ipod nano went through the wash

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
my 3 day old ipod nano went through the washer and dryer and suprise suprise guess what happened? so now, what are my options, is there any chance apple will replace it under warranty or will they know exactely what happened and refuse to replace it. this sucks real bad... should i try to return it at the electronics store or should i try and do it through apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would play dumb with the electronics store and try and get it exchanged. Say anything about putting it in the washer and you're toast, unless perhaps its insured. I'd expect someone could figure out what happened, but I doubt some random Best Buy guy will care.

Your're lucky its new.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    soulbowsoulbow Posts: 30member
    Make sure its dry, and return it as broken.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Dry it out next to a heater - but not too close - then tell the shop; "it's just not working anymore".
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Some of the advice sounds like aiding and abetting before the fact, but, hey, don't we all have a little larceny in our hearts. I've been bitten too many times by a broken product, days after the return policy expired. Yesterday, I took a broken (OfficeMax branded) shredder to OfficeMax and was told the return policy was 14 days and this was the 16th day, so they couldn't refund. In all fairness, they gave me a new shredder of the same model. However, since the first one broke so quickly, I find myself waiting for the other shoe to fall. I asked what the warranty was and was told ' one year' . I asked how I would get it resolved if the machine broke down during that year. The clerk's reply was a shrug. That being said, I find OfficeMax and Staples have better return policies than Office Depot and some of the other office supply stores. BTW, Staples has a great "rebate" system. They give you a register slip with a purchase number. Then you go online to one of their sites, fill out a form with the purchase info and purchase number. After 'submitting' the form, you get an instant confirmation and then an email that the rebate is in process. My last three rebates arrived in under two weeks. No paper forms to fill out and mail - hoping that they get the form, that they recognize it, and that all the 'i's' were dotted and all 'T's' crossed, and that you said, "Simon Says."

It may not be "us" against "them" , but it feels that way. It feels like that with any purchase from any store that I'm paying them to be 'their' "beta tester".

What other sad stories do you guys have? What stores do you avoid?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I have a similar problem now and I kind of don't know what to do. I was at a party and we started throwing people in the pool, while doing that, someone knocked me in, and my iPod was in my pocket. I got it November or December of last year I think, and I don't have the Applecare. What should I do?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I was at a party and we started throwing people in the pool, while doing that, someone knocked me in, and my iPod was in my pocket.

SNIP

What should I do?

Buy a new iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    no way of getting it fixed if i let it dry first?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

no way of getting it fixed if i let it dry first?

You can try, but don't be surprised if doesn't work right again.

If it'd been distilled water that's one thing. Chlorinated pool water could be fatal.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    since the warranty died with your ipod, you could:

-open it up

-disconnect the battery

-try to clean oxid (lighter fuel should do)

-let everything dry

-prey

-put back together

-prey again

-turn on
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I'm honestly quite disgusted at the number of suggestions made that you try and pretend it just broke.

Face it. You broke it. Be a man and take some responsibility for your actions. Getting it replaced under "warranty" is just as bad as shoplifting for a replacement.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm honestly quite disgusted at the number of suggestions made that you try and pretend it just broke.

Face it. You broke it. Be a man and take some responsibility for your actions. Getting it replaced under "warranty" is just as bad as shoplifting for a replacement.

Ditto!

You could always try the honest approach. Call Apple. Tell them what happened. Maybe they can fix it for you. Anything else is basically stealing. But that's just my opinion...
  • Reply 12 of 21
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

-prey

on whom?

----------

bbqtofu: I say you claim ignorance.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Ditto!

You could always try the honest approach. Call Apple. Tell them what happened. Maybe they can fix it for you. Anything else is basically stealing. But that's just my opinion...

So are bit-torrents, but you can't tell me that you don't take a wry pleasure out of sticking to the MPAA!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

So are bit-torrents, but you can't tell me that you don't take a wry pleasure out of sticking to the MPAA!

Well, that's different!

No, I really don't use them. The only thing that I'd really be interested in getting from torrents, is tv shows to play on my laptop in hotels. But those I can just buy from iTunes.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Well, that's different!

No, I really don't use them. The only thing that I'd really be interested in getting from torrents, is tv shows to play on my laptop in hotels. But those I can just buy from iTunes.

Or try this site. It's slightly more legal than a torrent.

http://tv-links.co.uk/
  • Reply 16 of 21
    wow sounds like a few people are pissed lol
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

wow sounds like a few people are pissed lol

No, it's just that those of use that produce media for a living can appreciate copyright laws and not breaking them. I pay for every song I put on my Macs/iPods because I want those artists to know that their music is valued enough to be compensated for it.

I pay for Apple software because I want Apple to remain as successful as it can be...and I'm not even a stockholder!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

No, it's just that those of use that produce media for a living can appreciate copyright laws and not breaking them. I pay for every song I put on my Macs/iPods because I want those artists to know that their music is valued enough to be compensated for it.

I pay for Apple software because I want Apple to remain as successful as it can be...and I'm not even a stockholder!

Umm, I produce media for a living...I PRODUCE music and it is sold worldwide, I am a graphic designer, and sell stock photography. I do pay for all my software, and everything else that I own. The fact is, accidents happen, and certain things can be done about it. I will call apple and see what they say about it.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I just got off the phone with them. Apparently, if I got a big bowl of rice and submerged the iPod in it, the rice would of absorbed the water...? Being that it did void my warranty, she said I can get an out of warranty replacement for 150 bucks. The question is, should I go for the replacement, or buy a shuffle and buy a new iPod if they come out in September?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

I just got off the phone with them. Apparently, if I got a big bowl of rice and submerged the iPod in it, the rice would of absorbed the water...? Being that it did void my warranty, she said I can get an out of warranty replacement for 150 bucks. The question is, should I go for the replacement, or buy a shuffle and buy a new iPod if they come out in September?

Why not just wait? It is September in about two weeks.