S&P downgrades Apple shares to "Hold' on valuation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Citing risk-reward considerations, analysts for Standard and Poor's Equity Research cut their rating on shares of Apple Inc. to "Hold" early Monday.

"We believe Apple's fundamentals remain strong on market-share gains in desktops and laptops, success with digital-media players and software, and notable inroads in the smartphone category," wrote analyst Scott Kessler.

As a result of these successes, the analyst said he believes Apple should trade at a greater premium to the price/earnings-to-growth rate of the S&P 500 Technology Sector. He therefore raised his 12-month target price on shares of the Cupertino-based company to $155 from $135.

Simultaniously, however, Kessler hedged long-term bets on the stock by cutting his rating to a "Hold."

"We think our downgrade is warranted by risk-reward considerations, especially with expectations high and Apple scheduled to report June-Q results on Wednesday," he wrote.

In late May, Standard & Poor's announced that Apple had joined its prestigious S&P 100 index of big blue-chip companies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Tee hee! Silly analysts!

Let's see what drjjones has to say about this...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing risk-reward considerations, analysts for Standard and Poor's Equity Research cut their rating on shares of Apple Inc. to "Hold" early Monday.

"We believe Apple's fundamentals remain strong on market-share gains in desktops and laptops, success with digital-media players and software, and notable inroads in the smartphone category," wrote analyst Scott Kessler.

As a result of these successes, the analyst said he believes Apple should trade at a greater premium to the price/earnings-to-growth rate of the S&P 500 Technology Sector. He therefore raised his 12-month target price on shares of the Cupertino-based company to $155 from $135.

Simultaniously, however, Kessler hedged long-term bets on the stock by cutting his rating to a "Hold."

"We think our downgrade is warranted by risk-reward considerations, especially with expectations high and Apple scheduled to report June-Q results on Wednesday," he wrote.

In late May, Standard & Poor's announced that Apple had joined its prestigious S&P 100 index of big blue-chip companies.

I think you need to look at their rating by StarMine analyst and see their accuracy at judging right was 10 percent of the time on judging recommendations on AAPL. That means they were WRONG 90 percent of the time lol on AAPL. Not a good record .
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

I think you need to look at their rating by StarMine analyst and see their accuracy at judging right was 10 percent of the time on judging recommendations on AAPL. That means they were WRONG 90 percent of the time lol on AAPL. Not a good record .

Somehow I knew you'd be right on top of this one...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Somehow I knew you'd be right on top of this one...

New good news...Kardstadt stores will sell the iphone in Germany late this year... the stores hope by Christmas .No announced carrier yet . Onward and upward.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Tee hee! Silly analysts!

Let's see what drjjones has to say about this...

You called that one. I don't even recognize this poster's name.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

New good news...Kardstadt stores will sell the iphone in Germany late this year... the stores hope by Christmas .No announced carrier yet . Onward and upward.

Aha! There's a bump in AAPL... possibly due to this news...

Y'know, it would be really cool if AI were to cook up a floating chat tool to discuss AAPL matters... it works really well on www.icompositions.com and would be better suited to the moment-by-moment fluctuations in the stock market versus the "think/write/post/wait-for-response" time frames inherent in bulletin boards...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Y'know, it would be really cool if AI were to cook up a floating chat tool to discuss AAPL matters... it works really well on www.icompositions.com and would be better suited to the moment-by-moment fluctuations in the stock market versus the "think/write/post/wait-for-response" time frames inherent in bulletin boards...

Agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    I think some of these people exist just to "apply the brakes" when the proverbial "They" feel like a stock is moving up too quickly . . .

Reality is not always a factor.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Y'know, it would be really cool if AI were to cook up a floating chat tool to discuss AAPL matters..

That would be great!!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I have a humble suggestion for AI: Instead of this minute-by-minute set of analyst updates, why don't you guys please just provide us a once-a-week heads-up along the lines of "Here's what happened on the analyst front this week....".

Most of us here are not trading AAPL based on AI's updates of analyst recommendations (heaven help those who are......).

