Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this fall plans to accelerate its assault on the 1 billion unit worldwide cell phone market with a second incarnation of its iPhone handset that will likely appeal to an even larger audience, AppleInsider has learned.

The move is believed to be part of a broader, all-out blitz on the consumer electronics sector this holiday shopping season, in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

Extremely reputable sources have told AppleInsider in recent weeks that the company's iPhone roadmap for the 2007 calendar year includes not one but two distinct models, the second of which is set to turn up just months after the first.

According to one source, development of the second model has followed so closely on the heels of the inaugural iPhone that it was making its final pass through engineering around the same time that today's model hit the manufacturing lines back in May or early June.

Conceived as a scaled back, lower cost alternative to today's iPhone, the second iteration of the handset is presumed to marry iPod functionality with rudimentary cellular capabilities. More resource-heavy Internet browsing and e-mail capabilities are not expected of the device.

In providing the first visual descriptions of the handset, long-standing industry sources -- who've continually been in tune with Apple's future music directions -- have dubbed the device "an iPhone nano" because they say it best describes the the handset's overall form-factor and aesthetic.

Pricing of the new handset is expected to fall significantly below the $500+ asking cost of today's iPhone models, these sources say, but not so much so as to pinch sales of an upcoming revision to the iPod nano.

Like today's iPhone, the new model is expected to sport a revolutionary user interface, clues of which may have recently been revealed in a trio of patent filings.

The filings published earlier this month detailed telephone and text entry interfaces for a cellular-capable device via a virtual rotary click-wheel. One in particular described segmenting a click-wheel's circular shape into various regions to enable quick phone dialing by sensing which region was touched.

(The near-simultanious appearance of these filings, ensuing scuffle amongst Wall Street analyst over the prospect of an iPhone nano, and the notion that a corresponding device is actually flirting with manufacturing ramp, all appear to be part of an eerie coincidence at this time.)

In a move that would stand in stark contrast to the June 29th iPhone launch, where supplies were exclusive to Apple and AT&T stores, there's also some informed speculation amongst sources that the new model would be immediately available through a larger network of Apple third-party retailers and AT&T partners.

Further details will be published if and when information becomes available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 125
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I might get another one now!!
  • Reply 2 of 125
    I always knew that the rotary dialer was just too cool of a concept to die.
  • Reply 3 of 125
    Finally some actual rumors. I'm sick of "analyst" predictions.

Way to go, AI!

(This must be the first time I've actually complimented you...)

-Clive
  • Reply 4 of 125
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Extremely reputable sources...

okay, I'll bite.

Apple announced the iPhone five months early so that the FCC wouldn't trump their announcement. I think that the final approval for the iPhone was at the beginning of June, so it really did take five months to approve. If iPhone "nano" will be released this year, there are only five months to work with. 2+2=... Still don't get it?

This "reputable" source is full of s***.
  • Reply 5 of 125
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Finally some actual rumors.

Would you listen to yourself?!

Anyway, this is great news... er, rumor.
  • Reply 6 of 125
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

okay, I'll bite.

Apple announced the iPhone five months early so that the FCC wouldn't trump their announcement. I think that the final approval for the iPhone was at the beginning of June, so it really did take five months to approve. If iPhone "nano" will be released this year, there are only five months to work with. 2+2=... Still don't get it?

This "reputable" source is full of shit.

No, it doesn't take 5 months. It just appears that way based on when filings are actually published. Several iPhone approvals granted in May were not actually submitted until the second week of March. And please watch your language on these boards. We have many younger members.

Thanks,

K
  • Reply 7 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The move is believed to be part of a broader, all-out blitz on the consumer electronics sector this holiday shopping season, in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

Interesting... Are we talking updates to existing products (iPod/iPhone/ATV/etc.) or do they have something new up their collective sleeves?
  • Reply 8 of 125
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I always knew that the rotary dialer was just too cool of a concept to die.

I wrote in this very forum last year that this would be the way to do it. People laughed at me and said I was crazy. Crazy like a Steve, I guess.

Unfortunately, this won't increase the iPhone market to include me. So long as it remains AT&T, I'm not getting one, period. Dammit, Apple, where's that stinkin' widescreen Video iPod with WiFi and Safari?
  • Reply 9 of 125
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    If this is true, they just spit in the face of Apples' most loyal customers.
  • Reply 10 of 125
    so if it's technically not the iPhone that was launched in June, do ALL future (within 5 yrs) Apple cell-phone based products remain under the evil empire of AT&T? Even if it's a smaller/cheaper grade of phone?
  • Reply 11 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Uh, no they didn't. They would be completely different devices. I for one would have absolute zero interest in an iPhone nano as described here.
  • Reply 12 of 125
    Quote:

Yeah, it sucked when they released the iPod nano. It took me a couple of years to stop hating Apple.

Even today, I still punch people who are wearing them, as I can't direct my rage to the Apple Engineering & Marketing teams.
  • Reply 13 of 125
    Quote:

Uh. No.
  • Reply 14 of 125
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Even today, I still punch people who are wearing them, as I can't direct my rage to the Apple Engineering & Marketing teams.

Can you describe what you look like so my son and daughter can avoid you?
  • Reply 15 of 125
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    if this is true i'm on it in a second!
  • Reply 16 of 125
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Heres a random prediction.

Before Christmas, we'll see:

- A cheap iPhone nano, say $100 more than the existing iPod Nano

- A price reduction of the iPhone (not much)

- A 3G iPhone

- A new iPod

- A new iPod Nano

- A new iMac design

- Launch in Europe ()

- Lots of happyness

Also, we might see new MacBook (Pro) designs at some point, probably not this year though.

Pure speculation
  • Reply 17 of 125
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Several iPhone approvals granted in May were not actually submitted until the second week of March.

I didn't even realise that the iPhone had "several" approvals to go through. Does this mean that some of the required approvals did take five months and some didn't? Seems to me that the so-called iPhone nano would have to go through the same process. Unless you're saying that Apple didn't submit the iPhone for FCC approval until March, I don't see your point.

But we'll see if this does turn out. And by your word, the approval process is at least 6 weeks long, so the likelihood is that we'll know fairly soon. I'm still not buying it.
  • Reply 18 of 125
    commun5commun5 Posts: 36member
    You're a little late on this rumor. Reuters started circulating it on July 9. It's been pretty firmly quashed by now.

NEW YORK, July 9 (Reuters) - Apple Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

Not only would it be the dumbest marketing decision in the history of Apple (and there have been some doozies) because the new phone as described would be no more desirable than the failed Motorola RAZR, but recirculating these kinds of rumors just hurts Apple and helps Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, LG, Sony-Ericsson, Verizon, Sprint, et al. by engendering FUD among potential purchasers of iPhone.

Is that what you wanted to do? Aren't there plenty of Apple-positive rumors you could make up instead? Do you want to compete for hits with CNET, Computerworld, ZDNet, and all of the other Apple-negative sites?
  • Reply 19 of 125
    xoloxxolox Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Heres a random prediction.

Before Christmas, we'll see:

- Launch in Europe ()

What about a launch in Canada? I hope this happens within the next few months
  • Reply 20 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Finally some actual rumors. I'm sick of "analyst" predictions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Would you listen to yourself?!

Uhh... am I missing something?

I come to this site to get dirt, not read regurgitated analyst reports.

I'm not saying I believe this necsisarily... just that it's nice to read a RUMOR once in a while.

Gets my tech-lust blood flowing again.

-Clive