iPhone Touch Screen Dead Spots

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petruz View Post

I havent done anything yet.

Trying to some for some solutions on the web.

Seems like we have to send the phones to USA and pray for the best.

I'm from Iceland and I called Apple in USA and they told me that I had to have an American address to be able to get the phone back. Apparently they only send phones to locations inside the US. Rather lame.

I don't know how to get past that. Maybe some forwarding service or something? I don't know. I will probably end up fixing my phone myself.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    the top two row on my iphone is not responding anymore...it's all dead spot ..i'm just wondering what i should do?..can anyone answer me !!! thanx
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I have similar problems.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    So my phone was working perfectly and I was just raving about my phone to friends yesterday at a party. Today I have an entire dead spot which now does not even allow me to slide the phone open. I also have a lock on it so I can't sync with my computer so if it needs to be restored I will lose all my information. I called for help and the woman told me to reset it and then she told me that my warranty expired 23 days ago. She then said that if I had the Apple care protection plan that they would just send me out a new one. Well NO ONE EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THE APPLE CARE PROTECTION PLAN. We bought 2 Iphones from the Apple store and the guy told me that they don't offer phone insurance (even though I inquired about it) and he said we should just put them on our home owners insurance. I am LIVID! If I had known about this plan I would have purchased one for both of our phones. I mean we spent $800.00 in one day on two phones...what is another $140.00 for a protection plan? I now have an appointment at the store tomorrow and if they cannot fix my phone I am going to lay into the manager there. Every customer should be made aware of the plan. And if they can't fix my phone and want me to purchase a brand new Iphone after my warranty expired only 23 days ago I am going to flip and make this issue with the phones very public.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kalilama View Post

So my phone was working perfectly and I was just raving about my phone to friends yesterday at a party. Today I have an entire dead spot which now does not even allow me to slide the phone open. I also have a lock on it so I can't sync with my computer so if it needs to be restored I will lose all my information. I called for help and the woman told me to reset it and then she told me that my warranty expired 23 days ago. She then said that if I had the Apple care protection plan that they would just send me out a new one. Well NO ONE EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THE APPLE CARE PROTECTION PLAN. We bought 2 Iphones from the Apple store and the guy told me that they don't offer phone insurance (even though I inquired about it) and he said we should just put them on our home owners insurance. I am LIVID! If I had known about this plan I would have purchased one for both of our phones. I mean we spent $800.00 in one day on two phones...what is another $140.00 for a protection plan? I now have an appointment at the store tomorrow and if they cannot fix my phone I am going to lay into the manager there. Every customer should be made aware of the plan. And if they can't fix my phone and want me to purchase a brand new Iphone after my warranty expired only 23 days ago I am going to flip and make this issue with the phones very public.

If you explain your situation, and nicely, and calmly try and work with the manager / AppleCare reps. you will get a much more sympathetic and caring response. Call AppleCare and request to speak with customer relations. Explain your issue, and what you would like to see; ask if they can make an exception this once, or if you can buy AppleCare now even though you are technically past due. You know you have a valid issue that Apple should correct, so don't accept anything less; but be nice and calm the best you can. I would be very very disappointed as well spending $800 and getting a bad experience! Best of Luck.

-Cheers
  • Reply 26 of 42
    My wife and I have had our phones for just about 2 years and her's just got a dead spot... I was wondering what people have found with apple replacing the old iphone 2G, what the best way to approach the repair is, etc. We are out of warranty, and no apple care, but this is clearly a hardware problem that many many people have experienced.

I would really like to keep the old phone since it has the lower monthly plan and I don't see a reason based on the feature list to upgrade to either of the newer phones.

So - any stories/experiences on how to approach this best with apple? Either phone or instore.

Much thanks -

Chris
  • Reply 27 of 42
    I've just got the same problem and I'm sure the genius bar will want $199 to replace the phone. Anyone find out any other options?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Mine works perfect! For now.. Sorry for those with iPhones with dead pixels. I say get it exchanged.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Its the same with my 2G! When i try to Put in my pincode then it dosent work when i try to click ok.. I've went to a apple store and they said: "We cant repar it because you bought it at ebay" But i have the same problem please replay on my thead
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeetTM View Post

Its the same with my 2G! When i try to Put in my pincode then it dosent work when i try to click ok.. I've went to a apple store and they said: "We cant repar it because you bought it at ebay" But i have the same problem please replay on my thead

