Source: Apple to build double-decker flagship in Montreal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. is finalizing plans for its first Canadian flagship shop, a spacious multi-story retail outlet to be located in the heart of Montreal, a source tells AppleInsider.

The Cupertino-based gadget maker is reported to have secured some 9,300 square feet of space along the 1300 block of Rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, where it plans to heavily alter -- but not raze -- an existing structure.

According to a set of initial design plans, the company has proposed that the ground floor of the building be raised and that existing column structures on the property be relocated. Plans also call for the building to receive a new roof and stainless steel facade.

On the interior, Apple's proposal calls for two stories of retail sales space to be joined by a trademark glass staircases, similar to the one found at its SoHo, New York and Regent Street, London locations.

Office space, a back-end stock room, and bathroom facilities will consume a portion of the 9,300 square feet, trimming the retail sales area to approximately 8,000 -- leaving the Montreal location a couple thousand square feet short of Apple's Manhattan-based shops.

Although Apple presently operates four retail locations in Canada, none of the stores are designated as flagship locations. Montreal would represent just the 10th high-profile location for Apple, joining its eight existing flagships spread across the U.S., U.K., and Japan, as well as a ninth under development in Manhattan's Meatpacking district.

Apple's flagship shops have been strategically placed in the world's most densely populated shopping districts and are conceived as projections of the Apple brand with their architecture and interior design. Each year, the company spends an undisclosed sum on marketing costs for the the high-profile locations, ranging up to $10 million.

Unexpected delays withstanding, Apple hopes to begin operating out of the Montreal location during the summer or early fall of next year, according to the source.

The site of Apple's future Motreal flagship retail store | Photo by Chris Erb

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Now THIS is starting to worry me.

I've had a long standing investment rule...

When companies start building architectural monuments to themselves, its time to bail.

Usually this takes the form of enormous new executive headquarters, but the proliferation of Apple retail 'flagships' is starting to look similar.

Put the money in the products, guys.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    For ounce, Montreal gets prefered over Toronto, good choice Steve, Merci beaucoup!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

When companies start building architectural monuments to themselves, its time to bail.

Usually this takes the form of enormous new executive headquarters, but the proliferation of Apple retail 'flagships' is starting to look similar.

Uhm... what are you talking about? Apple builds some nice stores, that means "it's time to bail"?

Now that CompuSmart has closed its retail locations in Ottawa, I think it's time Ottawa got a real AppleStore. The Rideau Centre or Byward Market are good locations.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple has plenty of cash lying around - I wouldn't worry that they're sacrificing R&D for architecture. I'm not sure why you're concerned about this...an attractive and attracting front-end to a product is extremely important. Apple continues to invest in image, which is a crucial piece of why they are what they are.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Seriously, when is Vancouver going to get an Apple Store? Montreal already has one!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Calgary already even had job postings on Apple's site for the Calgary store (over a year ago?)

Still nothing.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Uhm... what are you talking about? Apple builds some nice stores, that means "it's time to bail"?

Now that CompuSmart has closed its retail locations in Ottawa, I think it's time Ottawa got a real AppleStore. The Rideau Centre or Byward Market are good locations.

Nah, not actually gonna bail. The difference actually is that these sites actually aren't executive self-monuments.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dansgil View Post

Seriously, when is Vancouver going to get an Apple Store? Montreal already has one!

You mean, 'will have one', since it still isn't built yet. I am sure Vancouver will get one eventually, though I am surprised, yet pleased that Montreal was chosen as the flagship location.

As to Ottawa, other than visiting the parliament building, I am not sure it is such a 'fashionable' attraction. Heck, when I asked where the shopping street was, I was pointed towards the Rideau center - not cool. I wouldn't be surprised if the the proximity to Crescent street is not a coincidence - think F1 Grand Prix, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dansgil View Post

I'm in Seattle, but we just had visitors from the North that hadn't seen an Apple Store. There are three Toronto stores and _ZERO_ Vancouver stores, what gives?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    A nice flagship store in downtown Toronto is what Apple really needs. Or at least it would be nice for me...

====================

Ikea is Swedish for Out of Stock
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Yes, it's true, Montreal already has one Apple Store. It's located in the "Carrefour" shopping centre on the north shore (Laval). But it's just one of those "small" Apple stores. We want the big guns, with the staircase and all!

I'll be happy not to have to do a special trip (10 km) to go to their other store, which incidentally had received the aluminium iMac less than 48 hours after Steve presented them at the Special Event.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    in the old Holt Renfrew in Pacific Centre
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Hey! Laval is not in Montreal, it's a parallel world!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

A nice flagship store in downtown Toronto is what Apple really needs. Or at least it would be nice for me...

====================

Montreal makes more sense given that Toronto has become almost exclusively a financial centre with its artists incapable of surviving in its overpriced housing market. I love Toronto and chose to live here over Montreal but it seems to me that Montreal simply has a more vibrant artistic and imaginative life. There's a good reason why tourists no longer come to Toronto...

philip
  • Reply 15 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

You mean, 'will have one', since it still isn't built yet. I am sure Vancouver will get one eventually, though I am surprised, yet pleased that Montreal was chosen as the flagship location.

As to Ottawa, other than visiting the parliament building, I am not sure it is such a 'fashionable' attraction. Heck, when I asked where the shopping street was, I was pointed towards the Rideau center - not cool. I wouldn't be surprised if the the proximity to Crescent street is not a coincidence - think F1 Grand Prix, etc.

I find that too funny to hear, when I lived in Ottawa upon moving there the same exact thing happened to me. There are little gems, but basically you nailed it.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

====================

It'd be nice for me too, they probably would have done that if they didn't already have the apple store in the eaton centre, we're not new york yet where they put like 5 flagship stores!

Side note I went to get one of the new keyboards on monday and they said they haven't got them in stock yet. WTF.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Wow! This is so weird! I was JUST thinking yesterday "if Montreal got an Apple Flagship store, where would they put it?" (very nerdy I know but I'm also an urban planning student so I'm constantly thinking about what changes could happen in a city). My bike was out of commission and I had to walk a long length of of Ste-Catherine so I was trying to pick out some different places along the street. I have to go downtown in an hour so I'll take some pictures of the 1300 block and post them.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I want to move to Vancouver so they better get an apple store soon!

I'm kind of surprised Apple's taken so long to expand up here...and the first 3 stores were in Toronto. very odd.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

trademark glass staircases, similar to the one found at its SoHo, New York and Regent Street, London locations.]

Don't forget San Francisco
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

It'd be nice for me too, they probably would have done that if they didn't already have the apple store in the eaton centre, we're not new york yet where they put like 5 flagship stores!

Side note I went to get one of the new keyboards on monday and they said they haven't got them in stock yet. WTF.

I called the local Apple store and was told that they do not have any machines in stock for sales. Just display models on the floor. The wireless keyboards are still not available and will most likely wait until Sept for it.