Thread for people who love the new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There's simply too much poision in the well of the mini-tower seeking teenage boy community to warrant my posting a retort in the thread that downplays the new iMac.

My points: metal and glass. I bet it looks stunning in person, and I'm going to check it out at the Apple Store on University Ave on my way to picking up some dinner tonight. I might be convinced to take a no-flash photo. . . stay tuned.

I've used an iMac G5 for a while now. There's nothing wrong with the chin. If I didn't have the chin, I'd have to put a phone book under it or something. The basic iMac form factor since that G5 is almost impossible to improve upon until something better than flat-panel monitors comes along.

Cheaper, faster, better looking. Those are some pretty solid improvements. Unless it ran on nuclear fusion batteries that didn't need replacing for years, I can't think of a way to make it better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

There's simply too much poision in the well of the mini-tower seeking teenage boy community to warrant my posting a retort in the thread that downplays the new iMac.

What is it with anti-headless-Mac people that they always feel the need to belittle those who support the idea of the xMac? Is it because you are incapable of responding to the valid points we make about the iMac being a non-portable laptop?

Quote:

My points: metal and glass. I bet it looks stunning in person

Agreed.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    That was my first thought as I logged into the Apple site. Looks really nice, almost makes me regret the fact that I've got a Macbook on the way...not as much as iLife and iWork 2008 though

The black border looks a bit suspicious though, I'm surprised they didn't go for an iPhone-esque design actually. And they kept the chin...not quite as much a change as my fellow insiders seemed to think!
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Ok, Since I am lazy, I am going to list some things and say if I consider them a pro or a con instead of consolidating it into a pros/cons list.

1. Price.

2. Processor.

3. Display (Resolution).

4. Memory.

5. Hard Drive.

6. Optical Drive.

7. Graphics.

8. Video.

9. Expansion (Ports).

10. Audio.

11. Ethernet.

12. Wireless.

13. Accessories.

14. Size.

15. Design.

16. Coloring.

17. Display (Glossy).

18. Material Used.

19. No 17"

1. Pro. IMO is a fair price.

2. Pro. 2.8 C2E!

3. Pro. Pretty good resolution, could have been more though.

4. Pro. 4GB rocks, and easy access to Memory Bays so no $$$ Apple RAM.

5. Pro.

6. Neutral. SuperDrive is good, but HDDVD or Bluray would have rocked.

7. Con. According to reviews, the 2400/2600 isn't all that great.

8. Con. Have to buy the mini-DVI to DVI adapter to use an external Display.

9. Neutral. Nothing special here. See above though.

10. Neutral. Nothing special here.

11. Pro.

12. Pro. 802.11n rocks.

13. Pro. new KB is spiffy (BT version sucks), MM is the same but most people switch it anyways.

14. Pro. Thin, big screen.

15. Con. Is nice, but a much bigger redesign was expected, although not necessary.

16. Pro. That Black Apple is cool. Rest looks sexy too.

17. Con. At least give us the choice.

18. Pro. Glass and one piece of Aluminum. Very good looking.

19. Con. Obviously. Cuts out a lower priced option that many would want/need (Edu also).

Feel Free to tell me your opinions, and if you give a good argument, I may switch something. Additions to this list are also welcome. (you can probably tell that I got most of it of the Apple Complete Specs list.)
  • Reply 4 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I like it. I ordered a 24" tonight. I just hope I like the glossy screen because I hate them on the notebooks.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I like it. I ordered a 24" tonight. I just hope I like the glossy screen because I hate them on the notebooks.

Why did you order it if you don't like it?
  • Reply 6 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why did you order it if you don't like it?

Because I don't plan on taking my 24" iMac outisde or on the plane with me. I guess I could have been more specific, I hate them when influenced by sun light. Fortunately, the back of my computer faces the window.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    has anyone been to a store to see them? Any first impressions?
  • Reply 8 of 72
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

17. Display (Glossy).

18. Material Used.

17. Con. At least give us the choice.

18. Pro. Glass and one piece of Aluminum. Very good looking.

Are there matte, glass surfaces that are completely transparent? I would think that the design choice of glass forces the screen to be glossy; or am I missing something?
  • Reply 9 of 72
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What is it with anti-headless-Mac people . . . [more poison]

It's more that the small crowd that wants a commodity tower mac will blast anything that's not a commodity tower mac, and it's tiring to hear. The iMac is great. It's exactly what it's supposed to be, and admittedly that's not everything to everyone. But, it's a phenomenal deal of a computer for most uses. So just accept that. That's all I ask.

Also, it's a fact that most of the folks of AI who lust after a commodity tower mac seem to be teenage boys. Nothing belittling there, just fact.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Are there matte, glass surfaces that are completely transparent? I would think that the design choice of glass forces the screen to be glossy; or am I missing something?

Hmm...I guess I didn't think about that. I jumped on the bandwagon of all the people griping about glossy only without thinking about the relation between glossy and glass. I don't think many others did either. Will change that if there is more definitive info.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    i liked it, it is soooo thin, only think i wish is more RAM, at least 2GB, but then again can buy 1 or 2 GB of RAM (single module) and stick into iMac, it is ok. personally waiting for leopard... that will be my first iMac
  • Reply 12 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm really liking the new iMac. I'd agree with Steve that it looks both more like a consumer product & more professional.

I'm most excited about the iLife updates. There is a lot of subtle improving going on, that I don't think is quite appreciated here.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

So just accept that. That's all I ask.

I can agree that the iMac is by far the best AIO that there is. The design aesthetics are very fetching.

Less goading and childish put-downs of well-reasoned arguments would be nice if we're requesting things of each other.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I was wondering that myself. If there was a way to make a choice of screens (glossy or matte) with glass. However being a stationary computer I can control my environment (mostly, shut the blinds on the window).

So I ordered the entry level 20" with an extra gig of ram tonight. I'm tickled with the new design.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    My wife believes the new iMac is like the black spider man outfit. Let's hope so...
  • Reply 16 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'll be getting a 24" 2.8Ghz version with 2GB RAM when Leopard ships.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'll be getting a 24" 2.8Ghz version with 2GB RAM when Leopard ships.

That machine should really rock! Very envious. I just couldn't muster the funds nor want to dig a debt hole.

I stayed with the full wired keyboard too. I love my number keys to the side.

Wow, they really did get rid of the Apple logo on the command key. At least they did write "Command" on it.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

That machine should really rock! Very envious. I just couldn't muster the funds nor want to dig a debt hole.

I stayed with the full wired keyboard too. I love my number keys to the side.

Wow, they really did get rid of the Apple logo on the command key. At least they did write "Command" on it.

No joke on removing Apple from the key. I am shocked after renaming almost everything to have Mac or Apple in the name. I can't wait to just get the keyboard.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Liked it so much that I bought once the store was finally back up (two hours after it was supposed to be!).

It's a stock 24-inch 2.4GHz model, but I plan to drop in an extra 1GB of RAM later.

I'm looking forward to it as my first ever Intel Mac and a definite step up from my 20-inch iMac G5. I write for a living and the 20-inch feels cramped given how many apps are open at once. And since it's a PowerPC Mac, I can't (officially) attach an extra LCD if I want extra space. Or run certain games and media-intensive apps.

The new model looks good, runs fast (relative to my own, at any rate), and is a much better deal.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

My wife believes the new iMac is like the black spider man outfit. Let's hope so...

You mean, the one where Peter Parker's not a wuss?