So who has a new 24" iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is the screen like? We need to know!

(in terms of colour accuracy, etc.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Yesterday did I ordered a 2.8GHz iMac with 1GB RAM and 750MB HD (I will add 2GB memory from the hoods RAM-pusher).

Assemble time is five days and shipping another seven days. I will let you know when I got it.

Note: If you chose the 2.4GHz alternative and upgrade it to 2.8GHz will it come with a 1GB memory.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Yep - thats what I'm gonna do. Torn between the 500 and 750Gb though...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    eroseros Posts: 23member
    I do, very good. However, it is going straight on Ebay when those nehalem chips are released as I will buy a mac pro.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

I do, very good. However, it is going straight on Ebay when those nehalem chips are released as I will buy a mac pro.

Is that your biggest screen ever? How do you find the size?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I went to the apple store the other day. And I have to say I was a little worried when I heard that it was going to be a glossy display and you didn't have a choice of the matte finish. But I have to say now that I saw it the screen is very nice. And in the brightly light apple store the glare wasn't really a problem at all. Sometimes it makes me think I should have got my 17" hi res macbook pro in glossy. But with a portable I still think that matte is the best way to go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

What is the screen like? We need to know!

(in terms of colour accuracy, etc.)

• Reply 6 of 23
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I have one. I can't tell you how accurately the color looks; it's not what I do. However it is very bright (I use it on the dimmest screen setting) which might combat with any glare that you might have (although I don't have a problem with it).

I'll tell you one thing, I have it to record music and write music, and with a 24" screen it's easy to see many pages at once while working on a score (why I bought it) and playing back mulitracks with tons of plugs on two cores at the highest resolution possible doesn't make it flinch... which is great.

Also, an added benefit I had to deal with when I first bought my (old now) Powerbook - there is not Processor whine (google it) at all with the iMac. I guess thanks to Intel.

This is my first computer that's had a gig of RAM in it. You can definitely tell the difference, then again the processor speed is almost doubled from what I had before, I suppose it is if you're thinking in terms of cores - the sense of the applications I use that fully use them.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have last gen intel 24 inch imac with 3 gigs ram. you really should max out ram to get full benefit of your mac. the benchmark of new 2.4 imac is very similar to 2.33 imac i have. anyone have the 2.8 ghz imac. also do you like keyboard - i am waiting for delivery today.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Yes this is the biggest ever. It is very rich, I like it alot. However, i just noticed a dead pixel and dont know what to do. I just transfered all my stuff onto the computer and installed various programs. But it is irritating me now!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

Yes this is the biggest ever. It is very rich, I like it alot. However, i just noticed a dead pixel and dont know what to do. I just transfered all my stuff onto the computer and installed various programs. But it is irritating me now!!!!

Make sure you get it replaced. I bought a 24" Tuesday afternoon, got it home, noticed 1 stuck pixel, took it back and had it replaced immediately with zero questions asked (they didn't even check the box). I got it home and the new one was fine. Apple is going to think I'm really a fanatic though, because I registered both of them right when I got them, so it shows 2 24" iMacs purchased less than 2 hours after Steve ended the keynote!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Yeah I spoke to the store today, they said no problem. What is the frequency of this sort of thing. Does this represent poor quality control on Apples part?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I picked up a 24-inch iMac yesterday at my local Apple Store. The screen glare was worrisome in the store but now that I have it set up, it's not an issue at all. I don't have any windows behind me but I do to the side, and there was no glare at all during the day.

The screen is incredibly bright and sharp - at least compared to my old 22-inch Cinema Display. I've got the brightness set at about half, and the old display was cranked all the way up.

The new keyboard will take some getting used to. The flat keys don't "hold" my fingers on the home row. The keyboard also needs rubber feet or something so it doesn't slide around so much.

The machine itself is fast and dead quiet. I have a RAM upgrade coming this week.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I Also just purchased a new 24" imac and also noticed a dead or stuck pixel, What color dead pixel do you guys got on your screen ? Mine is green but I dont think it worth to take it back bolth of my mac book pros had dead pixels.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeFF View Post

I Also just purchased a new 24" imac and also noticed a dead or stuck pixel, What color dead pixel do you guys got on your screen ? Mine is green but I dont think it worth to take it back bolth of my mac book pros had dead pixels.

My one was black, pretty sure, took it back today and were sold out.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    it says mine wont get to me till sept 24...anyone think this is a long time? what can i do to fix this?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Nope, just the 20"
  • Reply 16 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeFF View Post

If it's a different color, sometimes changing the resolution and then back unsticks it.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

also noticed a dead or stuck pixel,

Do Apple garantee that you allways can change your iMac because of the dead pixs?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I just set up my new 2.8 with 4GB of RAM and I am loving it. What would have made it perfect is if Apple upgraded me to Leopard free of charge but it doesn't really matter. I also love the glossy screen and do not have any issues with any glare in my home office.

Mine was customized in Shanghai and shipped via Fed-X less than a week.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I just ordered my 2.4 24" the other day, but it's not supposed to ship until the end of September. It says by the 25th. Can I hold some hope that it might get here earlier than that?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch vox View Post

Do Apple garantee that you allways can change your iMac because of the dead pixs?

Typically display manufacturers (and I had thought Apple) set some lower limit for the number of dead pixels there can be and still have the panel be considered "acceptable".

And it certainly is generally more than "one".