Is this Macbook right for me?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am currently looking to purchase the 15" Macbook Pro, since I need a laptop for college. Now all I need to know is if the Macbook Pro that I am planning on ordering is right for me.

Here are the specifications:
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

• 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm

• SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

• Apple USB Modem

• AppleCare Protection Plan

• Office 2004 for Mac - Student and Teacher Edition

Here are the things I'll be using it for:
  • School Related- Papers, Powerpoints, etc.

• iTunes- only about 5GB of music, so far.

• Photo Editing- I used to be really into creating LiveJournal/Myspace layouts, as well as messing around with various photo editing techniques. I'd eventually like to upgrade to a DSLR camera and take photography and editing a little further.

• Gaming- The only game is see playing my laptop is The Sims 2.

• Programs- The Macbook Pro comes with quite a few useful applications, so the only programs I can really see downloading/installing are photo editing programs, Mozilla, and a few various programs that I find useful/interesting.

I really hope the Macbook Pro I am choosing with suit my needs, but if you have any recommendations please let me know!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j.rucinski View Post

I am currently looking to purchase the 15" Macbook Pro, since I need a laptop for college. Now all I need to know is if the Macbook Pro that I am planning on ordering is right for me.

Here are the specifications:[LIST][*]2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo!

There really isn't that much of a difference, performance wise, between the 2.2 and 2.4ghz models (with the exception of the better graphics card on the 2.4 model, which might be better for gaming). I would still go for the 2.2 instead.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

There really isn't that much of a difference, performance wise, between the 2.2 and 2.4ghz models (with the exception of the better graphics card on the 2.4 model, which might be better for gaming). I would still go for the 2.2 instead.

Thank you!

Now another question, would it be better for me to get a 160GB 7200-rpm drive or the 200GB 4200-rpm drive.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Now another question, would it be better for me to get a 160GB 7200-rpm drive or the 200GB 4200-rpm drive.

I don't know about the 7200-rpm drive: some think that the faster drive equals better performance, others that it drains battery power faster. In any event, read this thread discussing shipping delays for this drive.

On the other hand, I would stay away from the 4200-rpm drive and if given a choice would pick the faster, 7200 drive.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    just a thought.. maybe pick up iwork while you're at it.. i've found keynote to be much easier to use than powerpoint and pages is really handy for certain things like making fliers.. its good for papers except that endnote doesn't directly work with it.

re: hard drives - stay away from 4200 rpm drives.. if you're not planning on running a bootcamp partition, then 160gigs is probably enough for most things, and then get an external drive for backups and big files like movies, music, etc.

fb
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I got the 2.4 with the standard 160 5400 rpm. And I use bootcamp, only 25gig partition. However, I have 500 GB in externals and my iTunes library is around 180GB. But, I still have about 30 GB left on my internal. One question, why are you getting the usb modem? Are you seriously going to be using dial up on this state of the art computer? I should hope not. Most likely you wont even need the ethernet port as youll be using wifi.... just wondering.

Oh, also, about iWork... its nice but pages is a bit more confusing than word or neooffice in my opinion. Keynote, however is nicer than powerpoint 2004. BUT, if you have the money (or the know-how), get Office 2007 for Windows and hold off on office 2004 for mac and wait till the 2008 comes out. powerpoint on office 2007 is awesome, in my opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

just a thought.. maybe pick up iwork while you're at it.. i've found keynote to be much easier to use than powerpoint and pages is really handy for certain things like making fliers.. its good for papers except that endnote doesn't directly work with it.

re: hard drives - stay away from 4200 rpm drives.. if you're not planning on running a bootcamp partition, then 160gigs is probably enough for most things, and then get an external drive for backups and big files like movies, music, etc.

fb

the only reason i really didn't consider iwork is because i was under the impression that most professors only issue things in word and such. are work documents compatible with iwork, or if not are there any converters i could use?

thanks for the tips on the 4200rpm drives and the external drives.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

the only reason i really didn't consider iwork is because i was under the impression that most professors only issue things in word and such. are work documents compatible with iwork, or if not are there any converters i could use?

thanks for the tips on the 4200rpm drives and the external drives.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/fea...atibility.html
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

I got the 2.4 with the standard 160 5400 rpm. And I use bootcamp, only 25gig partition. However, I have 500 GB in externals and my iTunes library is around 180GB. But, I still have about 30 GB left on my internal. One question, why are you getting the usb modem? Are you seriously going to be using dial up on this state of the art computer? I should hope not. Most likely you wont even need the ethernet port as youll be using wifi.... just wondering.

Oh, also, about iWork... its nice but pages is a bit more confusing than word or neooffice in my opinion. Keynote, however is nicer than powerpoint 2004. BUT, if you have the money (or the know-how), get Office 2007 for Windows and hold off on office 2004 for mac and wait till the 2008 comes out. powerpoint on office 2007 is awesome, in my opinion.

good question as to why i have to use the USB modem. i live in a semi-rural township, but at&t installed the internet lines this spring. we talked to the guy who was installing them, and said that we won't be able to get the cable internet until the township activates the lines, which pretty much sucks because even though our whole road signed a petition to have them activated, nothing happened. any of you mac guys/girls know how to convince traditional conservatives into getting us cable internet?! haha.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

i feel like such an idiot. haha. thanks for the info!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

good question as to why i have to use the USB modem. i live in a semi-rural township, but at&t installed the internet lines this spring. we talked to the guy who was installing them, and said that we won't be able to get the cable internet until the township activates the lines, which pretty much sucks because even though our whole road signed a petition to have them activated, nothing happened. any of you mac guys/girls know how to convince traditional conservatives into getting us cable internet?! haha.

tell them dial-up supports gay terrorists, and also kills unborn babies.

edit: Gay terrorists using dirty bombs against Texan fetuses.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    UPDATE:

My friend just got a MacBook, and really likes it. Like, a lot. Haha. So I then started pricing out MacBooks as well. I noticed a huge price difference, and was wondering if the upgrades with the MacBook Pro are worth the extra $500-$700.

