Apple's surprise new products, or big updates.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, what is Apple planning for this year and the beginning of next?

Be reasonable at first. What do we expect to see, and what would like to see.

And then list your favorite not so reasonable dream product.

I'm curious to see what we think updates will actually look like, and what we would like them to look like.

List specs or whatever you like. It's a Prediction thread that includes some fantasy predictions as well.

I'm not going first, but I will list mine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Hardware

1. New iMac and Mac mini models. The iMac will be a new much sexier design. The Mac mini will not change form factor but will move to Santa Rosa.

2. New 6G iPods with 3.5" screens and iPhone like multi touch UI. A legacy "scroll wheel" virtual interface will be included as a seperate mode.

Software

1. iLife and iWork will be anounced on a special event along with the release of OS X Leopard. They will not be Leopard only but Apple will show features in them that are only available on Leopard Macs.

2. Aperture 2.0 is delivered and it rocks the house with speed and fluidity. Leopard version also has marked improvements.

3. Apple Remote Desktop 3.5 is delivered. Further improvements are found on Leopard

4. Logic Pro 8 is delivered. It's 64-bit and contains a new sound engine. Audio editing is superlative. Final Cut Pro savvy.

5. Final Cut Express ships- multiple format timeline carries over and support for ProRess 422

6. XSAN 2.0- speed and flexibility mark this update new storage hardware to follow in 2008

Net

1. New .mac announced and supports three tiers of service. Basic-Intermediate- Power User details are sketchy but I want the Power User package.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

So, what is Apple planning for this year and the beginning of next?

Be reasonable at first. What do we expect to see, and what would like to see.

And then list your favorite not so reasonable dream product.

I'm curious to see what we think updates will actually look like, and what we would like them to look like.

List specs or whatever you like. It's a Prediction thread that includes some fantasy predictions as well.

I'm not going first, but I will list mine.

Well, obviously the new iMac. New case design, pretty much same specs as the new MBPs with bigger HDDs. 20 and 24 and possibly a 30 inch. By end of July.

Some sort of ultraportable 12"/tablet 10". there are several threads on this already, so I won't go into details (also I don't want to look stupid) MWSF if tablet, Paris if UP.

Mac mini replacement? Core2Duo around 2Ghz. 1-2 GB RAM. GMA 950. [Wishes for some sort of expandability] Nov/Dec

Update for the rest of the Mac Pro line. Generally faster/bigger everything. Before '08

New iPods. More disk/flash space. New Video touchscreen? OS X iPod not till next update. Before Christmas.

Macbooks. Santa Rosa. Backlit Keyboards (wish). LED? x3100 or whatever it's called. This might require another MBP update as to keep the distinction between them. timeframe???

Pretty much incremental updates in everything with iMac getting a new case and an ultraportable introduced.

I know that this is pretty vague, but I was trying to 'be reasonable'. Now, onlooker, what's yours?
  • Reply 3 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Interesting that now with all of the combined minds out there now speculating on future products and ravenous for AAPL information, the surprises are slowly being deflated one at a time. Steve's own legend has set him so high on a pedestal, no matter what his next series of announcements are, they will seem tepid.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What I think we will see: New iMac with new hardware keyboard. Video iPod, the real ones. 2 GB shuffle. Leopard with iLife and iWork, bundled. Ultra-portable Mac.

What I would like to see: New iMac with multi-touch keyboard. Multi-touch Mac tablet. Apple TV with optical DVD slot. Multi-touch iPhone nano. 5 Spanish women waiting for me when I go to bed.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting that now with all of the combined minds out there now speculating on future products and ravenous for AAPL information, the surprises are slowly being deflated one at a time. Steve's own legend has set him so high on a pedestal, no matter what his next series of announcements are, they will seem tepid.

Same could have been said before the iPhone arrived, then (that word Steve uses). If Apple uses Multi-touch and creates these multi-touch Macs I crave, they will wow me every time.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Well, obviously the new iMac. New case design, pretty much same specs as the new MBPs with bigger HDDs. 20 and 24 and possibly a 30 inch. By end of July.

