Updated Cinema Displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone heard anything about an update to the cinema displays? They haven't been refreshed in forever, the refresh time on them is horrible, and they lack any kind of camera. There has to be something in the pipeline....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwsmith824 View Post

Has anyone heard anything about an update to the cinema displays? They haven't been refreshed in forever, the refresh time on them is horrible, and they lack any kind of camera. There has to be something in the pipeline....

They will probably come out with new displays and a Mac Pro at the same time. Unless they come out with a semi-pro version first, in which they would probably update the displays then. Either way. I imagine a new look. Probably close to Leopards release. If not expect it at MWSF.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

They will probably come out with new displays and a Mac Pro at the same time. Unless they come out with a semi-pro version first, in which they would probably update the displays then. Either way. I imagine a new look. Probably close to Leopards release. If not expect it at MWSF.

MWSF 2008 if you ask me. New Mac Pros, new displays, and new ultra-portable.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    MWSF is a consumer event.

I don't remember if Apple ever announced a professional product at MWSF.

So my bet is MacPro / Displays either October this year alongside Leopard or sometime next year around WWDC timeframe.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

This really means nothing anymore, they could do anything. They may do the iPhone nano their too. October is very possible too.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwsmith824 View Post

An LCD is an LCD, there's not tons to be done with it. As for not having a camera... how many LCD's come with cameras?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This really means nothing anymore, they could do anything. They may do the iPhone nano their too. October is very possible too.

Really?

interesting, I have never heard any professional announcement at MWSF and consumer announcement at WWDC. For me these two events are very distinct in what market Apple is after.

Sure a special event can happen at anytime. But I would be very surprise to see a MacPro at MWSF.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

I don't remember if Apple ever announced a professional product at MWSF.

The Titanium PowerBook, and The PowerMac with the first SuperDrive were both announced at the same MWSF. PowerBook and PowerMac are both Pro products.

The Xserve has also been updated at MWSF before.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    The Cinema displays might get a black apple logo like the new iMac, perhaps LED back light if Apple want to take that route. A black enclosure would make viewing easier on the eyes.

If you ask me the only thing I see changing is the price which would benefit us consumers more than anything. Other than that the cinema displays are perfected. Don't really know what you guys expect, built in toasters? I would love to see all the displays drop 150 dollar in price.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

If you ask me the only thing I see changing is the price which would benefit us consumers more than anything. Other than that the cinema displays are perfected. Don't really know what you guys expect, built in toasters? I would love to see all the displays drop 150 dollar in price.

Perfect ? Not really. Due to the CD's slow updates, they're getting behind the competition. At a recent 30" monitor review (I believe it was Computer Arts) the Apple 30" only got 2 stars, well behind the competition, while it got a top notch review when it came out (in the same magazine).

I'm also worried for a glossy screen in a new update. They should at least give the option to choose.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    I'm thinking MWSF. I think Oct will be the month of Leopard. And consider that Apple likes to stretch out big announcements, so maybe a new ipod in November before the Christmas season, and then the new pro updates (ACDs and MacPros in January.

ACDs are currently getting spanked by the high quality and low cost of the newest LCDs. My personal fav is the latest Gateway 24". Its thinner, runs cooler, and has equal resolution. Only problem is that it doesnt look as cool as the ACDs.

I gladly pay a premium for most Apple products b/c they work so well together, but ACDs do not justify the premium. They need to update the line with LCD backlighting, and definitley HDMI to support playback of blu-ray / hd-dvd. How about a FW800 input? Could care less about iSight, but throw it in anyway.

My question is... will it be glossy or matte? I prefer matte, but i'm thinking glossy to match the imacs, macbook pros and macbooks.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

My question is... will it be glossy or matte? I prefer matte, but i'm thinking glossy to match the imacs, macbook pros and macbooks.

They'll give you an option. Glossy, but default though. Much thinner, lighter, iSight, possibly some basic hidden-speakers, but very doubtful, LED back-lit firewire 800x2 etc.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

The Titanium PowerBook, and The PowerMac with the first SuperDrive were both announced at the same MWSF. PowerBook and PowerMac are both Pro products.

The Xserve has also been updated at MWSF before.

Onlooker,

I am pretty sure the Titanium Powerbook was announced at the middle of the year, but you could be right. If you look at the past history of these events the "majority" of products is either consumer at MWSF and Professional at WWDC. If you are talking about a quiet update yes, it could happen, but to Steve announce professional stuff at the MWSF stage, it has been many years and I can't recall it.

I don't discard the possibility of coming, but with rumors that the new chips for the MacPro are coming in November I would assume the MacPro has a good chance to show up before end of the year alongside new displays. I hope the enclosure will be redesigned too.

I would expect MWSF to focus on the new ultra-portable laptop and maybe AppleTV 2.0 and iPhone Nano.

Cheers
  • Reply 13 of 24
    this is pretty much the update I'm waiting for. I'd love LED, 24", and iSight. Thinner and IR receiver would also be killer

1 more USB too please
  • Reply 14 of 24
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Onlooker,

I am pretty sure the Titanium Powerbook was announced at the middle of the year, but you could be right. If you look at the past history of these events the "majority" of products is either consumer at MWSF and Professional at WWDC.

