Apple unlocks full-screen QuickTime playback, releases iTunes 7.3.1

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "The other option posted about just choosing Album View and then sorting my Artists is better than my option as it keeps the artist's albums together while still separating by year. They will be in decending order but that shouldn't be an issue."

If you click on the "Album by Artist" bar, a triangle comes up and you can flip the order either way.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had VLC crash while using that feature more than any other (expect maybe re-encoding files). Converting my copied DVDs to better codec like XviD or H.264 has saved me a great deal of space taken up by the old and busted MPEG-2 codec.

What app do you use to do that if I already have many videos in the TS directory format?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Really? Which formats?

I can't remember the last time I had to use VLC to play anything. There's a lot of decent quicktime codecs now, especially after the Perian 1.0 release which has brought together most of the weird non standard proprietary crap like DivX and AC3.

Possibly I haven't found the proper plug-ins yet for Player, but I have found that VLC does play all of the AVI files that are either white or black on the screen in Player.

Also, the color correction is much better. The addition of gamma is significant. I don't know offhand of any other player that has it. It's more useful than either brightness or contrast, and when added to those two, makes the corrections far better. It's something I use a lot in FCP, so I'm surprised Apple didn't see fit to add it to Player as well.

Perhaps you can answer a question of mine. No matter what I've looked up, I can't seem to find a way for Player to color correct MPEG, or MOV files, even though it corrects everything else. Even the speed control works on them.

Any idea?
  • Reply 44 of 59
    After I installed today's updates, all my Java projects in Eclipse IDE has error status, because of missing library "QTJSupport.jar" that was originally located in /System/Library/Java/Extensions directory.

It's not a big deal for me, since I do not use this library but I have to manually change all my projects... Still I wonder why did they remove this?
  • Reply 45 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know this isn't exactly on topic but what I hope gets fixed is the strange superimposed pixillation garbled effect that I see all the time when watching the Apple TV commercials using QT plugin in Safari.

It's some weird streaming cache thing at the beginning of the playback usually, but has nothing to do with any lack of bandwidth or computing power on my part because I have the ultimate in both cases, and it happens on all my other macs as well.

Does anyone know what causes this problem?

example image

It's likely just trying to play the movie too soon. If you set a higher delay on your instant-on in the Quicktime prefs, it might go away. Though this sometimes happens with avi files right until the entire movie is loaded.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What app do you use to do that if I already have many videos in the TS directory format?

Tried VisualHub or Handbrake ?
  • Reply 47 of 59
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I also hate real. If given a choice between using real and not watching it at all, I would go with the latter. But, I plave VLC as the best player because of this feature:

for those of us with ripped dvds.

Doesn't the Apple DVD Player app also allow you to select a VIDEO_TS directory? I seem to remember it being in the File menu, but I'm at work so I can't check...
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Doesn't the Apple DVD Player app also allow you to select a VIDEO_TS directory? I seem to remember it being in the File menu, but I'm at work so I can't check...

Yes, it does support VIDEO_TS folders and IME the display is less jerky than VLC too.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Wow, about time for the QT thing. Now I can stop using my friend's pro key

Btw has the new iTunes stuff given the 'get lyrics' option?
  • Reply 50 of 59
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

We're all geeks here so we know about AppleScript and all that. But the fact is that most people don't know about that stuff and wouldn't think to themselves "there must be some way of using scripting to make QuickTime do full screen without me having to pay". They'd think "wow, Apple really are a bunch of penny-pinching bastards, aren't they?"

Now this places things into perspective. Thanks.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Now this places things into perspective. Thanks.

Everyone I know just types in a serial code off the net and that's even the most righteous anti-piracy type I know. Apple really were just penny pinching bastards.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Everyone I know just types in a serial code off the net and that's even the most righteous anti-piracy type I know. Apple really were just penny pinching bastards.

Hey, you never answered my earlier question!
  • Reply 53 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's likely just trying to play the movie too soon. If you set a higher delay on your instant-on in the Quicktime prefs, it might go away. Though this sometimes happens with avi files right until the entire movie is loaded.

Nice suggestion, but if I'm paying this f**king much money for the best technology that money can buy, it's supposed to work correctly right out of the box, at least that's my opinion.

m
  • Reply 54 of 59
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Apple really were just penny pinching bastards.

Add "blind" to the sentence. Full-screen viewing was available on other players and platforms for so long, that it is not funny at all anymore. This feature is not a Pro feature by any stretch of imagination today. Perhaps in 80's, but not today.

At last, Apple saw the light on this one. Better late than never.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Great, now Apple just needs to make a modern, consolidated media-playing application! iTunes is slow and clunky playing any movie (on my spanking new MBP) and Quicktime works better but forgoes such niceties as a neatly consolidated library. If you're not watching purchased movies, Frontrow can be a pretty quirky experience, too (try watching Divx movies stored on an external drive, for example). The new DVD Player looks nice, but couldn't they consolidate their interfaces better?

I don't know how a company gets "making movies" so right, but struggles so much with "watching movies".
  • Reply 56 of 59
    I've been having some issues with Quicktime eversince I downloaded the update... Opening time for a file (movie on my computer) ised to be about 1 or 2 seconds... Now it is WELL OVER 30 SECONDS!!! I get the "beach ball of death" for the whole 30 seconds too... It's really annoying... Everyother application on my computer seems to be unaffected... Anyone know what could be causing it, and what I should do about it?? Also, FrontRow won't work either. It just locks up whenever I go into the "Videos" section...

~ Chris
  • Reply 57 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post

Anyone know what could be causing it, and what I should do about it?

Reinstall QT
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Reinstall QT

This is gonna sound really stupid but how do I do that?? I have had my Mac now for a year and NOTHING has ever gone wrong, so I've never had to fix anything... In a way I think that by getting a Mac, it has made me stupid. I used to know the in's and out's of Windows like the back of my hand. But because I got tired of working on my Dell all the damn time and always fixing things, I got a Mac and haven't had a single problem with it. Because of that, I haven't really had the motivation to learn how to fix things that seemed they would never go wrong... \

~ Chris
  • Reply 59 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post

how do I do that??

http://www.apple.com/downloads/