Some sort of ultraportable 12"/tablet 10". there are several threads on this already, so I won't go into details (also I don't want to look stupid) MWSF if tablet, Paris if UP.

Mac mini replacement? Core2Duo around 2Ghz. 1-2 GB RAM. GMA 950. [Wishes for some sort of expandability] Nov/Dec

Update for the rest of the Mac Pro line. Generally faster/bigger everything. Before '08

New iPods. More disk/flash space. New Video touchscreen? OS X iPod not till next update. Before Christmas.

Macbooks. Santa Rosa. Backlit Keyboards (wish). LED? x3100 or whatever it's called. This might require another MBP update as to keep the distinction between them. timeframe???

Pretty much incremental updates in everything with iMac getting a new case and an ultraportable introduced.

I know that this is pretty vague, but I was trying to 'be reasonable'. Now, onlooker, what's yours?

intel has moved on to better on board video then the gma950 maybe gma X3000 X3100 better still is a video card with it's own ram in all mac systems.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I predict that all future iPods will use flash memory. Yes, I realize that means the largest iPod would only be 64GB.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I predict that all future iPods will use flash memory. Yes, I realize that means the largest iPod would only be 64GB.

What time frame are you talking?
  • Reply 9 of 98
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

If you're willing to pay $3000 for an iPod, I guess you can have a 64GB drive. But I suspect that Apple will make you wait a couple or three years...
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

intel has moved on to better on board video then the gma950 maybe gma X3000 X3100 better still is a video card with it's own ram in all mac systems.

I thought that the x3100 was only compatable w/santa rosa. I wouldn't think they would put that in a mini since it would A.) drive the price up, and B.) make it 'too' good so people wouldn't pay for the iMac since they could get similar specs for less.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I hope Murch is right.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

does it matter? as long as its "some time in the future"

-

New iMacs (been waiting all year)

New iPods but I dont think they will be touch screen YET

Leopard is a given

the New keyboard that comes with the iMac might be interesting

I'm looking forward to the iMacs ASAP now that Intel has a new mobile chip out

iTunes Movie downloads announced for at least SOME parts of Europe!! PLEASE!1!11!!!

Some new product we can only guess at be that a tablet or whatever, but I personally think the iPhone is already it!

CRAZY predictions

Apple announce the FUTURE in SHOES!! Apple Inc. will be concentrating their efforts into shoe manufacture along with their spin off company tread-bare which will sell high fashion clothes to low fashion people.

Steve will leave the company to run a chain of drive thru burger shops, Melinda gates will take his place.

stay away from me with those needles!
  • Reply 13 of 98
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The market is lusting for an iPod based on the iPhone design and I think that Steve J will let them buy it before Christmas. Might even be an "enhanced" version with internet access.

Leopard for sure, but iLife & iWork may be held back until MWSF if programmers are focused on Leopard right now. It wouldn't be a disaster to wait a couple of months for the secondary apps.

Ultra light notebook. I used one before switching to Macs and loved the form factor - and reduction in weight. It's an ideal product line for Apple and I believe that they will deliver, probably in the MBP line.

Throw in the new iMac and I think that will be about as much as Apple can get out the door by the end of the year.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

does it matter? as long as its "some time in the future"

Was I talking to you? I had a reason for asking him.

Please tell me why you have quotes round words he didn't type?

This is his whole post:
    Quote:

• Reply 15 of 98
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It could be within the next 9 months.

Quote:

Back in March, Samsung announced plans to produce a 64 GB flash-based solid state drive as a drop-in replacement for traditional hard drives in notebooks computers and other system. The company said the drive would ship to system makers in the second quarter of 2007: today, the company made good on that promise, announcing the 1.8-inch 64 GB solid state drive has gone into mass production. According to the company, the move makes Samsung the largest producer of high-capacity SSDs in the world.