MacBook 13-inch: White
    • 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 160GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

• iWork '06 preinstalled

• Apple USB Modem

Total: $1,926.00

OR

Macbook Pro 15-inch: Silver
    • 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

• MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

• Apple USB Modem

• iWork '06 preinstalled

Total: $2,551.00

(with 160GB Drive at 7200rpm = $2,701.00)
  • Reply 12 of 24
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    ask them what would jesus do?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

tell them dial-up supports gay terrorists, and also kills unborn babies.

HAHAHAHAH!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

ask them what would jesus do?

exactly! i mean, how can utopia have dial-up?! what're they thinking?!?! jeez.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I think you will be happy with the 2.2ghz, you can save some of the money and buy some extras for the MBP, I would say though that if you're going to be doing photo editing and the like you would be money happy with the matte display, IMO
  • Reply 16 of 24
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Hrrm you seem to be in the same boat as I was in. Well I splurged and threw myself on the 2.4 model because I wanted the better vid card and I had been saving for a while and I decided that if I was going to get a mac Id sure as hell go all the way in.

-My uses seem to be very similar to yours and when it came down to Photo and Video editing I just decided its for the better to have the better vid card, hence the 2.4 model.

-I also went with the 7200 rpm drive. Worth it if you ask me. I get good battery life for when Im toting my MBP around and I normally have it plugged in when Im going intensive things so battery consumption I dont find to be an issue.

-I also threw iWork on there. I really enjoy pages a bit better than Word (and btw I got Office Student 2007 for my family and I honestly do not like it at all) and Keynote is so sweet. I have a presentation that I need to present in 2 weeks for my summer internship and I find it running smoother on Keynote than would have on Power Point.

-As for your professors with Word documents in all, Pages is cool and you can export the documents as word files but I would just suggest getting Office 2004 for mac. Im worried that my Labs will come as excel files like they normally do and then Im up the creek as to opening them on my Mac, so for school Id seriously consider Office for Mac, Im buying as I type this...suck.

And finally since Im going to school and will be in school for quit a while, Grad school coming up soon I got Apple Care. I just wanted to know that for the next few years while Im going to school that my 2,700 dollar investment is covered.

Best of Luck!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

UPDATE:

Macbook Pro 15-inch: Silver

Total: $2,551.00

(with 160GB Drive at 7200rpm = $2,701.00)

Two things J.

First, you're getting this for college, right? If so:

A. you can get about $200 off from Apple's educational discounts. Go to the Apple store, select educational discounts (usually in the upper right hand), and enter the school that you are going to.

B. there isn't a university in the country that doesn't have wifi. If you can live without internet access while not in school, skip the USB modem.

Second, if you are getting this laptop for gaming, skip the MacBook. The MacBook Pro has a better graphics card, which is much better than the MacBook's integrated graphics. The bigger screen would also be better for the type of work that you want to do.

If you want to save $, get the 2.2 and the ed. discount:

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz

Part Number: Z0EB

Accessory Kit

iWork '06 preinstalled

MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

$1,915.00 [not including taxes]
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Two things J.

First, you're getting this for college, right? If so:

A. you can get about $200 off from Apple's educational discounts. Go to the Apple store, select educational discounts (usually in the upper right hand), and enter the school that you are going to.

B. there isn't a university in the country that doesn't have wifi. If you can live without internet access while not in school, skip the USB modem.

Second, if you are getting this laptop for gaming, skip the MacBook. The MacBook Pro has a better graphics card, which is much better than the MacBook's integrated graphics. The bigger screen would also be better for the type of work that you want to do.

If you want to save $, get the 2.2 and the ed. discount:

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz

Part Number: Z0EB

Accessory Kit

iWork '06 preinstalled

MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

$1,915.00 [not including taxes]

Wow, I was totally forgetting the Education Discount. I thought that it was only $200 off an iPod or other Apple device when purchasing your MacBook Pro. Hmm. I will definately need the Apple Care, and even then, $2,300+tax is still not bad at all for the MBP. Does the iPod discount still apply, or no?

This information makes me very happy. :-)

Also, my parents are making my commute my first year to community college cause A) they just got me a new car to do so, and B) they think it's foolish to pay a lot of money to go to a university when I don't know what my major is. So I NEED the USB modem.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Wow, I was totally forgetting the Education Discount. I thought that it was only $200 off an iPod or other Apple device when purchasing your MacBook Pro. Hmm. I will definately need the Apple Care, and even then, $2,300+tax is still not bad at all for the MBP. Does the iPod discount still apply, or no?

Even better. Apple is currently having a promotion which qualifies you for a free nano or significant savings on the vidoe iPod.

Good luck.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I'VE MADE A DECISION...

After going back and forth changing from Macbook Pro to Macbook and between how much I wanted to spend, I've decided on the 15-inch Macbook Pro 2.2GHz. I think its a great computer for the money and for what I need, and I'm even getting a 30G iPod with it.

Grand Total: $2,393.82 including tax.
    (after $200 iPod rebate)

My graduation party is the 21st, so I will probably go the monday after to get it. Hopefully the Apple store has it instock so I can take it home that day.

Also, Thanks for everyone's help. It's been very beneficial. I'll let you know how everything is when I get it.