Must have improvements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

Riptide,

I agree with the points you made. I too think it is bovine residue that ANYONE tested all features on the phone. I enjoy the phone and I do not believe making simple recommendations to Apple about improvements is a sin. While I applaud Apples iconoclastic approaches, it is not selling out to add some features. Has anyone responding negatively to the suggestions realized that If Apple did not care about the business user, they would not be advertising spreadsheets.

As to research needed for a $600 spend, face it, we are all risking on a new first generation device and no one fully explored this in the time they purchased the machine. While I am not trying to be a prick, $600 is not a lot of money even if it meant changing the phone. If you go back and look at Pocket PC's, $600 has been a common price leve.

While we all like Apple, they can take some knocks for missing ingredients. it does not mean we hate the device or company! Lets grow up a tad folks!

I don't think anyone, including myself, is responding negatively to the suggestions. Adding those functionalities would be fine. In my case, what I'm responding negatively to is the constant tone in these discussions that Apple 'needs' to do this or that. That it was a huge mistake that the didn't do this or that, etc.... That's why I and others are simply saying that if YOU feel that strongly make sure to add it to the suggestion list at either the iphone feedback or bugreporter. I agree with Kickaha that I'd rather them work on other things than most of these (the text/alarm bug being the exception) but Apple doesn't NEED to do either for the market they're initially trying to target.

BTW I mostly send spreadsheets over e-mail for NON-Business purposed. Home budgets, vacation planning, home improvements. I think that advertising spreadsheet viewing addresses a far larger market than just the Business market.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    BTW I'm amazed that I haven't seen comments on what I think it the most significant problem with the iPhone (IMO) which is the inability of the iPhone to receive calls when actively using the EDGE network (and yes I know you can't use EDGE when making a call). I found this out as I was accessing a web site which was quite complex and took a long time of constant activity to download. At the end of the download I had a new voicemail!!!

I've called AT&T and Apple and they've both confirmed that this is the case. So beware that if, for example you're skimming all over the place with Maps, or downloading a large site that has no breaks in the network access that you will not receive phone calls. I have filed a bug report with Apple suggesting that their network access take a break every few second to allow an incoming call to register. We'll see what happens. This is the greatest problem for my use of the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    An example for me. I like taking pictures. But I never really used the camera on my previous phones. Partially because they took crappy pictures and partially because Sprint charged to email the picture from the phone.

Now with the iPhone I have a much better camera and I can freely download the pictures into iPhoto. So I've been taking lots of pictures. Over 500 since I've owned the phone.

When I bought the phone I wasn't really thinking much about the camera and did not think about the flash. Now that I use the camera often I find myself in low light situations where a flash would be great.

But I don't now feel compelled to say that I was tricked or duped because Apple did not include a feature that most other phones offer. I knew it had no flash when I bought it. I suppose they have a reason for not including a flash but now I wish they had.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Texting is a closed ecosystem. Closed ecosystems die when faced with an open ecosystem that does more. This is just how it goes. They will die. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but SMS and MMS will go the way of CompuServe eventually, and be replaced by IM and email. I give it 4-5 years before the majority of phones are IM/email enabled by default.

Once again, here are my reasons for why SMS is superior to email and IM:
    • I can send a text to any phone number. I don't need to know my friend's email addresses.

• Checking mail is not popular on phones yet. As of today, people wouldn't get my email until they got home.

• Even if checking email on phones becomes popular... people get loads of email. My message would get mixed up in the spam. SMS doesn't get spam precisely because of the charges.

• Because people get so much email, they don't want an alert when a new one arrives. Thus I can't get someone's attention like a text could.

• With IM, there is no open standard. People are on different networks. With SMS, any phone can text any other phone.

• With IM, there is an expectation that if you show up as available, people can have a conversation with you.

• IM also requires a separate identifier (screen name) to a phone number. Why should I have to remember/store more than one piece of info in order to contact the same phone?

