Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 321 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fluidinclusion View Post

I think the new iMac will look like this:

http://www.gateway.com/programs/profile6/

That's been around a while. When I first saw it, it took me a long, long time to convince myself that it was real, and that it wasn't a model from a couple of decades ago.
  • Reply 322 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That beast is truly hideous.

That looks like a VCR from 1986 turned on its side. Scary.
  • Reply 323 of 564
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Wow, that is the ugliest computer I have ever seen.
  • Reply 324 of 564
    That thing looks like a cash register.
  • Reply 325 of 564
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    So the gateway looks ugly as sin without a doubt, but the idea is similar to an idea i have for a MBP docking system - hear me out before you cry out "No not the MBP Dock again!!" ;-)

I would really love a 22" apple cinema display with a bracket of some kind on the back with the relevant connectors at the bottom for the left hand side of the MBP to slot down onto to. (I.e. the MBP would sit lengthways in the bracket) You would just take your closed, sleeping MBP and slide it into the slot at the back of the screen and instantly have an desktop Mac. The screen could have extra USB, Firwire, Ethernet etc.. on the back, even another DVI for a second screen.

I think it would be a killer display and i would buy one tomorrow, it would be better than an iMac.
  • Reply 326 of 564
    Quote:

Right now the only advantage that an iMac has over a MBP is cost and perhaps reliability.

Those are two big ones in my household. I want the most bang for the buck.
  • Reply 327 of 564
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Heh... where to start?

Let's say you do any of the following:

- Attend a lot of conferences and conventions

- Travel a lot

- Go to a lot of business meetings

- Like using your computer in any room in the house

When I worked at an office, I carried my PowerBook to work every day. That way I could have all my data with me, and I could use programs I only had installed on my PowerBook. I could also carry lots of data back and forth easily.

When I went to friends' houses, I could bring my computer to show and share pictures and movies.

And yes, I took the PowerBook to the coffee shop as well.

None of these strike me as bizarre or pretentious uses of technology. Sure, they could all be circumvented by some combination of flash drives, notepads, memo recorders, and shrugging of shoulders, but... why?

Yeah, I see your point. I guess I live in a different world. My job doesn't require travel and I don't need all that electronic stuff in my day to day life. My students are all decked out in designer clothes, iPods, iPhones, bling-bling, etc. I grew up in a different era and I feel weighted down just carrying a cellphone.
  • Reply 328 of 564
    double post
  • Reply 329 of 564
    Quote:

Its unique design is streamlined, simple and clutter-free

umm... I'll agree that it's unique... but the rest of it is... ummm... what's the word for it... .

That is a HUGE stretch on reality by their marketing team.

Its unique design is hideous, ugly, and repulsive.

Warning: Do not let people under the age of 12 or those with heart and respiratory conditions view this... thing, as it can lead to eye gouging and death.
  • Reply 330 of 564
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

You simply don't see the need to change your computing venue. Other people see it as a critical need.

Your right. See my answer to nevenmrgan.
  • Reply 331 of 564
    I have a suggestion, in case anyone at Apple is reading this:

While I realize it's generally a sign of weakness to mention your competition (although MS is typically mentioned anyway), actually SHOWING the Gateway Profile 6 when the new iMac is revealed would be GREAT. Think of how the media would run with this!
  • Reply 332 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Too complex? I'm not sure I catch your drift there. Expensive yes. Apple's lineup minimizes the cost difference between laptops and desktops by not having budget desktop models and by having attractively priced MB. Is it any wonder MBs are the best selling Mac?

While I don't see desktops going away, they support the low and performance ends of the market, I think laptops will continue to expand market share vs. desktops. As you have pointed out yourself, iMacs are powerful enough for all but the most demanding users. Like Vinea said what can an iMac do that a MBP can't'? Maybe that'll change on Tuesday and you can point out the differences. But today there really isn't any difference. Not having multiple machines in which to sync files is a very nice advantage of having just one machine (laptop). Syncing is just as big a pain in the ass as backing up and as you've pointed out most people are lazy about backing up.

When WiMax arrives I think laptops will be even more appealing as broadband access will be ubiquitous. Right now the only advantage that an iMac has over a MBP is cost and perhaps reliability.

did you read his posts?

If you did, you would see that in oder to make a laptop replace a desktop, even he is saying that, at the minimum, you will need to buy a keyboard and larger monitor. Then there is his non existent dock that you will need, and it goes on from there.
  • Reply 333 of 564
    Quote:

OK. I don't agree but now I see where he's coming from.

No matter how you look at it (pun zone!), a 17" laptop isn't a repacement for a bigger monitor. And I don't know anyone who actually prefers using the touchpad to a mouse or trackball, and few who prefer the keyboards, or the lack of adjustability. Or, the fact that the monitor and keyboard are fixed to each other, so that when one is in the right spot, the other isn't.

And the same complaint that when the computer is too old, you have to get a new (built-in) monitor with it. That's certainly no better than the iMac, and even worse than the Mini.
  • Reply 334 of 564
    Quote:

That beast is truly hideous.

It's a GTW, what did you expect?

