Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 401 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

The Hubble Space Telescope uses a highly polished mirror to focus trace amounts of ancient light into meaningful images. I have not done a side by side comparison, but I will step out on a limb and speculate that the Hubble’s mirror may be more reflective than the new iMac’s screen.

On looking at the new iMac, I did not think “reflective though they may be, it doesn’t bother me." That didn't cross my mind because I wasn’t thinking of them as reflective.

I suppose you could make a similar argument that because the CPU has a bitter taste if you let it sit in your mouth for awhile, anyone who evaluates an iMac must state “bitter-tasting though they may be, it doesn’t bother me.” But since I didn't pop out the CPU and suck on it for taste, this too didn't cross my mind.

I can’t speak for others, and I am just a cat. But I honestly haven’t been bothered by reflections on the new iMac. When I get my own to play with I may arrive at a different conclusion, but for now, this has been a non-issue for me.

You are an amusing cat, unlike most of the cats I have known, who range from "sullenly homicidal" to "cryptically up to something".
  • Reply 402 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You are an amusing cat, unlike most of the cats I have known, who range from "sullenly homicidal" to "cryptically up to something".

Well, I am that too, and more. We cats are complex creatures.

Meow.
  • Reply 403 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I was irritated that we weren't given a choice of matte or glossy displays until someone pointed out that I shouldn't be. She pointed out that I have a reading lamp on next to me while watching TV (being, ahem, multi talented I read and watch TV at the same time). The reflection of the lamp is bright on the TV screen, but I am unaware of it until I think about it. Our eyes or brain must compensate - or something. Maybe it's equivalent to focusing on a near object or a distant object. Our eyes adjust to that. That may not be a good analogy, but it shows the possibility of focusing on the display rather than the glare. Another analogy would be how we tune out ambient sound while we talk to another person.

MY REAL GRIPE about TV is that dam__d Channel logo, the ads, and the banners that appear on the screen bottom. Sometimes they cover up something I want to see. I notice that they don't appear during commercials. Sorry, I know that doesn't conform to the current thread. Maybe I'll carry it over to another thread. I can't imagine anyone being happy with it.

The reflection from your TV does not compare to the reflection from your new iMac. Most people do not sit 12" away from their television, so eye strain is not as much of a concern.
  • Reply 404 of 433
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

The reflection from your TV does not compare to the reflection from your new iMac. Most people do not sit 12" away from their television, so eye strain is not as much of a concern.

That's true, but what I was referring to was the brains ability to focus on something and so blot out something else. I said that it was NOT a good analogy - TV vs. Display. I was not making a case for ignoring eye strain.
  • Reply 405 of 433
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Went to my nearest Comp USA today. Was checking out camcorders, but that's a whole different story altogether.

Anyway the Apple rep was setting up the new iMacs. He just had a 20 iMac. IMO, it's gorgeous. Obviously that's subjective but I would say that they achieved their goal of making the iMac more pro looking in appearance. On the down side glare, reflection or whatver you wish to call it IS and issue. While I still think it can be overcome in your home, you will NEED to consider this in your setup. The 2.4 ghz model was teh snappy. Very responsive in the short time I got to play with it. The rep showed me iMovie and was able to skim the clips without hesitation.

Overall I want one. Real bad too.
  • Reply 406 of 433
    so...on a sort of related topic...what is everyones ship date? mine says i should recive it by sept 24...does that seem a little late to anyone??
  • Reply 407 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terroris View Post

so...on a sort of related topic...what is everyones ship date? mine says i should recive it by sept 24...does that seem a little late to anyone??

Yeah, but maybe it will ship with Leopard.
  • Reply 408 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Yeah, but maybe it will ship with Leopard.

i was reading through some other topics and i think it might be because of the wireless keyboard, if i take that out i should get it faster?
  • Reply 409 of 433
    apple's choices.

I haven't seen the new iMac in life, i will keep my thoughts about the gloss and the black band to myself.

But people keep coming back to the same point. In designing new computers apple has a total approach, very different from other companies. They make design choices from the start with far going implications for the hardware possibilities in the end. Ordering options are limited, even worse some product classes don't even show up (midtower). As design choices in the (near) past has been very succesfull (iPod, iMac, Macbook), it's strange to see such a limited product line.

It has been pointed out that limited models mean limited factory lines and less general costs and more profit per unit. But who will guarantee apple will keep on guessing right and deliver the next best thing? Isn't it very dangerous for future profit to rely on such a small product choice? And will this arrogant (we'll decide for you) attitude not fire back? If they really want to be ahead of the pack, why don't they put blue ray drives in their new imacs? And why don't they compare themselves with true competition instead of Dell's low budget model?
  • Reply 410 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-maze View Post

apple's choices.

I haven't seen the new iMac in life, i will keep my thoughts about the gloss and the black band to myself.

But people keep coming back to the same point. In designing new computers apple has a total approach, very different from other companies. They make design choices from the start with far going implications for the hardware possibilities in the end. Ordering options are limited, even worse some product classes don't even show up (midtower). As design choices in the (near) past has been very succesfull (iPod, iMac, Macbook), it's strange to see such a limited product line.