Quote:

Most carriers provide for IM/SMS and email/MMS gateways for those who need them in the transition.

Such gateways are no use. They require knowing which network someone uses! I have hundreds of contacts in my phone book and don't know or care about which network they're on.

Quote:

Eliminating SMS, MMS, and other expensive, limited technologies, and replacing them with open protocols such as Jabber and IMAP, is just common sense from the consumer's perspective.

Bollocks. As a consumer, I'd prefer SMS. I don't think I'm the only one.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Once again, here are my reasons for why SMS is superior to email and IM:
    • I can send a text to any phone number. I don't need to know my friend's email addresses.

So you need to know a number rather than some text (which is typically easier to remember)??? my phone contacts have the e-mail so no difference here.

Quote:
    • Checking mail is not popular on phones yet. As of today, people wouldn't get my email until they got home.

I think that's the point. E-mail, being an open system, will outpace SMS going forward.

Quote:
    • Even if checking email on phones becomes popular... people get loads of email. My message would get mixed up in the spam. SMS doesn't get spam precisely because of the charges.

Wrong here. I get SMS spam on my LANDLINE through stupid text to voice SMS. This despite the fact that I don't text.

Quote:
    • Because people get so much email, they don't want an alert when a new one arrives. Thus I can't get someone's attention like a text could.

If you want their attention why not call? For me the e-mail alert is fine. My junk mail is filtered out by my desktop system. The nice part of iMAP.

Quote:
    • With IM, there is no open standard. People are on different networks. With SMS, any phone can text any other phone.

True but to me this doesn't offset the cost of SMS. As has been said carriers are making a lot of money on this system.

Quote:
    • With IM, there is an expectation that if you show up as available, people can have a conversation with you.

Hence, the custom message option. "I'm here, I'm around, I'm out". In addition, I've learned to have no such expectation. What's really the difference. You seem to be expecting them to respond to the SMS anyway.

Quote:
    • IM also requires a separate identifier (screen name) to a phone number. Why should I have to remember/store more than one piece of info in order to contact the same phone?

This is actually a disadvantage of SMS as the IM address acts as a universal number you can reach whether they're on the phone, computer, public station, etc.

Quote:

Such gateways are no use. They require knowing which network someone uses! I have hundreds of contacts in my phone book and don't know or care about which network they're on.

Again how is this different than knowing the phone number. Its a piece of information. It's stored in the contact list?

Quote:

Bollocks. As a consumer, I'd prefer SMS. I don't think I'm the only one.

I'm sure you not. Still doesn't change the argument going forward.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    physguy, I had a reply all queued up, but you damned near copied it word for word. Creepy.

Ditto!
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

physguy, I had a reply all queued up, but you damned near copied it word for word. Creepy.

Ditto!

• Reply 28 of 79
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Again how is this different than knowing the phone number. Its a piece of information. It's stored in the contact list?

Because I'll always need to know the phone number, so as to call them if necessary. It's adding hassle to me (having to ask for and write down two pieces of information instead of one), for no discernible benefit and some definite drawbacks.

Spam? Never had any except from my network operator. I believe the Telephone Preference Service may work here too.

Quote:

Hence, the custom message option. "I'm here, I'm around, I'm out". In addition, I've learned to have no such expectation. What's really the difference. You seem to be expecting them to respond to the SMS anyway.

People can respond to an SMS at leisure. If the person is present, the message is dealt with immediately, but if they're busy or not present it's stored in an inbox until they're ready to respond.

Quote:

If you want their attention why not call?

Calling is for really important things, like if you're running late for a meeting and need to reschedule. Texting lets you find out (based on how quickly someone replies) if they're available for a chat.

I still maintain there's a place for a standard, interoperable (unlike IM), instant (unlike email), unobtrusive (unlike calling) form of messaging. Everyone who keeps telling me to find my friends' email addresses is missing the fact that it would take a lot of effort to do. I have friends with no net connection at all, and others who check once or twice a week. Even if everyone had email, it's a lot of work to gather their addresses, and you can't guarantee that the message will go directly to their phone.

