Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not only do I agree with sequitur, but I'll go him one more, and say that there definitely no backup battery in the iMac, or in any other computer that I know of

I know of one

Unplug it and it will run on battery power for a good while.

(see teh sig)
  • Reply 422 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I know of one

Unplug it and it will run on battery power for a good while.

(see teh sig)

That's not exactly what we were talking about.
  • Reply 423 of 433
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    not if it's old news but THEY say it's a 2600 XT and not a 2600 Pro in the new iMac:

http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/...Depeche=126722
  • Reply 424 of 433
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

i know this might seem like a stupid question but is there any backup battery on the new imac, so if the power fails it doesn't shut off?

Check this out:

10 pieces of hardware you should replace rather than repair

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10...19&tag=nl.e138

#3: Surge protector / UPS
  • Reply 425 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

not if it's old news but THEY say it's a 2600 XT and not a 2600 Pro in the new iMac:

http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/...Depeche=126722

vinea,

Here's a good example of learning a language from Rosetta Stone. I could read the French at the site above.
  • Reply 426 of 433
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

vinea,

Here's a good example of learning a language from Rosetta Stone. I could read the French at the site above.

Thanks. My wife'll kill me for buying what is essentially a $300 DVD but I guess a course at the community college is about the same or more.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese or Chinese and Spanish. English, Spanish and some Asian language I figure would cover travel most of the world I would visit.

Probably Chinese since there are more native speakers...

Vinea
  • Reply 427 of 433
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

vinea,

you don't have to read that page since the info is in the screenshot - i can't read that french stuff myself but found it interesting that they say there is a 2600 XT in the new iMac
  • Reply 428 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Thanks. My wife'll kill me for buying what is essentially a $300 DVD but I guess a course at the community college is about the same or more.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese or Chinese and Spanish. English, Spanish and some Asian language I figure would cover travel most of the world I would visit.

Probably Chinese since there are more native speakers...Vinea

1. If I were you, I'd try to get her to make the decision. Let her talk you into it. I used to use that method on my wife. Maybe that's why we're divorced now.

2. I 'd send you a disk to try it before you buy it, but unfortunately, to use the program, it has to be on the computer and you have to plug the disk in each time you use it. The program would be useless without the disk.

3. Yes, it is expensive, but if you're serious, it's worth it. Better than a college course. You use it when you want to and as much time as you want to spend. You can use it over and over again without having to pay more college fees. It's almost like having your own tutor.

That being said, I'm uncomfortable with your relying on me as an "expert". Different people work at different rates. What was difficult for me could be easier or harder for you. What I can tell you is that I've tried records and other software to learn a language. They were frustrating and I got nothing out of them. I tried books and a Publc Broadcasting TV channel program to learn Spanish. I was unsuccessful (an understatement). High School and College classes didn't make more than a dent. Only Rosetta Stone made a difference.

After reading the above testimonial, I think I'd make a good salesman for Rosetta Stone.

I was touted onto RS by my daughter and her boyfriend who go to Europe every other summer.

4. One problem you may encounter is that if you don't have someone to talk to, you'll lose a lot of what you've learned. Use it or lose it. American GI's who stayed in Europe after WWII and married there, in some cases forgot English.

Lastly, don't bother learning Chinese. I read that there are more people in China learning English than the total number of people in the US.

I spent a year and a half in the far East and learned conversational Japanese. That's not a biggie. Japanese is easy to learn to speak (but of course, not to read or write). There are no plurals in Japanese. 1 dog or 10 dog. One verb tense - present tense. To make it past tense, you add the syllable 'ta' to the verb. Sentence structure is like European languages - subject, object, predicate.

To ask a question, you make a statement and add a verbal question mark at the end - ka. Or add a syllable - ne - meaning isn't that so. Japanese use a lot of those short syllables to mean differences. For example, if I wanted to say, "You and I are good friends, aren't we? I would say, "Anata [you] wa [meaning your the important one in my sentence] to [and] watashi [I/me] ii [good] tomodachi [friend(s)] desu [are/is], ne[aren't we]. Anata wa to watashi ii tomodachi desu, ne. Past tense of desu [the verb, to be] is desuta adding that lst syllable ta.

Of course, I'm talking about conversational Japanese. Formal, business, technical are something different.

The problem is that Japanese words are not familiar as French or Spanish even though you may not know what they mean. Japanese women speak a soft, rhythmic Japanese. Men bark their Japanese.

Pick your language carefully or you'll end up paying another $300 for one.

Sorry to be so windy, good luck.

Al
  • Reply 429 of 433
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK most AP-credit and College admission posts are split off into a new thread in AppleOutsider.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=78597

No name calling please.
  • Reply 430 of 433
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Pick your language carefully or you'll end up paying another $300 for one.

Sorry to be so windy, good luck.

Al

Thanks for the advice, and no, I won't "blame" you if it doesn't work out for me.

ObMac: I assume it would look brilliant on the new 24" iMac?
  • Reply 431 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

OK most AP-credit and College admission posts are split off into a new thread in AppleOutsider.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=78597

No name calling please.

I'm through with it anyway, but thanks.
  • Reply 432 of 433
    After working with both Windows PC's and Macs for over 9 years for my school and "job" (graphical design, digital lay-out), I have decided to make the switch at home as well. I ordered a 24" 2.8GHz iMac last week. Too bad I have to wait 2 weeks at least (so I have to wait at least one more week *sigh*).. I sure as hell can't wait for it to arrive, so I'm hoping I'll have it by the end of this week..

I like what I've seen so far. The glossy screen isn't really bothering me and the design just looks very slick. I'm thinking about keeping my old Logitech MX 1000 mouse though. I tend to have problems with the Mighty Mouse (I can't seem to control the pressure for the side-buttons >_>)

Give me my iMac! =(
  • Reply 433 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Thanks for the advice, and no, I won't "blame" you if it doesn't work out for me.

ObMac: I assume it would look brilliant on the new 24" iMac?

I don't know what your study habits are, but I'm lazy. When something gets difficult, I have a tendency to find something - anything - else to do. When I started Rosetta Stone, I fought it. Eventually, knowing I wasn't getting anywhere, I knew I had to motivate myself. I set up several time periods during the week and, religiously, kept to those learning periods. At the end of each period, if I had really gotten somewhere, I treated myself to some ice cream. After a while, the motivation became a shift in my mind as I began to "learn", and I stopped fighting and really enjoyed myself.

Nothing breeds success like success. My method may not work for you, but it certainly did for me. Try finding a method that won't allow you to procrastinate. As I previously mentioned, find someone to speak to and one day you'll stop translating and think in that language.

BTW, Rosetta Stone has a free demo. However, I didn't try it because I thought it might be tough and discourage me. http://www.rosettastone.com/offer/googlepage

Good luck