Recently had this problem....fixed it....actually opened the phone (2 screws loc @ the bottom..) and made sure the 2 of the 3 wires were securely fastened....worked like a charm....was very frustrated at first since my contract ended 1 yr ago with at&t...almost gave up on the phone after searching the entire web for a solution....hope it help anyone
  • Reply 31 of 42
    i quoted this from an earlier post because i'm having the exact same issue: "I am having this issue as of last night. The entire bottom row of buttons - Phone, Mail, Safari, and iPod - are non-responsive." it'a first generation iPhone (please stop laughing at me!?!?! . but this problem just began last night. there were signs of a breakdown before it became a full blown issue. i've never dropped it, never mistreated it (i value it like it's my wallet), but for some reason i'm not aware of, the problem has shown up. ANY info on how to fix this issue would be appreciated. i love my iPhone. as of now, i can barely text, AND, i have to have people call me to add new contacts (since the "0" button is in the dead area when adding contacts. not to mention that i can't just dial because the keypad is also located in this area. please, if you know, if or how to fix this, i'll be your bff. seriously, though, i want to try to get this fixed.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manicLA View Post

Thanks for your post -- I was starting to think I was the only one with this issue until I saw all the postings on Macrumors.

So to follow-up:

Went back to the Apple Store yesterday as planned.

They took it in for repair and gave me a loaner and charged me $30. Not sure how to tell which series the phone is, 5 or 7, but from the other forums it sounds as though that may be a factor. I can't imagine this is something that is easily repairable so think they might send me a new one ...

Either way it is a bummer on what is otherwise an amazing little device.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks.

Don't worry, the Apple Store should eventually take care of you with a replacement unit. They usually don't repair, they just issue a replacement unit. This unit may not be brand new (ie. it could be factory refurbished, etc.) so just check everything works and that there's no major cosmetic flaws.

My Home button became an annoying issue because it stopped responding in a usual way, and it would only happen once every 20 presses, but very frustrating nonetheless for, as you say, what is a remarkable product. It took one month for my telco in my country, but I just got my replacement iPhone 4 yesterday. Everything nice so far.

Good luck!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    prackprack Posts: 2member
    # Reset your iPhone Sometimes, ostensibly dead spots on the screen are merely the result of frozen applications or an unresponsive interface rather than actual hardware failure. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button (on the top of the unit) and the Home button simultaneously for several seconds until the Apple logo appears and check for persistence of the issue.

# Clean the screen It may sound trite, but a glaze of any foreign substance can cause operational difficulties for the iPhone?s screen. Clean the screen with the cleaning cloth that came in the box with the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Thanks for this post. I am having the same problem. I don't have a solution but it I come across one I'll be sure to post. I'm on my way to apple for help. Thanks
  • Reply 35 of 42

I have this problem too! And its getting really annoying. If you found out how to fix this please respond.

Thank youimage

• Reply 36 of 42

Screen protector quality may interfere possibly? Maybe something in the cheaper plastics of certain protectors.

Some feedback on cheap protectors vs. dead spots might help. I grabbed a .99 cent one from ebay when I received my iPhone 5, and I have some dead spots sometimes.

It's never consistent, but does seem to happen around the corners and edges more (of course where most interface buttons are located).

• Reply 37 of 42

Thanks for sharing this link i was also suffered same problem but i got solution to visit your link and getting various solutions. développer des applications iphone

• Reply 38 of 42

My phone is doing the exact same thing. I literally just got this phone two days ago and put it in a heavy duty case so it wouldnt break like last time. Having my screen not work is very irratating. I cant call, text, use internet, unlock my phone, or just simply type! :(

• Reply 39 of 42
    Okay ' it's now April & I had my iPhone since December & I discovered this dead spot about two days ago . The whole right side of my screen does not work so I flip my phone around so I'm able to type ' I can just wave my hand across the right side of the screen & it just starts to click things . I backspace, P,O,L,M & return button dose not work . The lady to my to try to restore but obviously it doesn't work & I'm not sure how to back up my photos & stuff & I don't want to loose anything . I want to try & see if I can get my screen fixed but I rather have apple send me a new one . But once again I'm not sure how to back my photos & stuff up , & say if I get a new one & the same thing happens . Sometimes when I hit the screen where it's dead it works for like an hour ..... But keep the comments going & write back folks
  • Reply 40 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by manicLA View Post

Went to the Apple Store yesterday. They said to restore the software on the phone and see if it helps. But no luck. Judging from the lack of posts I'm guessing I am the only one facing this issue. Bummer.

Going to go back to the store and see what my options are.

In ROME do as  the romans do