Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Inc. is gathering analysts and members of the media for a Mac-related press event to be held at the company's headquarters in Cupertino on Tuesday, August 7th, AppleInsider has been told.

Unlike past events in which the company drafted and issued digital invitations through e-mail, word of next week's event was initially spread Tuesday afternoon via phone calls from Apple's media relations personnel.

AppleInsider was told, and Gizmodo confirms, that the event will be restricted exclusively to Mac announcements. In speaking to journalists by phone, Apple representatives were reportedly very clear in expressing that no iPhone or iPod product announcements were in the cards.

The event will begin at 10:00 am PDT at the Apple Town Hall on the company's Cupertino-based campus -- the same venue used for the introduction of the Intel-based Mac mini and iPod Hi-Fi last February. Once again, seating is said to be extremely limited.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is widely expected to use the gathering to take the wraps off a new generation of 20- and 24-inch iMacs, which were first detailed back in March and later pinpointed for a release in late-July/early-August. It was also reported by AppleInsider in recent weeks that each new iMac would come bundled with a new super-slim keyboard, purported photos of which subsequently turned up on the web.

Jobs is also more than likely to use Tuesday's event to provide demonstrations of the company's long-awaited iLife '08 and iWork '08 software suites.

The Apple Town Hall Auditorium

Comments

• Reply 1 of 564
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    New iMacs?

Mac mini Pro?

Ultra-portable?

Count-down...no sleep... arghhh...

Where's Suni when we need him?
  • Reply 2 of 564
    empezarempezar Posts: 1member
    i'm hoping new mac pros
  • Reply 3 of 564
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. is gathering analysts and members of the media for a Mac-related press event to be held at the company's headquarters in Cupertino on Tuesday, August 7th, AppleInsider has been told.

Confirmed by Jupiter Research's Michael Gartenberg.

Quote:

Just got a call that there's going to be an Apple announcement next Tuesday in Cupertino. Very interesting. I'll be out on the West Coast so I'll be sure to stop by and bring you all the news. Let the speculation begin.

• Reply 4 of 564
    New Mac Pros? Why? Theres no need for that. New iMacs and new ultra-portables is what we should be hoping for. And maybe, but almost definetely not, a mid-range tower. New ACDs too probably with integrated iSight. Also a serious revamping of the mac mini or total elimination of it.

also i hear Powerbook G5s should be making there debut too.
  • Reply 5 of 564
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    One of the first questions for any new Mac introduction should be how are those things going to be supported. The sales and marketing people certainly aren't going to be paying any attention to serviceability. Computer salespeople are just like used car salespeople-- they only care about collecting the customer's money and if there are any service issues, just dump it on the technicians. That's what the salespeople at CompUSA, Best Buy and every other store do.
  • Reply 6 of 564
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by empezar View Post

i'm hoping new mac pros

Ditto.
  • Reply 7 of 564
    My guess goes for the iMac; possibly the pasture for the Mini, possibly (eh?) a MacBook update. Though, I'd love to see a renewed commitment to the Mini, I'm not convinced Apple cares about it anymore.

Could be some price changes to reflect Intel component pricing as well, but again I'm not holding my breath on that.
  • Reply 8 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    finallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new iMacs!
  • Reply 9 of 564
    age234age234 Posts: 27member
    Great, iWork '08. I just bought iWork '06 last week...

Oh well, life happens.
  • Reply 10 of 564
    Well, they have to rollover into new lines or kill items in the entire mac line by January so that they meet EnergyStar specs. Might as well start now.
  • Reply 11 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age234 View Post

Great, iWork '08. I just bought iWork '06 last week...

Oh well, life happens.

Seriously? You do realize we are halfway through '07...
  • Reply 12 of 564
    age234age234 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Seriously? You do realize we are halfway through '07...

Well, I had it preinstalled on my 24" iMac I ordered...

Just kidding, it was on my MacBook. I'm not too bent out of shape about it, though. I can't say I'm surprised.
  • Reply 13 of 564
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i bet it's to get part of that huge back to school crowd.....
  • Reply 14 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it just the product (macs) ready or $10 stock price initiated this Event?, well good to see new iMacs soon.

Leopard coupon and new iMac will be sweet for holiday season.
  • Reply 15 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    So the big question: will it be iMac only, or some other Mac too?

That the iMac will receive a major overhaul is a given, but, will we see an ultra-portable and/or, dare I say it, a mini-tower?

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed in that it'll be just the iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 564
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I also find it interesting that TODAY of all days, I recieved an APPLE SURVEY regarding the APPLE TV. I bought it the day after it came out. Anybody else get this Survey?

I think we'll see some demonstrations of the new imacs and macbooks (macbook pros), but nothing new will probably be available yet.

I'll hold my breath until then.
  • Reply 17 of 564
    No new iPod? That sucks ass.

I'm expecting:

*Alu enclosed iMacs.

*Santa Rossa Macbooks.

....................................and hopefully the new iPod G6.
  • Reply 18 of 564
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I also find it interesting that TODAY of all days, I recieved an APPLE SURVEY regarding the APPLE TV. I bought it the day after it came out. Anybody else get this Survey?

I think we'll see some demonstrations of the new imacs and macbooks (macbook pros), but nothing new will probably be available yet.

I'll hold my breath until then.

I didn't get the survey. They are going to have to move soon on this, but Steve did describe the Apple TV as a hobby. They really need to get HD video soon to make it a viable platform. They also need to start making some alliances, UTube is OK but it isn't family entertainment and in the long run I don't think that it helps with any demographic other than the 20 somethings. Video Rentals would go a long way as well. However, I don't think that the timing is right for AppleTV announcements yet, September/October would be better to get the news out and keep it fresh in time for the holiday shopping season.

For those that say the Mac Pro is not in need of an update remember that with the exception of the recently added high end tier it is the same computer that was announced last August at the same price points. That isn't to say that I think that they will update it now. I think that the iMac is a better bet. based off of the "silent" upgrades to the Mac line that they have done this year I would not put it past Apple to announce the iMac and either the MacBook or Mini updates at the same time.
  • Reply 19 of 564
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    new imacs, w00t!
  • Reply 20 of 564
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    just in time for back to school.