Demand for solid-state drives in mobile and portable devices is expected to increase significantly over the next few years, since flash-based drives offer greater reliability, faster startup/wake times, and lower power consumption than traditional hard drives. Portable devices?like camcorders and media players?will also raise demand for solid-state drives, and Samsung expects that over the next three years, 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SSDs will move into desktop computers. In the meantime, Jim Elliott, Samsung's director of flash marketing, said, "We see sharply increasing interest in SSDs among OEMs worldwide amid a growing push to launch premium SSD-based notebooks, particularly in the ultra-mobile category."

The 64 GB drives probably won't be available to consumers anytime soon, but systems makers will probably start offering them as options?or even standard gear?on mobile computing products in the next few months. However, the drives will likely command a premium price for a while, perhaps adding as much as $1,000 to the price of a system.

• Reply 16 of 98
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    hoping for 16-core Mac Pros with quad 8800 GTXs, my octo-core mac pro is really lagging
  • Reply 17 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Mac Pro;

All New Enclosure. Same size same dimensions. New Look.

Options.

• Two Xeon 3.0GHz Core 2 Extreme QX6850 processors (8-core) (possibly Xeon 5400 Processors, but these can be OC's to 4.0+GHz)

• Two dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E6850 (quad-core)

• Memory up to 16 (or 32)GB - Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM.

• 3 or 4 Configurable PCI-E lanes. Two True 16X PCI-E lanes possible.

• HDCP Ready Graphics

• Updated graphics cards. EFI only in BTO from Apple store. New Cards. GeForce 8800 GTX, and GeForce 8800 Ultra, and the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 is still available.

• BIOS cards available Running on OS X. NON - BTO & Leopard Only! Drivers available for Nvidia Quadro FX cards, including X2 cards, and GeForce 7 and 8 Series cards also including X2 cards. ATI drivers also available. (Almost all cards right away)

• Hard drive storage up to 4TB

• Up to two Super-Drives

• AirPort Extreme

• Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

• 6 USB Ports 2 in front.

• 4 IEEE-1394 FireWire Ports 2 in Front.

That's what I expect to see for the Mac Pro. Without a possibility of using BIOS based cards, the Mac Pro is still going to lag in graphics to most of us, and continue to be the thorn in the side of many would be switchers. Apple needs to come to the party, and bring some party favors.

iMac update.

• New Form Factor.

Still using the Laptop Processor unless the heat has been reduced in the new Intel Desktop Processor at 45NM.

• New Graphics Processor for the low end model.

• GeForce 8800M GT in the 24 inch model. (Card does not yet exist so it's speculative)

All Speculative.

• MId Tower Mac one step Beyond the iMac, and many steps back from the Mac Pro.

• No real specs

• Single socket - Dual , or Quad core Desktop Processor available.

• One PCI-E lane For Graphics Card. That's It.

• Up to 4 GB of RAM.

• Two Drive Bays

• One DVD, or Superdrive available.

• I have no idea about anything else, but I've started to see the need for it.

• If the price is not feasible vs. PC's, or has any interference with the iMac you probably wont see it, but that is about what people seem to be asking for. (which is a little bit better cube IMO).

Laptop update.

Two Notebooks one each from Both Lines gets replaced. MacBook, and MacBook Pro.

Each come with a convertible multitouch screen, and multitouch centric interface template.

Very Thin. You can't even feel the difference.

Nothing more for now.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:

It could be within the next 9 months.

Yeah, that sounds about right, I was thinking a little further away, but I suppose we'll find out.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Mac Pro;

All New Enclosure. Same size same dimensions. New Look.

Options.

? Two Xeon 3.0GHz Core 2 Extreme QX6850 processors (8-core) (possibly Xeon 5400 Processors, but these can be OC's to 4.0+GHz)

? Two dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E6850 (quad-core)

? Memory up to 16 (or 32)GB - Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM.

? 3 or 4 Configurable PCI-E lanes. Two True 16X PCI-E lanes possible.

? HDCP Ready Graphics

? Updated graphics cards. EFI only in BTO from Apple store. New Cards. GeForce 8800 GTX, and GeForce 8800 Ultra, and the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 is still available.