There are SO MANY investing-type forums where this sort of drivel is constantly hyperventilated upon. Why does AI have to stoop to this, and just add to the noise-to-signal ratio?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I'm OK with reporting what the analysts are saying. I tend to disagree with most of it, but it's our choice to discuss or not.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I'm OK with reporting what the analysts are saying. I tend to disagree with most of it, but it's our choice to discuss or not.

I am "OK" with it too, and it is fun stuff in small measure. It is just that the frequency of it makes it feels like Gresham's Law is at work .....
  • Reply 13 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

How? It looks like another paid service.

http://yahoo.starmine.com/?page_set=login

Mac Rumors has an analyst tracker, but how to get to it is anything but obvious, I forget how to find it.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Oops, double post.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    What's ridiculous is that the 12-month target still has a low end of $135, below the current price. I can see shares dropping if earnings aren't as spectacular as expected Wednesday, but does anyone actually think they could be below $140 at the end of the year?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Most analusts are akin to horse race track touts. They're right about one third of the time ,if that, and not worth reporting. If AI wants to provide some real financial insight, report on what hard core, cut-throat stock and option trader/investors like Eric Bolling and Pete Najerian (or pick your own guy) are doing. They have their finger on the pulse of the market. These guys live and die by actual trading and investing in stocks. They don't live in walnut adorned offices spouting kaka about stock XYZ, usually after the fact, i.e. Apple's target price is $135 after it has already gone thru $140, The Shawn Wu's of the world would go broke if they actuallly had to trade for a living. Please AI, spare us the meaningless ramblings of Tom/Dick/Harry "Analyst".
  • Reply 17 of 26
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Most of us here are not trading AAPL based on AI's updates of analyst recommendations (heaven help those who are......).

LOL! It really is unbelievable how VERY bad these so called 'expert' analysts are.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potterhead4 View Post

What's ridiculous is that the 12-month target still has a low end of $135, below the current price. I can see shares dropping if earnings aren't as spectacular as expected Wednesday, but does anyone actually think they could be below $140 at the end of the year?

There are plenty. If there weren't, then Apple wouldn't be at 143 right now. It would be far higher. Remember for every buyer there is a seller out there. It certainly may seem like Apple can do nothing but go up, but at some point everyone who wants to own Apple will own all they want to own, and at that point, the people selling will start to make progress. I'm very worried that the stock might go down after earnings, no matter how good the are. I think the market has already assumed a huge earnings blowout, and if that's the case, then there's really nothing Apple can do to push its stock higher during the earnings report.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

There are plenty. If there weren't, then Apple wouldn't be at 143 right now. It would be far higher. Remember for every buyer there is a seller out there. It certainly may seem like Apple can do nothing but go up, but at some point everyone who wants to own Apple will own all they want to own, and at that point, the people selling will start to make progress. I'm very worried that the stock might go down after earnings, no matter how good the are. I think the market has already assumed a huge earnings blowout, and if that's the case, then there's really nothing Apple can do to push its stock higher during the earnings report.

I beg to strongly disagree. No one knows for sure what AT&T is paying Apple per phone and per contract. This will whet your appetite.

http://www.thestreet.com/_htmlatb/ne.../10369581.html

"People close to the companies tell TheStreet.com that AT&T is paying Apple a bounty of between $150 and $200 per phone -- plus $9 a month per phone over the life of the typical two-year customer contract."

If these numbers are close to reality, no one has them baked into the current price.An upside surprise would not be impossible on earnings day. Watch for high volume and look to see if there are high number upside block trades which would indicate Hedge Fund and Institutional buys.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I beg to strongly disagree. No one knows for sure what AT&T is paying Apple per phone and per contract.

Exactly. But there are plenty of people out there that readily believe the most optimistic view. And that's why the stock has gone up so much in the past few months. If that amount isn't true, then SOMEBODY is going to be disappointed and sell.

Quote:

If these numbers are close to reality, no one has them baked into the current price.An upside surprise would not be impossible on earnings day. Watch for high volume and look to see if there are high number upside block trades which would indicate Hedge Fund and Institutional buys.

What, you think you're the only person who read that article today? Gee, why didn't the stock go up 10% when it hit? Maybe it's already baked in? Nah! The market's dumb and only people who read AI know how great Apple is doing right now!

Want to buy my shares for 160 in 3 weeks?