Apple developing configurable multi-touch gesture dictionary

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Here comes the iTablet G5 with moulditouch on Tuesday 8/7/2007.

Bring it on. LOL

G5??? What is THAT!??

--

I dont think multitouch would be fit to enter an iMac as it is... (of course, we don't know its "new" shape just yet)

im betting on a multitouch peripheral. i.e: multitouch keyboard?

it just seems more logical to keep your hands on a keyboardy position, not so much "up in the monitor".

But we'll find out sooner or later. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    This would be truly useful only if the gesture library could be user-configurable; I have several gestures I have practiced my entire life that I would like to use to, for example, delete spam or discard a pop-up window.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir

If they add method to select a piece of text (or maybe this exists already on the iPhone), then they have a way now to implement copy/paste on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I take it you didn't look at the images?

I read that differently. I thought that was just a sarcastic remark about the need to copy and paste on iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Let's all remember that the iMac is kind of Apple's "flagship" Mac. It was the first to get the Intel processors and has been first for many other things. I'm thinking it's VERY possible that we're going to get an iMac Tuesday with some kind of multitouch technology built in. What it would be used for, I don't know, but it could be cool.

Nobody is getting their greasy mitts on my screen that's for sure. Interestingly the patent doesn't mention monitors and desktop computers, just portable devices, and that's where it belongs.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    I think this smells like a Tuesday event. Have you seen the video of the guy who invented multitouch? Impressive. This will be good for artists too.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nobody is getting their greasy mitts on my screen that's for sure. Interestingly the patent doesn't mention monitors and desktop computers, just portable devices, and that's where it belongs.

I don't know, I think a software configurable keyboard could be useful. If it were multitouch, the letters on the keyboard could be reconfigurable through software so that if you were typing in Spanish for example, you would have the characters that you need such as accents, tildes and upside down question marks, etc. They would just automatically appear in a context sensitive way.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Just to correct myself, the patent does mention desktop computers explicitly even though AppleInsider omitted that.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

I think this smells like a Tuesday event. Have you seen the video of the guy who invented multitouch? Impressive. This will be good for artists too.

Jeff Han didn't invent it either.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know, I think a software configurable keyboard could be useful. If it were multitouch, the letters on the keyboard could be reconfigurable through software so that if you were typing in Spanish for example, you would have the characters that you need such as accents, tildes and upside down question marks, etc. They would just automatically appear in a context sensitive way.

Nothing to do with this patent though which is about a multi-touch gesture based interface.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Just to correct myself, the patent does mention desktop computers explicitly even though AppleInsider omitted that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an apparent bid to extend the use of its multi-touch technology to devices other than iPhone, Apple in a new patent filing discusses the concept of a software-based multi-touch gesture dictionary that would let users to assign custom multi-touch finger movements to computer actions.

"Many expect that the use of multi-finger, touch-sensitive user interfaces will become widely adopted for interacting with computers and other electronic devices, allowing computer input to become even more straightforward and intuitive," Apple wrote in the January 3, 2007 filing.

"Users of these multi-touch interfaces may make use of hand and finger gestures to interact with their computers in ways that a conventional mouse and keyboard cannot easily achieve. A multi-touch gesture can be as simple as using one or two fingers to trace out a particular trajectory or pattern, or as intricate as using all the fingers of both hands in a complex sequence of movements reminiscent of American Sign Language."

The Cupertino-based electronics maker further explains that each motion of the hands and fingers, whether complex or not, would convey a specific meaning or action that is acted upon by the computer or electronic device at the behest of the user:

"The number of multi-touch gestures can be quite large because of the wide range of possible motions by fingers and hands. It is conceivable that an entirely new gesture language might evolve that would allow users to convey complex meaning and commands to computers and electronic devices by moving their hands and fingers in particular patterns."

Sure they never said the word "desktop" but does that really matter?
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:

That's just inaccurate. The patent goes out its way to mention computers. You like many others here will be proved wrong over time. There's nothing to love about mice or keyboard. I would welcome multi-touch into my life and don't care for 'tactile' feedback. I think what you are missing is that while they mention computer they don't mention monitors because that's not the part that's getting the touch-screen, it's the keyboard that's getting the touch-screen. On the screens of tablets however, that's a different matter though. The tablet would be just like the iPhone with a pop-up keyboard when needed. Say goodbye to laptops I say, eventually.