For the record... Apple Specifications.

MacWorld SF '99

iMac (266 MHz), Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White), Apple Studio Display 15, 17 & 21.

MacWorld SF '01

PowerBook G4 and Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio)

MacWorld SF '02

iBook (14.1 LCD), iMac (Flat Panel), and iMac (17-inch Flat Panel)

MacWorld SF '03

AirPort Extreme/Base Station, PowerBook G4 (12-inch + 17-inch)

MacWorld SF '04

Xserve G5, Xserve RAID (SFP), iPod mini and iPod mini (Second Generation)

MacWorld SF '05

iPod shuffle and Mac mini.

MacWorld SF '06

iMac (Early 2006) and MacBook Pro

MacWorld SF '07

AirPort Extreme with 802.11n, Apple TV, and iPhone (announced)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

For the record... Apple Specifications.

MacWorld SF '99

iMac (266 MHz), Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White), Apple Studio Display 15, 17 & 21.

MacWorld SF '01

PowerBook G4 and Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio)

MacWorld SF '02

iBook (14.1 LCD), iMac (Flat Panel), and iMac (17-inch Flat Panel)

MacWorld SF '03

AirPort Extreme/Base Station, PowerBook G4 (12-inch + 17-inch)

MacWorld SF '04

Xserve G5, Xserve RAID (SFP), iPod mini and iPod mini (Second Generation)

MacWorld SF '05

iPod shuffle and Mac mini.

MacWorld SF '06

iMac (Early 2006) and MacBook Pro

MacWorld SF '07

AirPort Extreme with 802.11n, Apple TV, and iPhone (announced)

Like I said the majority of announcements of MWSF are consumer level products. Except more than 6 years ago the PowerBook G4 and Power Mac G4 and 4 years ago the 12 and 17 inch.

Xserve were a quiet update at the same time.

You can also notice on your link most of professional stuff is around or at WWDC.

Special events now broke this rule a bit. So there is my hope to see new MacPro and Displays before the end of the year. The current PowerMac G5 quad I have was introduced in October, so I wish the new MacPro's will follow that trend! It's time to sell mine and update.

What's interesting to note is if the new enclosure is redesigned for MacPro and displays we might see a special event. But if it is just a quiet upgrade with the same look then just maybe a "ordinary" Tuesday announcement.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Think the cinema displays will only get a design change when the mac pro does, until then it'll just be quiet internal changes.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Like I said the majority of announcements of MWSF are consumer level products. Except more than 6 years ago the PowerBook G4 and Power Mac G4 and 4 years ago the 12 and 17 inch.

Xserve were a quiet update at the same time.

You can also notice on your link most of professional stuff is around or at WWDC.

Special events now broke this rule a bit. So there is my hope to see new MacPro and Displays before the end of the year. The current PowerMac G5 quad I have was introduced in October, so I wish the new MacPro's will follow that trend! It's time to sell mine and update.

What's interesting to note is if the new enclosure is redesigned for MacPro and displays we might see a special event. But if it is just a quiet upgrade with the same look then just maybe a "ordinary" Tuesday announcement.

When your wrong your wrong. Don't play that BS with us. I've been watching, and attending Apple keynotes for years. In 2006 the first MacBook Pro was announced there. Consumer show my ass. Apple releases products when they are ready. In the last eight years seven professional products were announced there. That's plenty.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

When your wrong your wrong. Don't play that BS with us. I've been watching, and attending Apple keynotes for years. In 2006 the first MacBook Pro was announced there. Consumer show my ass. Apple releases products when they are ready. In the last eight years seven professional products were announced there. That's plenty.

Dude, what's your problem?

If you look at the last six years you can see that Apple major consumer products (iMac, MacMini, etc) were announced at MWSf. Seriously I can't careless if you are old enough when back in the early 1990's they announced professional stuff there.

If you go to that link that Kenneth kindly provided you can see if your own eyes that in the last 4 years Steve have not introduce any major professional product at the MWSF stage except the Macbook Pro (Basically the Intel ship on it, call it major if you want). So if he keep this trend he probably will not announce the MacPro there. That's all I am saying.

Plus, i rather have the MacPro and displays sooner than later and leave MWSF for something else.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Dude, what's your problem?

If you look at the last six years

So the X-Serve G5 the X-Serve RAID, and 12 and 17" powerbook G4s aren't professional products?

Dude, you were wrong. It's OK.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    My problem is first your saying it's a consumer show so nothing else will ever happen there and nothing else has. Then we showed you that you're wrong and your in denial over it. Like no one (especially you) could ever be wrong. You are. Apple will announce what is ready as always. Apple has no set agenda about the shows or what products are announced there at any time. THey announce what's ready when they are ready. That's it. What ever is next is what you get. They don't even need a show to announce a product. The reason you saw so few PowerMacs, and PowerBooks for those last years of the PPC was there was no new chips at the time. Some of us remember that\\, but the intel based MacBook Pro was just announced there two years ago, and you still refuse to recognize there are no consumer evens vs. Pro evens. So essentially I don't have a problem. It's you who has the problem. That problem is denial.