Multi-touch video iPods to arrive in August - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I don't think an iPod will have a Hard drive because it would take too long to boot up. The iPhone takes 5-10 seconds to boot and that's all solid state. It would take much longer on a slow spinning 1.8" HDD.

The iPod can sleep. It doesn't have to boot every time you turn it on.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Snowdog74, you truly made my day

1/ Multi touch allready made its way into the current Macbook series. Hopefully the Swiping, Pinching and Scrolling gestures will soon become part of everyone's Macbook life.

2/ The iPhone's current interface is amazing. It's the end of the scroll bar and the cursor!
  • Reply 63 of 104
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Hopefully it would also act as an eBook Reader with eBooks sold through iTunes.

ebook reader +++
  • Reply 64 of 104
    sactoman01sactoman01 Posts: 209member
    I still contend that the 6G video iPod will NOT have either WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity--it will be a strictly media player that can connect to an Apple TV device through an iPod dock that has the standard iPod data connector; the dock can connect to the AirPort Extreme device so it can stream media to the Apple TV.

Why no built-in WiFi or Bluetooth? The reason is simple: it prevents hackers from accessing the iPod through a wireless connection and possibly damaging the player.
  • Reply 65 of 104
    Although its not an apple product, people should check out the Nokia n800. It seems like it fulfills the desires of a lot of people in this thread.

The Nokia n800 review at spicey gadget
  • Reply 66 of 104
    So will this thing play videos larger than the iPhone does? Because I don't like how squished up videos are on the iPhone. Can't they make the video play completely full screen??
  • Reply 67 of 104
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Why no built-in WiFi or Bluetooth? The reason is simple: it prevents hackers from accessing the iPod through a wireless connection and possibly damaging the player.

I've never seen a case where remote access damages hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

So will this thing play videos larger than the iPhone does? Because I don't like how squished up videos are on the iPhone. Can't they make the video play completely full screen??

The demo videos suggest tapping (or double tapping?) the screen during playback to change the video play mode, switching between letterbox or full screen mode.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've never seen a case where remote access damages hardware.

The demo videos suggest tapping (or double tapping?) the screen during playback to change the video play mode, switching between letterbox or full screen mode.

On the iPhone??? Really? I'll have to check that out.

Edit: I just watched a demo video, and that isn't what I want. I want the video to go all the way from the left side to the right side of the device, without all the black space on each side. I will ALWAYS watch videos in their original theatrical aspect ratio, so the "fullscreen" thing isn't what I want. I just want more screen real estate that's ACTUALLY screen.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

I agree with you. I think there's a good chance of it having Wifi. I just hope it can wirelessly sync.

I don't think you really understand the consequences of wireless sync. It will take battery power and operate at 1/10th the speed of a USB 2 connection. Using the cable charges and syncs at the best speed. There are interesting ideas for wireless in iPods, but I don't think syncing is one of them.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:

On the iPhone??? Really? I'll have to check that out.

Edit: I just watched a demo video, and that isn't what I want. I want the video to go all the way from the left side to the right side of the device, without all the black space on each side. I will ALWAYS watch videos in their original theatrical aspect ratio, so the "fullscreen" thing isn't what I want. I just want more screen real estate that's ACTUALLY screen.

The video apple-iphone-welcome show a sample video of the widescreen video of Cars being fit to the left and right edge of the screen, in what appears to be the original aspect ratio. The actual audio is like this: "you can double tap to see the movie in its theatrical aspect ratio, if you want to zoom in at full screen, double tap again".
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Quote:

The video apple-iphone-welcome show a sample video of the widescreen video of Cars being fit to the left and right edge of the screen, in what appears to be the original aspect ratio. The actual audio is like this: "you can double tap to see the movie in its theatrical aspect ratio, if you want to zoom in at full screen, double tap again".

Yes. I know! What i'm talking about is having the screen COVER THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE DEVICE. So that they'll be about 2 millimeters of edge on each side of the screen, and the video will be covering one entire side of the device. The screen is not as big as i'd like it to be. That's all i'm saying.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    Quote:

Yes. I know! What i'm talking about is having the screen COVER THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE DEVICE. So that they'll be about 2 millimeters of edge on each side of the screen, and the video will be covering one entire side of the device. The screen is not as big as i'd like it to be. That's all i'm saying.

OK then. Your original wording suggested that the video was distorted or something like that. For the iPone, It would be nice to have a bigger screen, but I don't know if it's realistic, given that there needs to be more room than that for the mic and the earpiece. On an iPod without those things, then maybe, but I don't know if there are screens that size and shape.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:

OK then. Your original wording suggested that the video was distorted or something like that. For the iPone, It would be nice to have a bigger screen, but I don't know if it's realistic, given that there needs to be more room than that for the mic and the earpiece. On an iPod without those things, then maybe, but I don't know if there are screens that size and shape.

Well, the iPod is now a complete media player, and it SHOULD be better at playing movies than the iPhone is.

I think the new widescreen ipod will have a 4" screen.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    Nice but I'll see believe it when I see it, my 4 GB 1st died of unknown causes, so I replaced it with a 2nd gen Nano. Since my itunes account got bigger over the years I opted to upgrade to the 30GB Video last week but knew an improved verison was not that far around the bend.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    Quote:

I don't think you really understand the consequences of wireless sync. It will take battery power and operate at 1/10th the speed of a USB 2 connection. Using the cable charges and syncs at the best speed. There are interesting ideas for wireless in iPods, but I don't think syncing is one of them.

Yes, of course anything wireless will drain the battery.

The speed is not such a big issue though because all I would have to do is bring the iPod into wireless range of my computer. I can even leave it in my bag and it's updated and ready to go to work with me the next morning. When I have to plug it in, I'm sitting there waiting for it so I want it to be as fast as possible. I know my usage doesn't match everyone elses but I usually charge it at work and sync it at home.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Well, the iPod is now a complete media player, and it SHOULD be better at playing movies than the iPhone is.

I think the new widescreen ipod will have a 4" screen.

It's probably economically advantageous for Apple to use the same 3.5" screen from the iPhone. All the same parts. It'll be interesting to see if the keep it iPhone planform area or iPod planform area too.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

It's probably economically advantageous for Apple to use the same 3.5" screen from the iPhone. All the same parts. It'll be interesting to see if the keep it iPhone planform area or iPod planform area too.

That would suck really badly if the iPod keeps the 3.5" screen. I want a bigger screen damn it!!!
  • Reply 78 of 104
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    well. i think a touch function is useless, apple should updater more in iPod screen.them i can make full use off LINK REMOVED DO NOT SPAM THIS SOFTWARE HERE for iPod
  • Reply 79 of 104
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

well. i think a touch function is useless, apple should updater more in iPod screen.them i can make full use of my tool for iPod

3.5" screen can make yuo satified~them yuo can enjoy in your movie which is ripped by mp4converter
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

well. i think a touch function is useless, apple should updater more in iPod screen.them i can make full use of *SNIP URL*

Can you please stop link spamming?