Quote:

"Users of these multi-touch interfaces may make use of hand and finger gestures to interact with their computers in ways that a conventional mouse and keyboard cannot easily achieve."

• Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:

Nothing to do with this patent though which is about a multi-touch gesture based interface.

Very well then you could use a gesture to switch it to another configuration. The point is that anything is possible once you remove the physical keys and go multitouch.

m
  • Reply 33 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I remember all the articles about how mice would never catch on, and what a terrible idea it was.

"You have to take a hand off the keyboard", they said.

"You then have to look for a menu, find the command you need, and then press the button", they said.

"You then have to bring your hand back to the keyboard", they said.

"It's much easier to remember a two or three key command for these things so you don't waste time and effort moving your hand, and eyes", they said.

They were right. The mouse never caught on.

We're getting the same thing now with those opposed to multiTouch.

Greasy hands on the keyboard or mouse, same thing as on the monitor, except that the monitor is vastly easier to clean. And, not everyone has dirty hands most of the time.

Much easier making gestures on a screen than using a mouse or keyboard.

People will get used to it, and wonder how we did without, just like the mouse (and trackball, which I prefer).
  • Reply 34 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There are things I like, and many things I don't like about multi-touch. One thing I don't like is the idea that my fingertips would be the components that would be wearing down, vs. the bottom of the mouse, or the nib of the wireless pen. Anyone consider this? Imagine the calluses from working on the multiMac(TM) 12 hours a day...
  • Reply 35 of 69
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple seems to be going much further though. Mentor's concept was just for specific usage. Apple is using this as a general user input device interface. Not what Mentor envisioned. Also using an older patented idea for a newer purpose can be justified. It depends on the new restrictions about that use just handed down from the Supreme Court.

And hopefully these patents get thrown out under the obviousness test. There isn't a gesture interface without a dictionary of gestures that translate gestures into computer action.

If Apple locked down gestures it would have a massive chilling effect as if they had managed to patent the GUI...or Xerox did. I'm all for IP but these patents are pretty obvious for the practioner.

Gee...I have a set of gestures...how do I train the user? How do I let the user associate a gesture to an action? I guess I need a diagram and show them how it works and let them build new gestures and gee...I should store these things somewhere...how about a database (dictionary) of gestures?

I doubt Apple will push these patents into the Peer Review program but rather hope to get a clueless examiner.

Vinea
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There are things I like, and many things I don't like about multi-touch. One thing I don't like is the idea that my fingertips would be the components that would be wearing down, vs. the bottom of the mouse, or the nib of the wireless pen. Anyone consider this? Imagine the calluses from working on the multiMac 12 hours a day...

• Reply 37 of 69
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Apple needs to drop multi-touch and invent Thought-Touch, you think and it moves!
  • Reply 38 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You heard it here first, folks... multiMac.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

And hopefully these patents get thrown out under the obviousness test. There isn't a gesture interface without a dictionary of gestures that translate gestures into computer action.

If Apple locked down gestures it would have a massive chilling effect as if they had managed to patent the GUI...or Xerox did. I'm all for IP but these patents are pretty obvious for the practioner.

Gee...I have a set of gestures...how do I train the user? How do I let the user associate a gesture to an action? I guess I need a diagram and show them how it works and let them build new gestures and gee...I should store these things somewhere...how about a database (dictionary) of gestures?

I doubt Apple will push these patents into the Peer Review program but rather hope to get a clueless examiner.

Vinea

We'll have to see. We're not going to get patents like this passed anymore if they aren't much stronger than they had to be before the new rules were handed down.

If they deserve the patent(s), then they should get them. If they don't, then they shouldn't. Neither you or I can claim that we know enough about the field to have the last word on it.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:

I remember all the articles about how mice would never catch on, and what a terrible idea it was.

"You have to take a hand off the keyboard", they said.

"You then have to look for a menu, find the command you need, and then press the button", they said.

"You then have to bring your hand back to the keyboard", they said.

"It's much easier to remember a two or three key command for these things so you don't waste time and effort moving your hand, and eyes", they said.

They were right. The mouse never caught on.

We're getting the same thing now with those opposed to multiTouch.

Greasy hands on the keyboard or mouse, same thing as on the monitor, except that the monitor is vastly easier to clean. And, not everyone has dirty hands most of the time.

Much easier making gestures on a screen than using a mouse or keyboard.

People will get used to it, and wonder how we did without, just like the mouse (and trackball, which I prefer).

I'm totally thinking about it like this.