

I agree that Leopard needs to be here in order for us to see the new MacPro.

That scenario is the exception. It seems reasonable, but I still think MWSF is what Apple is shooting for. Processor type and availability was not part of my original prediction, just time between previous updates, but now I've noticed that processor choice for their pro line is a factor. I think it would be best for the Mac Pro line if Apple were to wait, and Apple has never been opposed to letting us wait.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Apple has never been opposed to letting us wait.

Sad but true. I thought that with the transition to Intel, Apple would be more agile in its approach to hardware updates. But it's MOTS. I just don't get it. There's a whole family of processors that Apple is ignoring. WTF?