Why mess with something that works, to replace it with something that requires more effort on my part and doesn't give any advantages? (The only advantage I can see is cost, and personally I have enough free text messages each month to not care about that one. I quite like the existence of the charges for spam control, as I've said.)

Amorya
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Some significant "head up arse" stuff being written on this thread.

Very, very few friends, family or people I have yet to meet have devices that support email or IM. but they ALL have devices that support SMS and can be reached by me now with SMS, albeit 'one by one' with the iPhone, and without compromising my ability to send or receive communications of any type. I'd rather Apple support my desire to reach them now in the manner I want (and I repeat, that every other device on the market supports!!) than wait for 4-5 years for everyone to adopt more elegant technology that will satisfy the Physguy fan boy types. I want a device that supports current needs. The markets has shown a willingness to pay the toll charge for SMS, much as it may offend the sensibility of some. I'm happy for the convenience SMS affords me.

Did some idiot seriously suggest "calling" instead of SMS?? What, I mean call everyone you wish to reach with a tidbit of information? Hey, why not just pay them a visit instead?

As for the rubbish that SMS is subject to spam too.. Jesus wept. It's a matter of scale isn't it. Some people will fear being struck by meteors; I'll focus my attention on a collision with another vehicle. I have never ever received SPAM on SMS in all the years I have had a phone. I get email from everyone, solicited and unsolicted. I receive SMS from family and friends i.e. those whom I really want to reach and who want to reach me whether they are online or not. They get priority.

Apple has delivered a sub-par SMS solution on the iPhone that "looks" cute but is low on functionality. They support it, so they should support it properly. In their wisdom, they have no IM support. When they deliver IM support, will they allow a user to SMS from it? Who knows.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Ad hominem attack

Very, very few friends, family or people I have yet to meet have devices that support email or IM. but they ALL have devices that support SMS and can be reached by me now with SMS, albeit 'one by one' with the iPhone, and without compromising my ability to send or receive communications of any type. I'd rather Apple support my desire to reach them now in the manner I want (and I repeat, that every other device on the market supports!!) than wait for 4-5 years for everyone to adopt more elegant technology that will satisfy the Physguy fan boy types. I want a device that supports current needs. The markets has shown a willingness to pay the toll charge for SMS, much as it may offend the sensibility of some. I'm happy for the convenience SMS affords me.

"I'd rather Apple support my desire to plug in serial devices (and I repeat, that every other device on the market supports!!) than wait for 4-5 years for everyone to adopt USB."

Remember the screaming about that surrounding the original iMac? Same thing. Look at where the puck is going, not where it is. If you're expecting anything different from Apple, you're not paying attention to the company's products.

Quote:

Ad hominem attack deleted - JL

And, straight to the namecalling. Excellent.

Whatever.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:

"I'd rather Apple support my desire to plug in serial devices (and I repeat, that every other device on the market supports!!) than wait for 4-5 years for everyone to adopt USB."

Remember the screaming about that surrounding the original iMac? Same thing. Look at where the puck is going, not where it is. If you're expecting anything different from Apple, you're not paying attention to the company's products.

Quote:

Ad hominem attack deleted - JL

And, straight to the namecalling. Excellent.

Whatever.

As BTW if you going to resort to name calling at least read the post(s) completely. It was said that SMS was to 'get their attention'. If you want their attention, not just to bug them with some inane tidbit if information they probably don't need this instant, then call them.

Cheers,
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Back on track a little bit.

Regarding the NEED to do these things. NEED, for a business is always driven by market/profit/costs. If this report is true

Mac/iPhone market report

Quote:

Abramsky also says that checks with Apple and AT&T stores find ?sustained iPhone sales momentum.? He continues to see 1.5 million shipped by the end of the fourth quarter, which is above the 1 million Apple has forecast. He sees total shipments of 14.3 million by the end of calendar 2008. Abramsky expects European iPhone carrier partners to be announced next month, with shipment to start in the calendar fourth quarter.