? BIOS cards available Running on OS X. NON - BTO & Leopard Only! Drivers available for Nvidia Quadro FX cards, including X2 cards, and GeForce 7 and 8 Series cards also including X2 cards. ATI drivers also available. (Almost all cards right away)

? Hard drive storage up to 4TB

? Up to two Super-Drives

? AirPort Extreme

? Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

? 6 USB Ports 2 in front.

? 4 IEEE-1394 FireWire Ports 2 in Front.

That's what I expect to see for the Mac Pro. Without a possibility of using BIOS based cards, the Mac Pro is still going to lag in graphics to most of us, and continue to be the thorn in the side of many would be switchers. Apple needs to come to the party, and bring some party favors.

iMac update.

? New Form Factor.

Still using the Laptop Processor unless the heat has been reduced in the new Intel Desktop Processor at 45NM.

? New Graphics Processor for the low end model.

? GeForce 8800M GT in the 24 inch model. (Card does not yet exist so it's speculative)

All Speculative.

? MId Tower Mac one step Beyond the iMac, and many steps back from the Mac Pro.

? No real specs

? Single socket - Dual , or Quad core Desktop Processor available.

? One PCI-E lane For Graphics Card. That's It.

? Up to 4 GB of RAM.

? Two Drive Bays

? One DVD, or Superdrive available.

? I have no idea about anything else, but I've started to see the need for it.

? If the price is not feasible vs. PC's, or has any interference with the iMac you probably wont see it, but that is about what people seem to be asking for. (which is a little bit better cube IMO).

The new Xeon chip set will ecc ddr2 ram not ddr2 ram and will have more pci-e 2.0 lanes.

Also you need to have more then just a pci-e x16 slot for video in a mid tower x16 x4 x1 intel is better. Useing the intel P35 chipset or you can drop the mini and make the mid-tower take it's place useing G33 / G35 chipset with same slots and board as the mid-range system just cuting makeing full BTO like the mac pro.

Maybe even have a X38 based system with 2 X16 pci-e 2.0 slots dual slot for SLI / cross fire for a high end gaming system.

As Xeons with FB-DIMMS / ECC ram is not that good for gameing.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

The new Xeon chip set will ecc ddr2 ram not ddr2 ram and will have more pci-e 2.0 lanes.

Not arguing, but I'm not sure Apple will use the new XEON. As I said the Existing XEONS have been Over-clocked to 4.0GHz +. And are cheaper. I think there is a good chance Apple will not use the Xeon 5400 being that they cost $900.00+ each.

I just didn't put 2.0 behind my PCI-E. Sorry.

ECC, and SDRAM is essentially the same RAM. Either will work. And I buy all my RAM not from Apple anyway. It's just cheaper that way.

Quote:

Also you need to have more then just a pci-e x16 slot for video in a mid tower x16 x4 x1 intel is better. Useing the intel P35 chipset or you can drop the mini and make the mid-tower take it's place useing G33 / G35 chipset with same slots and board as the mid-range system just cuting makeing full BTO like the mac pro.

I don't think Apple should cut the Mini. I think there is still a place for it once there is another configuration.

Whatever the case is a Mid size Mac is all speculative being that none exists. I don't think Apple is going to offer that much for a machine that is going to be more than the iMac, and less than the Mac Pro. How much more than an iMac are people looking for? If they want that much there is the entry level Mac Pro. Which could wind up being about the same price as this mid tower if they put that much hardware in it.

Quote:

Maybe even have a X38 based system with 2 X16 pci-e 2.0 slots dual slot for SLI / cross fire for a high end gaming system.

I have serious doubts of Apple releasing a highend gaming system at this time. Especially if it's just a mid size machine. Apples only HIghend System is the Mac pro, and I'm pretty sure they will leave it that way.

Quote:

As Xeons with FB-DIMMS / ECC ram is not that good for gameing.

As that goes I just don't see Apple releasing a machine that is put together specifically for Gaming.