Multi-touch video iPods to arrive in August - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is preparing to launch a next-generation video iPod in August that features a touch-screen panel similar to the iPhone, according to DigiTimes.



Citing "sources at upstream suppliers," the Far Eastern rumor publication reports that Wintek will be supplying the touch panels for the players.



"The Taiwan-based panel maker will begin shipping capacitive touch screen panels in the second half of 2007," DigiTimes said. "The company noted that its touch screen panels will be used with customers' own software and ICs."



During a private meeting last month, Apple's traditionally tigh-lipped chief executive Steve Jobs all but broke the silence on the future of the video iPod. Speaking to employees at the Apple Town Hall, he said a division of the company was hard at work on next-generation iPods that, like iPhone, would run an embedded version of the Mac OS X operating system.



Picking up on Jobs' comments were Wall Street analysts such as Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, who in a report to clients earlier this week suggested that the current iteration of iPhone represents much of what Apple's flagship iPod line will soon be.



"Specifically, we expect Apple to release high capacity iPods based on OS X sometime during or before Macworld '08 in January," he wrote.



According to Munster, whose reports appear to be somewhat speculative, the new video iPod players would likely include touch-screen media features akin to the iPhone, but not include wireless phone capabilities or Internet features.



The last significant update to Apple's video iPod family came almost two years ago, when the company used a media event to introduce 30GB and 60GB models with color screens and video playback capabilities.



Although the video players were refreshed the following fall, the updates were modest at best -- they included game support, brighter displays, and 20GB of additional capacity on the high-end model.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 104
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Pray this time it is a world-wide release!
  • Reply 2 of 104
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    nice. i went to an apple store yesterday (after renewing my tmobile contract to lock myself out of covet mode) and checked out the iphone. that thing is so awesome, and ipod mode is really pretty cool. the plan became clear



    1. iphone (the kids covet, but cant justify or afford 600 bones)

    2. touch screen ipods so the kids can have some of that, covet the phone some more and train on how to use multitouch

    3. cheaper iPhones and less-feature heavy version that millions of people will eat up in a second.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Has Digitimes ever gotten a rumor right?
  • Reply 4 of 104
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    There are so many of the reports flying around, the law of averages tells you one of them is bound to get it right eventually!



    We all know a full screen video iPod with touch controls is on its way, we have known that for well over a year now. It's just a matter of when.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    Has Digitimes ever gotten a rumor right?





    they have been hit and miss but mostly hit recently.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 885member
    The rumor sounds more than logical. With the iPhone establishing a new design standard anything less in a new iPod design would fall short - something Steve J doesn't like to see.



    Two questions are on my mind - first, will it have a hard drive? I hope so, even if it may make the iPod just a little bit thicker. The second is will it basically be a stripped down iPhone? That design is so stunning that I find it hard to believe that Steve J will move too far from it.



    Hopefully they will come out with two models - the basic iPod and an iPod with the internet features - basically the iPhone without the phone. It might piss ATT off a little, but I think it would sell like crazy.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    I'd bet august is too soon but January would be likely.

    Maybe November for the holiday sales season
  • Reply 8 of 104
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    Has Digitimes ever gotten a rumor right?



    Actually they've done very well lately. Especially with Leopard release when everybody AND APPLE denied reports that Leopard is delayed , digitimes stood by their reports and said October release.



    Now i dont think August is the time to release new iPODs. I'm betting on October.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I think their time-frame is a little aggressive. October is more likely (even November). And I'm still not entirely convinced that the 6Gen iPod will have the touch screen. Apple may want to sit on the iPhone for a little longer to entice more people to go pick-up one as their contracts expire.



    But there is no doubt that the iPod needs a re-fresh; and while I think that Nano could do with just a memory up-grade this year, the full-sized iPod is essentially unchanged in the past two years. It's a good machine, but like the iMac, it's time for something new to look at.



    Edit: Wally beat me to the punch...
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Ideally: an ipod with all features of the iphone except the phone, but with mass storage. Give it a few PDA features (like the ability to check email) via a tethered phone or bluetooth link to the computer (WiFI would be nice too).



    Another feature I'd like to see would be GPS. I have been wanting an all-in-one music/video/GPS system for some time. Garmin is getting close, but an apple version would rock. Especially if it were world capable.



    I would much rather have these above features and a small phone than the iPhone (especially since I can tether my computer to my phone, a deal breaker for me on the iPhone).
  • Reply 11 of 104
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    The rumor sounds more than logical. With the iPhone establishing a new design standard anything less in a new iPod design would fall short - something Steve J doesn't like to see.



    Agreed.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    Two questions are on my mind - first, will it have a hard drive? I hope so, even if it may make the iPod just a little bit thicker. The second is will it basically be a stripped down iPhone? That design is so stunning that I find it hard to believe that Steve J will move too far from it.



    Hard-drive -- oh, most definitely.



    I will guess that if the 6Gen iPod has multi-touch, then it will look quite different than the iPhone -- think Macbook and MBP. They won't be entirely different, but there will be contrast to differentiate the two -- no one is going to wonder if your iPod is actually an iPhone!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    Hopefully they will come out with two models - the basic iPod and an iPod with the internet features - basically the iPhone without the phone. It might piss ATT off a little, but I think it would sell like crazy.



