Apple unlocks full-screen QuickTime playback, releases iTunes 7.3.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Really? Which formats?

Streaming AAC for one. It's amazing how many media players have AAC, but not streaming AAC.

Quote:

I can't remember the last time I had to use VLC to play anything.

VLC crashes for me more often than not.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Does this mean that you can now download a movie through Safari? Without the Pro plug-in the only way to do that is open the activity window, find the file as it downloads to the cache and double click it. As much as I like and admire Apple, crippling their own browser to try squeeze a few extra quid out of the user is taking the piss I reckon. If I want to download a movie I keep Camino to hand so I can just command-s rather than faffing about in the activity window. As regards the player, that is irrelevant to me as they have lost my custom there years ago, a nice little freeware app MovieTime plays full-screen, and with the Flip4Mac plug-in it will work most of the time, VLC when it doesn't (Perian is 10.4+, I'm on 10.3.9).

Still, some progress. Now Apple, what about RAM prices?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I still don't get when Apple added that feature (or took it away as the case may be) whereby when you launch another app, say 'Calculator' or 'Dictionary' for example, and you are playing a video podcast or a movie in iTunes (not in fullscreen) and you open those other apps they stay hidden behind the iTunes video window. Why not include a fix for that issue in this update, cause that's certainly..

not a feature!!!
  • Reply 24 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    They added a lovely bug too; the floating video controller likes to jump around, great. I clicked on it twice and it reappeared up in the corner, half-way out of the window.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I got a round of applause for asking for that at last year's WWDC. I'm glad they finally did it!
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

a new version of QuickTime Player that unlocks support for viewing videos in full-screen -- a feature which was previously available only through a $30 QuickTime Pro license.

BS. I've been doing it via AppleScript for months.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Holy dog crap! apple does listen to customers...they are hard-of-hearing, but they listen!

ABOUT DAMND TIME FULL SCREEN WAS FREE...it is a BASIC feature.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

... Why did it take them so long to sort this back to the way it was before?!

Before? Before what? Before QuickTime Pro, the QuickTime Player played exclusively in Windowed mode. The fullscreen mode was added to the editing features as part of QuickTime Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It's about time. It took way too long for Apple to realize that VLC can do everything QT Player can do (and more, like adjust audio sync), play fullscreen, play more media formats, and is completely free.

And VLC has always seemed a tad more 'fragile' too... Don't get me wrong, I really like VLC and wouldn't be without and it's Mac support has been (as far as I've seen) pretty equal with that of Unix and Winodws it but when it comes to stability it seems (for me) to be:

1. QuickTime

2. VLC

3. MPlayer (only really pull this out if VLC can't play something)

I don't even comment on Real since I've tried my best to simply avoid and ignore any/all content that requires it's use... Heck if given a choice between Real & Windows Media... I'm ashamed to admit it but I usually click on the WMP icon over real.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 59
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Hopefully iTunes 7.3.1 will fix the 1 second pauses I've been experiencing on songs not played before in the beginning. Once they play that pause goes away.

It's about time they unlocked the full-screen. Every other movie player does it.

I'm not sure that's an iTunes issue... Mine does that too, but it's because I have a lyrics widget..

Every-time a song that hasn't been played comes on, the widget grabs the lyrics and copies them to the iTunes file, which creates a short pause...
  • Reply 31 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Holy dog crap! apple does listen to customers...they are hard-of-hearing, but they listen!

Hey.... now lets not go overboard.... If adding fullscreen to 'QT Basic' in any way shape or form resembles Apple listening to it's customers it's purely coincidental, that you can be assured of.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i got stick at work for "activating" a couple of computers for full screen quicktime playback, but i'd like to think this kind of action might've made apple realise the error of their ways and enabled this feature for the free version of the software
  • Reply 33 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It's about time. It took way too long for Apple to realize that VLC can do everything QT Player can do (and more, like adjust audio sync), play fullscreen, play more media formats, and is completely free.

While VLC may be free and has it's benefits Quicktime Pro also does things that make the $30 cost more than worth it for me.

Still, I'm glad they addd fullscreen capabilities now even thought we knew this was going to be included with Leopard.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    For iTunes 7.3.1:

it appears the problem with the 'fuzzy'/distorted scroll bar when using cover flow has been finally been fixed!

It is about...time!

(By the way does anyone know how to arrange the iTunes library so that it shows albums by a specific artist by year released-as opposed to listing albums by alphabetical order)?

Cheers!
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

For iTunes 7.3.1:

it appears the problem with the 'fuzzy'/distorted scroll bar when using cover flow has been finally been fixed!

It is about...time!

While it did a long time to fix this issue it was fixed on June 29th with the release of 7.3.0.

Quote:

By the way does anyone know how to arrange the iTunes library so that it shows albums by a specific artist by year released-as opposed to listing albums by alphabetical order)?

Off the top of my head, you can select Album view and then arrange by Year. This will still keep all the tracks from the same album together.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it did a long time to fix this issue it was fixed on June 29th with the release of 7.3.0.

Off the top of my head, you can select Album view and then arrange by Year. This will still keep all the tracks from the same album together.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Funny, I kept on having the problems with cover-flow even when I updated to 7.3.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

(By the way does anyone know how to arrange the iTunes library so that it shows albums by a specific artist by year released-as opposed to listing albums by alphabetical order)?

I don't have iTunes in front of me right now, but I think you sort by Artist, then click the Album bar until it cycles through Album, Album by Artist, Album by Year.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

And VLC has always seemed a tad more 'fragile' too... Don't get me wrong, I really like VLC and wouldn't be without and it's Mac support has been (as far as I've seen) pretty equal with that of Unix and Winodws it but when it comes to stability it seems (for me) to be:

1. QuickTime

2. VLC

3. MPlayer (only really pull this out if VLC can't play something)

I don't even comment on Real since I've tried my best to simply avoid and ignore any/all content that requires it's use... Heck if given a choice between Real & Windows Media... I'm ashamed to admit it but I usually click on the WMP icon over real.

Dave

I also hate real. If given a choice between using real and not watching it at all, I would go with the latter. But, I plave VLC as the best player because of this feature:

for those of us with ripped dvds.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I also hate real. If given a choice between using real and not watching it at all, I would go with the latter. But, I plave VLC as the best player because of this feature:

for those of us with ripped dvds.

I've had VLC crash while using that feature more than any other (expect maybe re-encoding files). Converting my copied DVDs to better codec like XviD or H.264 has saved me a great deal of space taken up by the old and busted MPEG-2 codec.

Quote:

Funny, I kept on having the problems with cover-flow even when I updated to 7.3.

It fixed it for me and many others with GMA950s so I figured it fixed it for everyone. bad assumption on my part.

PS: THe other option posted about just choosing Album View and then sorting my Artists is better than my option as it keeps the artist's albums together while still separating by year. They will be in decending order but that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slimecat View Post

I don't have iTunes in front of me right now, but I think you sort by Artist, then click the Album bar until it cycles through Album, Album by Artist, Album by Year.

I've wanted to sort this way, but never knew how - you've totally made my day.