Apple posts Mac event video, iLife tutorials, software updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has posted to its website an on-demand video feed of Steve Jobs' Mac-centric presentation on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the company is also offering video tutorials covering the newly announced versions of iLife and iWork. And minor software updates to Aperture, iPhoto and Front Row have also been released.

Keynote video

If you weren't among the hundred or so guests invited to Apple's campus on Tuesday, you likely missed Apple chief executive Steve Jobs unveil the all-new iMac and demo new features in iLife '08, iWork '08, and .Mac. No sweat though, Apple has now posted a video stream of the event to its website, in addition to a copy of its new iMac television commercial.

Unfortunately, the 72-minute keynote feed stops just short of the Q & A session that followed Jobs' formal presentation. Those readers interested in the revelations made during the Q & A can check out AppleInsider's summary of the chat.

iLife and iWork tutorials

The thick of Jobs' presentation focused on the company's software advancements to iLife and iWork. Readers who don't have time to watch the full blown video stream can alternatively turn to Apple's iLife '08 online video tutorials and step through the new software features at their own pace.

Apple is offering a similar set of online video tutorials covering iWork '08, in addition to an iLife '08 guided tour that can be downloaded to a Mac or iPod.

Additionally, Apple has posted a free 30-day trial of iWork (not iLife) as a digital download. Those who wish to later purchase the software can simply buy a serial number from Apple online.

Software updates

Also appearing on Apple's website Tuesday evening were software updates to iPhoto, Front Row and Aperture:

iPhoto 7.0.1

iPhoto 7.0.1 [8.8MB] addresses issues associated with publishing photos from an upgraded library to .Mac Web Gallery.

Front Row 1.3.1

Front Row 1.3.1 []4.5MB] provides for improved iPhoto compatibility.

Aperture 1.5.4 Update

Aperture 1.5.4 Update [129.7MB] is required for compatibility with iLife '08. This update is recommended for all Aperture users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Is it just me - or was the Jobs Reality Distortion Field (RDF) set to low?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

I think it was appropriate to the size of venue and the type of audience.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Ok, something is weird here. Software update will not find the iPhoto update, iPhoto (version 6.0.6) will not find the update, and that link goes to 'Apple-Page Not Found'. Any help?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Ok, something is weird here. Software update will not find the iPhoto update, iPhoto (version 6.0.6) will not find the update, and that link goes to 'Apple-Page Not Found'. Any help?

You need to purchase iLife 08 - just released yesterday. That contains iPhoto 7. And, yes, Apple released an update for iPhoto before anyone in the world outside of Apple had it in their hot little hands. Way to go Apple!!!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

You need to purchase iLife 08 - just released yesterday. That contains iPhoto 7. And, yes, Apple released an update for iPhoto before anyone in the world outside of Apple had it in their hot little hands. Way to go Apple!!!

Ok, let me get this straight. iLife 06 has iPhoto 6, so wouldn't it make sense for iLife 08 to have iPhoto 8? They released an update before it came out? That is starting to sound like MS.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Ok, let me get this straight. iLife 06 has iPhoto 6, so wouldn't it make sense for iLife 08 to have iPhoto 8? They released an update before it came out? That is starting to sound like MS.

So you want them to change the rev of the applications to match the year they label the ilife suite after? Hmm....
  • Reply 7 of 27
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, particularly when asked about how the iPhone was doing, and he answered with something like 'very well'. Coming from Jobs, that almost sounded like damning with faint praise.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I was thinking the same thing, particularly when asked about how the iPhone was doing, and he answered with something like 'very well'. Coming from Jobs, that almost sounded like damning with faint praise.

He might still be receiving treatments for his cancer, you know. If he is, he would definitely have low energy.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Front Row 1.3.1 provides for improved iPhoto compatibility.

Just noticed that the updated Front Row also provides another useful feature, a 'live' preview of the videos (avi, mp4, dvix) in the movies folder similarly to the Apple TV before launching. Looks good .
  • Reply 11 of 27
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He might still be receiving treatments for his cancer, you know. If he is, he would definitely have low energy.

Talk about making stuff up....

Quote:

Team,

I have some personal news that I need to share with you, and I wanted you to hear it directly from me.

This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.

The far more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which is currently not curable and usually carries a life expectancy of around one year after diagnosis. I mention this because when one hears "pancreatic cancer" (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had.

I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September. While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September.

Steve

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jobsmemo.html
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When you say 'he' I guess you mean the same Steve Jobs that had surgery almost 3 years ago (August 2004)? Something was up though, he seemed a little bit low, who knows he must also have bad days sometimes like the rest of us mere mortals. And don't forget the guy is almost 52 and you can't really say he's working in a stress free environment!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jobsmemo.html

That is a bit of a harsh judgment, in my view.

SJ's statement is from three years ago. I am not a doctor -- I don't know if you are one -- and hence I have no idea how these things evolve three years later, in terms of treatments, medication, pain levels, etc. Perhaps things have changed.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

When you say 'he' I guess you mean the same Steve Jobs that had surgery almost 3 years ago (August 2004)? Something was up though, he seemed a little bit low, who knows he must also have bad days sometimes like the rest of us mere mortals. And don't forget the guy is almost 52 and you can't really say he's working in a stress free environment!

Sometime I shudder at what the world expects of him. Much as I marvel at his ability to over-deliver on that expectation, I wonder if it is the expectations that need to be adjusted.

I know (or know of) few human beings -- and even fewer CEOs -- who have so consistently acted upon, and delivered, on their passion.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

SJ's statement is from three years ago. I am not a doctor -- I don't know if you are one -- and hence I have no idea how these things evolve three years later, in terms of treatments, medication, pain levels, etc. Perhaps things have changed.

Cancer can recur at any time. Unfortunately, "modern medicine" still has few answers in their treatments. Cancer is not like a text string that can simply be deleted.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When was it reported that he has had a reoccurence of cancer? He brought it up in the context of him 'still' getting treatment when he had surgery and never had any other treatment over 3 years ago. So now your gonna guess that he has cancer again? Its not harsh, cause it's grasping at straws for an answer to why his 'showmanship' isn't what it used to be, supposedly. I think he hasn't changed one bit, I think its easier to cut through the BS now for a lot of people especially when you've been burned by expectations and promises before.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

How excited did you expect him to be over a lackluster iMac revision, and overdue software updates?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Cancer can recur at any time. Unfortunately, "modern medicine" still has few answers in their treatments. Cancer is not like a text string that can simply be deleted.

Like Will Rogers once said , "When you find yourself in a hole, QUIT DIGGING!!"
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You know how some people like to hear themselves talk?

SpamSandwich (appropriate name) likes to read his name on internet boards -- whether or not he actually has anything to say.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

How excited did you expect him to be over a lackluster iMac revision, and overdue software updates?

It was a small gathering, not a full-blown Hollywood-meets-Apple event.