Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 433
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Aluminium = great!

Choice of 2.8 processor = great!

2600 Pro video chip = Nooooooooooooooooo!

This chip is a dud and Apple have jumped right on the bandwagon. It is ATIs worst work in ages.

But because it is $30 less than NVidia that is all that matters to the suits at Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 433
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfdesign View Post

Does this mean a Macbook pro update is nearing now? Why buy a 2.4GhZ MacBook "Pro" with 200GB HD, when the iMac has this beat by 400Mhz, and 100+ GB storage, 1 extra GB of RAM capability... the list goes on and on. They should call this thing "iMac Pro".

The 24in iMac is a GREAT deal. I was just about to buy the 17in. Macbook Pro, now I am not so certain.

The iMac has a larger screen, is thicker and has a chin. That all together allows for use of 3.5" drives which explains the larger drive capacity. The 24" iMac has a very much larger housing than even a 17" MBP, makes it possible to cool a 2.8 GHz processor in it. And the MBP supports 4 GB RAM as well.

There is not much that could be updated in the MBPs.
  • Reply 43 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makhaira View Post

I have been waiting and waiting for this announcement to replace my aging G5 iMac. But a glossy screen? Come on! I mostly use my computer for photo editing and having a glossy screen is a no no. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting a little longer until I can save up enough for a Mac Pro and a real monitor. I suppose that is what Jobs had i mind the whole time!

Actually, you're wrong. I had the photo editing areas in my company controlled as to lighting and color. You aren't supposed to do color work with a bright lighting setup impinging the screen.

If you keep the lights down as you are supposed to do, and keep them from directly lighting the screen, then you'll be fine. Glossy screens actually give better color and contrast, with deeper blacks.
  • Reply 44 of 433
    halcyonhalcyon Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This chip is a dud and Apple have jumped right on the bandwagon. It is ATIs worst work in ages.

I don't think 3D games performance @ 1920x1200 was on their mind, when they selected the gpu

Personally I'm more happy about full bitstream VC1 acceleration in hw, IF ATI provides the drivers for that (that's a big if).
  • Reply 45 of 433
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Looks like Apple Store couldn't keep up with the demand for new iMacs!

:-)
  • Reply 46 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

A "pro" will have little use for a glossy screen and a shit GPU.

I'd never use an iMac then or now for Pro use... yes it's more powerful than a Macbook Pro but you can't really compare the two in that way, for a laptop the Macbook Pro is very powerful... it's a portable computer! And for a portable computer the Macbook Pro packs a punch, and despite it's extra processing power blah blah I don't see you or anyone else slinging a 24in iMac under their arm to use on the train...
  • Reply 47 of 433
    Can that new keyboard be ordered alone for use with my Mac Pro tower??? I would love to use it!!
  • Reply 48 of 433
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'd never use an iMac then or now for Pro use... yes it's more powerful than a Macbook Pro but you can't really compare the two in that way, for a laptop the Macbook Pro is very powerful... it's a portable computer! And for a portable computer the Macbook Pro packs a punch, and despite it's extra processing power blah blah I don't see you or anyone else slinging a 24in iMac under their arm to use on the train...

What the hell are you talking about?

RTFT, I was responding to someone who was trying to choose between a MacBook Pro and an iMac.

• Reply 49 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Can that new keyboard be ordered alone for use with my Mac Pro tower??? I would love to use it!!

It is available at the Apple store (or it was before it went down again...)
  • Reply 50 of 433
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    UK Apple Store is up!!!

Before the US!!!

• Reply 51 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

1. The 2.8 Ghz chip is not a laptop chip. 2.4 is the best intel chip in any laptop

Not anymore. It's the $1000 Core 2 Extreme X7900
  • Reply 52 of 433
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Apple Store is up and running. Mac Mini has been quietly refreshed. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. I'm placing my order now...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore

Store works fine for me, check out the ad for the new iMacs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/ads/

Update: Apple Store is behaving badly, I guess they're still updating it.

How much?
  • Reply 53 of 433
    sezmesezme Posts: 8member
    I note that this is the first ever iMac that comes with only Apple (no third party) software and absolutely NO GAMES! I thought they were supposed to be pushing games this year...
  • Reply 54 of 433
    Apple didn't release the triple quad-core duo 4.99 Ghz ultralight with 750GB flash memory, an NGeorgeousia 9850GXVT graphics card and 72 hour battery life I had expected them to for $399. Boy, am I bummed.

In the mean time, I just placed my order for iLife and iWork, and will pick up the new iMac in November after I get to see one in person (I want to see the color coordination first).

I think the specs are pretty nice and the extra HD space will be needed. FW 800 will really help for backing up video.
  • Reply 55 of 433
    It is a Core 2 Extreme X7900. If it were a desktop motherboard, we probably would have seen a quad as the upgrade option.
  • Reply 56 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

My thoughts exactly. Why did it take so long to change the color, add a black ring and make it a little faster? Also, is the mouse white, while the rest is alum/black? Looks like I will pick up a White iMac and match.

I think the black border will look better in 10.5, with the new menu bar, dock etc. More cool, less playful.

As for 'play' someone at Apple PR REALLY needs to work on their mock-up photoshopping skills:

zoom from offical iMac profile shot....

• Reply 57 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sezme View Post

I note that this is the first ever iMac that comes with only Apple (no third party) software and absolutely NO GAMES! I thought they were supposed to be pushing games this year...

Yeah, the iMac used to come with a great little software bundle, now it comes with none. It seems like the deal keeps getting a little worse every time out.
  • Reply 58 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

How much?

Prices have not changed. It's $599 for the low end (1GB RAM, 1.83 GHz, 80GB HDD) model and $799 for the (1GB RAM, 2 GHz, 120GB HDD. And both are now Intel Core 2 Duos .
  • Reply 59 of 433
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Didn't SJ say something about these iMacs being "Off The Charts" or something similar to this? I don't see anything off the charts about these.
  • Reply 60 of 433
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    24" iMac to go please..!