The beauty of their all-in-one:

Another one:

http://www.referenceguide.com/review...ayprofile4.htm

Scarily enough, there were more!
  • Reply 335 of 564
    Won't this be the 10th anniversary of the iMac? Don't you think Apple might update the iMac and celebrate it as the machine's 10th anniversary?
  • Reply 336 of 564
    you know what i just realised? i thought to myself, why would the new imac keyboard have a time machine button when tiger doesnt even have time machine? seeing as the new imacs will be coming out pre installed with tiger. but then again mabye the button isnt for time machine! D:
  • Reply 337 of 564
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a GTW, what did you expect?

The beauty of their all-in-one:

Another one:

http://www.referenceguide.com/review...ayprofile4.htm

Scarily enough, there were more!

I can't believe people still argue that Macs are more expensive than PCs when this piece of junk costs just as much as a 17" iMac but without the Superdrive, half the RAM, half the hard drive space, none of the famously popular Apple software (iLife, etc.) and 3-4 times the footprint!

We need a side-by-side comparison team (Schiller) to point this one out again.

With an iMac update, the differences will only become more glaring and surely will create a new crop of excited switchers.

Can't wait.
  • Reply 338 of 564
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

You would just take your closed, sleeping MBP and slide it into the slot at the back of the screen and instantly have an desktop Mac.

The inherent problem with any such docking solution is that you basically pay for a second LCD without ever being able to use two screens at the same time:

- with the MBP docked its internal screen is wasted.

- with the MBP taken out the docking station's screen is wasted.

Same applies to the keyboard. You end up buying two keyboards where you can only ever use one at a time. Although it is a much less expensive component.

This whole solution just gets more expensive with less bang for your buck.

And that's IMHO why these never caught on.

If on the other hand you attach a second LCD on the side you can use your MBP's internal LCD to extend your screen real estate.

The ideal docking station allows both screens to be active at the same time and doesn't require you to buy a second keyboard.

Not sure how such a thing would work physically though...

But everything else is just expensive for the added use you get.
  • Reply 339 of 564
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

you know what i just realised? i thought to myself, why would the new imac keyboard have a time machine button when tiger doesnt even have time machine? seeing as the new imacs will be coming out pre installed with tiger. but then again mabye the button isnt for time machine! D:

It's called preparing for the near future.
  • Reply 340 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Help me out here.

I’ve been listening to you guys argue throughout this thread, and I’m mystified. I’m probably too dense or something. I don’t understand why some users prefer laptops. Where do they use them? Driving to work? At Starbucks? Sitting in the park? Bouncing around on a commuter train? Do they take them on trips or on vacation?

I’ve taught at a local college for over 18 years, know many faculty and staff, and know only one who has a laptop – and it’s a very old one.- the laptop, not the professor.

All the IT’s have a desktop at home and use desktops at work. The IT’s who had had them have given up laptops and now carry a USB drive back and forth to work. I had lunch today with two Engineering and Computer Department PHD’s from Florida International Univ. Our discussions revolved around desktops and workstations. Neither of them would consider a laptop.

I bought a laptop (PC) a bunch of years ago. With all the paraphernalia, sleeves, and such, I might as well have been toting around a desktop. Opening and closing it with all those accoutrements was sheer agony. I hated the keyboard and the small screen. I was not productive at all. (I now have two 22" displays and find that's minimal.)

That PC lasted me four weeks before I gave it to my daughter. She used it for a few months, dropped it, and that was the end of the laptop. We never even considered getting it repaired.

Please set me straight. What am I missing?

Don't know what college you teach at but many of the top universities in the US (ie Harvard and others) require incoming freshmen to have laptops. Many schools (including primary and secondary) have carts full of notebooks that can be whisked into any classroom at a moment's notice.

Personally, I have been in education for over 15 years and honestly cannot dream of not having a notebook. First and foremost, I often give presentations in class; I teach in about 15 different locations each week and thus it would be rather difficult to lug my PowerMac around with me. In class, I use the isight to have students make short recordings for later evaluation and record-keeping; I am an EFL teacher and it is very useful to have records of how the students improve over time. After class, I can run up to the library to do some research and type directly into my machine; pencil and paper are a thing of the past and I do not need to retype anything.

Once or twice and month I attend a conference of some kind and use the MBP to take notes. As I use mindmapping software, I don't actually need to type that much, just a few keywords. Again, I never have to waste time retyping things later.

When I go on a road trip, I carry along my MBP so I can get work done on the train. I can listen to student videos, review my classes, and grade papers (many of which are submitted via email).

My MBP produces Keynote presentations and videos for my class; I have used it to write and print an entire 120-page textbook; I have used it to make an entire listening CD for my EFL class, from recording to sound editing to adding background noises to mastering the final CD... I even used it once to make 12 copies of a CD for a special class that I was invited to teach while visiting another school - it took a couple of hours but the class was a success; it edits a lot of my photos, and does tons of other things.

In short, as an educator and student, I feel that the laptop is invaluable.

Sure, I have a desktop at home and at work, but the laptop is my real workhorse, and it is more than capable.