It has been pointed out that limited models mean limited factory lines and less general costs and more profit per unit. But who will guarantee apple will keep on guessing right and deliver the next best thing? Isn't it very dangerous for future profit to rely on such a small product choice? And will this arrogant (we'll decide for you) attitude not fire back? If they really want to be ahead of the pack, why don't they put blue ray drives in their new imacs? And why don't they compare themselves with true competition instead of Dell's low budget model?

Because for some reason Jobs' warped mind sees the all in one as a evolutionary replacement for the ATX tower rather than something different for a different type of user. To him Dell is the true competition, not Sony. I would rather compare it to the Sony myself. The iMac is cheaper, more powerful, and Sony can't counter with the major drawbacks inherent in an all in one design.
  • Reply 411 of 433
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

But who will guarantee apple will keep on guessing right and deliver the next best thing? Isn't it very dangerous for future profit to rely on such a small product choice?

There is no guarantee of anything. Much of Apple's success relies on the failures of everyone else. Most people don't care about a great deal of variety in computers. You could sell most of the market a generic box that reads COMPUTER on the side in black letters.

Quote:

And will this arrogant (we'll decide for you) attitude not fire back? If they really want to be ahead of the pack, why don't they put blue ray drives in their new imacs? And why don't they compare themselves with true competition instead of Dell's low budget model?

I don't know if its so much arrogance as it is a singular vision. The point is not always to be ahead of the pack but provide computers that are easy to use. The times Apple adopted technology early (USB, Firewire, WiFi) it was in an effort to improve the computer experience. Blu-ray doesn't improve much of anything.

The only two really doing the hard sell with blu-ray or HD-DVD are Sony and Toshiba. Neither of the two formats have had a big impact or have added a great deal of value to the computer market. The longer Apple waits to use one of the two the lower the prices will be when they finally do use it.

Dell doesn't only sell low cost computers. Sony isn't really in the same league as Dell or Apple in sales. They are hardly worth mentioning as competition.
  • Reply 412 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terroris View Post

Ships by September 12, delivered by the 18th.
  • Reply 413 of 433
    Been waiting for this new iMac for quite a while, and am very disappointed with the screen. Even if I wasn't concerned with the ability to edit my photos with any degree of color accuracy, I am totally put off by the reflective nature of the screen. I work during the day in a room that has windows on three of four walls, and I enjoy having natural light in the room in which I work. I also do NOT intend to build a room or even re-arrange a room to suit the computer. So, I'll not be buying this new iMac.

I never expected this, but perhaps Apple really doesn't care or listen to their users, despite all the marketing hype to the contrary.
  • Reply 414 of 433
    Used one at a shop this afternoon for about 30 minutes and have no complaints. The screen was fantastic.
  • Reply 415 of 433
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Used one at a shop this afternoon for about 30 minutes and have no complaints. The screen was fantastic.

I was going to buy one but the reflections really put me off - especially with dark colours on the screen - really off putting & a lost sale here!
  • Reply 416 of 433
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

I was going to buy one but the reflections really put me off - especially with dark colours on the screen - really off putting & a lost sale here!

Just unboxed the iMac 24" shipped from Shanghai 8/20 arrived NYC 8/23. Amazing screen, glare only a problem when a light is directly behind. When off, you do have a mirror there, but I don't see that as a problem. Almost a feature. DVDs are fantastic on this screen and I've put off the old HD TV purchase for a while longer; first to pay for this thing, and second to see what comes along.

The real estate for working with multiple windows is great i and Asian language fonts show up beautifuly.
  • Reply 417 of 433
    kadkad Posts: 5member
    I really like the new iMac..and I plan on getting one soon. Once again, great job Apple!
  • Reply 418 of 433
    i know this might seem like a stupid question but is there any backup battery on the new imac, so if the power fails it doesn't shut off?
  • Reply 419 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

i know this might seem like a stupid question but is there any backup battery on the new imac, so if the power fails it doesn't shut off?

EXTREMELY unlikely. A battery would take up too much space. Get a UPS, uninterrupted power supply. They are not very expensive and could save something you're working on when the power went off. Cheap ones will give you a few minutes to save, etc. The more they cost, the more time you have to do what you want to do. The best part of a UPS is that they keep the power at a constant level which is better for your computer. This is especially true in areas that have frequent brown outs. I'm using a UPS from APC that is made for a Mac. That isn't a biggie as long as your equipment is protected. I think I paid around $75 for it. You will have to replace the battery from time to time, but it's worth it. I've had to replace it only once after 4 years of use.

For more info, go to: http://www.jetcafe.org/npc/doc/ups-faq.html#0201
  • Reply 420 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

Not only do I agree with sequitur, but I'll go him one more, and say that there definitely no backup battery in the iMac, or in any other computer that I know of, other than the small one used to back up start-up info, the clock, and some prefs.

Other than that, do as he says and buy a UPS, if you REALLY think you need one. Find out the power the computer needs (usually measured in VA for the UPS), and get a unit that will power the unit for the time you need. It will normally only be good for 10 minutes to 20 minutes, but a bigger model (expensive) will give you more.

The new iMacs use at max, either 200 or 280 watts for the standard configs, so go from there.