Then is seems that Apple is judging what it NEEDs to do quite well. Again, adding these features is a good thing and a number of them certainly will be, at some point.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

The markets has shown a willingness to pay the toll charge for SMS, much as it may offend the sensibility of some.

This wasn't decided by the market, the market was given no choice. Few people use SMS on a computer where IM and email are widely available. Look at it this way. If SMS, IM, and email were given an equal chance across the mobile phone market do you actually think people would pick SMS?

Quote:

I get email from everyone, solicited and unsolicted.

As long as your service has a good spam blocker its easy enough to limit who is allowed to send email into your inbox. There is nothing you can do to limit SMS messages. And you get charged for it.

Quote:

In their wisdom, they have no IM support.

I really want you to explain how and why this is wise?
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:

Tut.. tut... Using your poor historical analogy..Isn't it more along the lines of the iPhone supports a plug in serial device, but only one, yes just one, and doesn't support USB at all at present? What do we have now? No beloved and superior IM at all, but just a crippled SMS.

Now that iPhone sales have tailed off sharply, to whom is Apple trying to sell their iPhones? Certainly not the business market, that can be agreed. Will the European iPhone model be embraced by their SMS hungry users? No, not without changes. It is for that reason alone, that I believe Apple will deliver.

If Apple really cared to unshackle their customers from the clutches of the evil carriers charging them a ransom for SMS, maybe they'd conside VOIP support too, then eh, like Nokia? Now that really would be forward thinking.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:

Now that iPhone sales have tailed off sharply, to whom is Apple trying to sell their iPhones? Certainly not the business market, that can be agreed. Will the European iPhone model be embraced by their SMS hungry users? No, not without changes. It is for that reason alone, that I believe Apple will deliver.

Care to give at least some support to your statement that you might have some credibility. Did you read the link above? Where is there any credible information the "iPhone sales have tailed off sharply? ?
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Care to give at least some support to your statement that you might have some credibility. Did you read the link above? Where is there any credible information the "iPhone sales have tailed off sharply? ?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._in_cards.html

From July and CIBC analyst-- "Based on our store checks, we believe that demand for the iPhone has seen a significant decline in the past 10 days," analyst Ittai Kidron told clients. "We have noticed decent inventories at stores, and thin demand at best. In fact, most Apple store visitors were not looking at the device and only a very small subset bought it."

Surveys by Piper Jaffray also concurred.

Other than just the routine gushing for all things Apple, is there any evidence to support that a "significant decline" in iPhone sales has been reversed?
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This wasn't decided by the market, the market was given no choice. Few people use SMS on a computer where IM and email are widely available. Look at it this way. If SMS, IM, and email were given an equal chance across the mobile phone market do you actually think people would pick SMS?

Who cares!? Wrong point. Nearly all devices sold have neither email ior IM support. But hell, lets IM them anyway .. from my iPhone...Oops.. I can't which Apple doesn't support anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

Who cares!? Wrong point. Nearly all devices sold have neither email ior IM support. But hell, lets IM them anyway .. from my iPhone...Oops.. I can't which Apple doesn't support anyway.

Just sell the damned thing, as it's obviously not the device for you.

As for IM ... unlimited data + web-based IM. Solved. Apple doesn't need to provide their own client.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I really want you to explain how and why this is wise?

Sarcasm....Humour check!!
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._in_cards.html

From July and CIBC analyst-- "Based on our store checks, we believe that demand for the iPhone has seen a significant decline in the past 10 days," analyst Ittai Kidron told clients. "We have noticed decent inventories at stores, and thin demand at best. In fact, most Apple store visitors were not looking at the device and only a very small subset bought it."

Surveys by Piper Jaffray also concurred.

Other than just the routine gushing for all things Apple, is there any evidence to support that a "significant decline" in iPhone sales has been reversed?

Did you actually take the time to read the RECENT link above?