    I doubt that there will be Wifi at this point. Perhaps that will make it into the 7Gen iPod. Apple won't even put a radio into their iPod. They believe in simplicity in their devices. The iPhone is a communication device, which is why it has internet access. The iPod is just a media player.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirCloud View Post


    Ideally: an ipod with all features of the iphone except the phone, but with mass storage. Give it a few PDA features (like the ability to check email) via a tethered phone or bluetooth link to the computer (WiFI would be nice too).



    Another feature I'd like to see would be GPS. I have been wanting an all-in-one music/video/GPS system for some time. Garmin is getting close, but an apple version would rock. Especially if it were world capable.



    I would much rather have these above features and a small phone than the iPhone (especially since I can tether my computer to my phone, a deal breaker for me on the iPhone).



    Sony is much more likely to make the device that you're talking about than is Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post


    I think their time-frame is a little aggressive. October is more likely (even November). And I'm still not entirely convinced that the 6Gen iPod will have the touch screen. Apple may want to sit on the iPhone for a little longer to entice more people to go pick-up one as their contracts expire.



    But there is no doubt that the iPod needs a re-fresh; and while I think that Nano could do with just a memory up-grade this year, the full-sized iPod is essentially unchanged in the past two years. It's a good machine, but like the iMac, it's time for something new to look at.



    Edit: Wally beat me to the punch...



    I agree with you.



    Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but what part of Jobs saying that the next iPod will run OS X leads people to immediately assume touch screen? Or Wifi and PDA and Safari, etc.?



    I'm not saying we won't get there eventually, but I don't know how Apple could make an 80 GB touch screen iPod any cheaper than the $600 iPhone. And $600 is pretty steep just for an iPod at this point.



    I definitely think there will be some sort of new iPod lineup sometime this fall. Can't imagine Apple sitting on the current models for another holiday shopping season. But what that lineup will look like is another story.



    I just hate reading all the disappointment posts when Apple doesn't deliver pipe dreams that they never promised in the first place. If you want a solid clue as to what is coming next from Apple, listen to what Steve says, first and foremost. He offers precious little clues, but at least they are mostly reliable clues.



    What do we know for sure about the next iPod? It will run OS X. That's it.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    Hopefully they will come out with two models - the basic iPod and an iPod with the internet features - basically the iPhone without the phone. It might piss ATT off a little, but I think it would sell like crazy.





    I'd just like a new multi-touch iPod to have calendar and contact editing - so I can replace a PDA. Maybe a notes type of functionality too. And sync with Mac OS X.



    Internet/wifi sounds like a pipe-dream. Too much like the iPhone. Just my opinion.



    Actually I want an iPhone without the phone.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post


    But there is no doubt that the iPod needs a re-fresh; and while I think that Nano could do with just a memory up-grade this year...



    Given that Samsung has been pushing out new 60nm 2Gb flash for a month or so now I would be very surprised if they didn't refresh the Nano with the new flash for double the capacity.



    Vinea
  • Reply 16 of 104
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post


    Actually I want an iPhone without the phone.



    You can get one of those now if you want - just get an iPhone and cancel your AT&T contract.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i can't believe people think they'll get an iPod with email and gps for less than an iPhone.



    here's what i see for the new iPod:



    take a look at the home screen on the iPhone -

    get rid of SMS text, youTube, Stocks, Maps and Weather widgets.

    good, now get rid of phone, mail and safari on the bottom.

    [basically anything that requires an internet connection]

    now switch the icons around - from the home screen it's an ipod, but with an OSX style hiding dock that has calendar, photos, camera, clock, calculator, notes and settings.



    i would hope there are 60 and 100 gig hard drives in these things, but i see Jobs going all SSD too soon, with 8 and 16 gig versions. possibly a 32, but i think that would put the price point too high.
  • Reply 18 of 104
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I don't think it will include internet access or GPS as Apple needs to sufficiently differentiate the iPhone and iPod. If there is too much overlap it will make the iPhone look less attractive given the additional network costs involved.



    I suspect a format similiar to the iPhone with 60/120Gb hard drive versions to allow for the increased use of video. There may be two screen sizes. I suspect the main additional features will be increased PDA funtionality and more games.



    Judging by previous years it will appear Sept/Oct in time for the holiday buying season and hopefully it will be accompanied by a roll-out of movies and tv shows to iTunes stores outside the US.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    Hmmm, I never said I wanted an iPod + email + GPS for less than the iPhone. I would gladly pay $999 for a souped up device like this with all these features. Look at the top end Garmin sitting at $1k. About the same thing but it isn't Apple technology or software, so it is definitely lacking in what it "could" be. Apple could start these with basic features for sub $300 for a 30Gb model and work up features and space (maybe 4/5 such models) with the top 2 being GPS capable (a US/Euro version and a combine US/Euro version at the very top end). They have google working with them now so the mapping software isn't an issue...just apply GPS.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post


    I'd bet august is too soon but January would be likely.

    Maybe November for the holiday sales season



    What? Apple doesn't care about sales seasons. That's why they always time their updates to the consumer/education lines to be after all the schools have spent their money (still waiting for that new iMac, probably september). It seems like apple sees it as a gimick, or a sales 'incentive', to put out product in that time frame. They have this ideal their stuff doesn't need a 'reason' to buy it, you'll buy it regardless.
Sign In or Register to comment.