Thread for people who love the new iMac

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Ok, Since I am lazy, I am going to list some things and say if I consider them a pro or a con instead of consolidating it into a pros/cons list.

1. Price.

2. Processor.

3. Display (Resolution).

4. Memory.

5. Hard Drive.

6. Optical Drive.

7. Graphics.

8. Video.

9. Expansion (Ports).

10. Audio.

11. Ethernet.

12. Wireless.

13. Accessories.

14. Size.

15. Design.

16. Coloring.

17. Display (Glossy).

18. Material Used.

19. No 17"

1. Pro. IMO is a fair price.

2. Pro. 2.8 C2E!

3. Pro. Pretty good resolution, could have been more though.

4. Pro. 4GB rocks, and easy access to Memory Bays so no $$$ Apple RAM.

5. Pro.

6. Neutral. SuperDrive is good, but HDDVD or Bluray would have rocked.

7. Con. According to reviews, the 2400/2600 isn't all that great.

8. Con. Have to buy the mini-DVI to DVI adapter to use an external Display.

9. Neutral. Nothing special here. See above though.

10. Neutral. Nothing special here.

11. Pro.

12. Pro. 802.11n rocks.

13. Pro. new KB is spiffy (BT version sucks), MM is the same but most people switch it anyways.

14. Pro. Thin, big screen.

15. Con. Is nice, but a much bigger redesign was expected, although not necessary.

16. Pro. That Black Apple is cool. Rest looks sexy too.

17. Con. At least give us the choice.

18. Pro. Glass and one piece of Aluminum. Very good looking.

19. Con. Obviously. Cuts out a lower priced option that many would want/need (Edu also).

Feel Free to tell me your opinions, and if you give a good argument, I may switch something. Additions to this list are also welcome. (you can probably tell that I got most of it of the Apple Complete Specs list.)

Crap are you posting the spreadsheet later tonight lol. I need to go up and down 100 times
  • Reply 62 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamingo View Post

Ok, just an update guys. I called the store I had gotten my iMac from (Oakbrook, IL) and told them "I have literally 1 pixel that is stuck, I know that's not enough for any return policy, but I'm just wondering how you can help me." The guy quickly says "The new iMac? The one released yesterday? Well shoot man, bring it in, that's just unacceptable!" I brought it in, got immediate service, no hassle, they even had set one aside for me. No dead pixels on the new one, all is well in the world

Your welcome.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Crap are you posting the spreadsheet later tonight lol. I need to go up and down 100 times

WHAT?!?!? You have a friggen 23" display! I can see the whole thing fine on my 15" screen.

And besides, you shouldn't have to be able to see the whole thing at once, because to relate the positions (1 with 1) you only have to be able to see roughly 21 lines.

(yes I realize you were being sarcastic, I just feel like proving you wrong... and besides, I said that I was lazy.)
  • Reply 64 of 72
    I like everything about it except for the choice of GPU.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I like everything about it except for the choice of GPU.

This thread is for people who love the iMac, go to another thread, please
  • Reply 66 of 72
    arantxaarantxa Posts: 14member
    Actually, the new imac matches my desk perfectly. Black and silver, and I'm pretty sure it'll all look great as long as I turn off the light!

I hope the graphics card isn't as bad as it sounds, but I think I'll be okay. I only play a few games and I've been playing them on crappier computers for years-- and my video-editing is only a hobby.

I'm getting the 2.4GHz 24" ASAP.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamingo View Post

Ok, just an update guys. I called the store I had gotten my iMac from (Oakbrook, IL) and told them "I have literally 1 pixel that is stuck, I know that's not enough for any return policy, but I'm just wondering how you can help me." The guy quickly says "The new iMac? The one released yesterday? Well shoot man, bring it in, that's just unacceptable!" I brought it in, got immediate service, no hassle, they even had set one aside for me. No dead pixels on the new one, all is well in the world

Try even imagining that happening with Dell, HP or Gateway. Apple isn't perfect, but their customer service should be envied by the entire industry.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

Apple isn't perfect, but their customer service should be envied by the entire industry.

Tell that to the lady from this thread. Unfortunately, Apple's "excellent customer service" doesn't stretch to Australia, or I imagine to many other countries outside the U.S.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I used the new 24" iMac for half an hour at the Apple Store today. I can tell you that it is truly beautiful, much nicer in person than any of the pictures including Apples own suggests.

And the keyboard is stunning as well, it felt very well made and it is pretty heavy so it has a substantial feel. The new keyboard is a huge improvement over the previous version.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    I called 1800MYAPPLE and canceled my order today because I noticed the reason why the shipping was going to take so long was because I ordered the wireless keyboard.

I decided to go ahead and just get the USB one instead and now it'll be shipped by Aug. 14 instead of 3-5 weeks.

I use the numeric pad quite a bit so I don't really mind having one extra wire
  • Reply 71 of 72
    I'm on vacation in San Diego and stopped by an Apple store tonight to check out the new iMacs. I was really surprised to see how many they had on display. The following is not an exaggeration, there were (8) 20 inch models and (4) 24 inch models on display. Granted 4 of the 20's were setup for training but still they were out to be looked at.

I am one of the people who liked the new design from the beginning. After seeing them in person I was completely awe struck-they are even better than I imagined. They make the previous white ones look dated and dull. I LOVED the glossy screen. I was not distracted by the glare at all even under the harsh Apple store lights. I am a big fan of the black border around the screen, it really makes the image "pop". It is well known that a black border increases apparent contrast. I use this trick at home on my front projection screen. It too has a black border made of velvet which increases the contrast.

The keyboard was incredible, I found myself typing very accurately even though I expected not to based on its appearance. The keyboard feels like a solid precision instrument.

My only disappointment at all was seeing that the mouse was white. I don't understand this design choice at all, it should have been the same aluminum color as the enclosure and the keyboard. I guess some will say the keyboard keys are white so it is a match, actually the keys and mouse are different shades of white with the mouse being brighter. I think the keys should have been aluminum or black.

As far as the missing magnet goes, I won't miss it one bit. I'll simply stick the remote in a drawer

Pretty minor criticisms I think-mouse and key colors, overall it is a marvelous machine. I am getting a 24" Monday when I get home from vacation.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I am getting a 24" Monday when I get home from vacation.

I envy you guys. I have a collection of "lasts." At the moment, I have the last model of titanium powerbook, which incidentally is also one of the last macs that can boot into OS 9. I have the last model of PPC iMac as well. I have some other lasts as well, but they have been in sentimental storage in my parent's cellar for years. (Fortunately, they have a big cellar and don't notice).

Anyway, I would love to replace my iMac G5, but that would require that I spend, oh, $4000 on software upgrades, which just isn't going to happen. Alternatively, I could move to a bigger apartment and just have two iMacs. \

Ironically, I have some "firsts" too. I happen to have the first mac with an active matrix LCD. It runs "Wolfpack" and "Glider" great.